maryportfuncity

The Fringes Of Fame/family Of The Famous

I'd consider picking him, but I don't think this chap be able to walk the walk as well as he can talk the talk...

Absolutely DDT, there's a fair history of near-terminal cases flaunting the imperfection but failing to follow through on promises. If we forget why we're here for a second the whole medical ethics debate on this stuff becomes more complex and demanding with every breakthrough. Re Godot's points above......I know I had a wee basket of low hanging fruit this year but it's hardly paid off. 3 still breathing and one dead and spurned by the very national paper so keen to devote a page to her 'tragic' status last December. Honestly, that'll teach me to read the Daily Mirror whilst waiting for a carry out curry and then change my DDP team in a knee jerk manner as a result. If memory serves I bumbed the very aged Mark Felt to make way for her.

Anyway, for what it's worth I'm planning a much more mainstream team with - probably - one blatant low hangin' nobody, cos I'd hate to let yers all down.

Does Trudi 'I'll be dead in two years, honest!' Endersby still count in the low hangers, I wonder.

• Like 1

Pausch was a megastar, a completely different kettle of academic. He was a star just waiting for the right trigger to launch his career. Unfortunately that was cancer. I think the same could be said for Jane Tomlinson or this woman, Deborah Bullerjahn, people who are spurred on by their illness to do inspiring things.

On the other two, sure, I just picked from the pack, never heard of them. I'm not trying to moralise for heaven's sake. The point has already been made that we can hardly do that here. But I just think there's so much to choose from we don't need assisted suicides in the DDP. A win with that kind of team is tarnished somehow. Yes, you can party, but it would be a bit flat.

Looks to me like you are trying to moralise then.

It does to me too, but I dare say I will manage to sweep away any vestige of dignity in these posts with a DDP team that positively reeks of hypocrisy. That said, I still haven't decided whether to run this year even though the team (with a few last minute adjustments, no doubt) is snorting in the stalls just waiting for the off. I suppose the "will he won't he" judgement might add some spice to the pick. But the idea that I might be willing some poor unfortunate to an untimely end in the land of cuckoo clocks sits uncomfortably on what little I have of a conscience. I'd prefer OoO to do the decent thing and relieve my sensitive nature of this distasteful burden of choice.

I'd prefer OoO to do the decent thing and relieve my sensitive nature of this distasteful burden of choice.

What, you want him to take YOU to Switzerland!!!!

Godot man, I was really looking forward to meeting you at DLcon III.

I'd prefer OoO to do the decent thing and relieve my sensitive nature of this distasteful burden of choice.

:D

We haven't had that have we yet? I look forward to meeting you too MPFC some day soon.... if I can keep out of Switzerland and ration my posts long enough.

:D

We haven't had that have we yet? I look forward to meeting you too MPFC some day soon.... if I can keep out of Switzerland and ration my posts long enough.

You won't regret hanging around to meet MPFC, Godot - he's incredibly intelligent, and his capacity for mashed potato is second to none.

As for the ongoing debate, I'm obviously missing the intricacies of it as it seems simple - were they famous (fame according to whatever the rules for fame are) before they were ill? Yes - allowed, no - not allowed.

We've had this debate before of course, over Josie Grove and I recall Godot being similarly troubled by that situation. In the event I didn't pick Grove for pretty much the same reasons and the controversy lead to a change in DDP rules.

The 'right to die' debate has been sparked by the suicide of the rugby player and as we all know, once a story or an issue gets going in the media it spreads like a virus. So there would be no avoiding the obits for Mr Martin.

The unfortunate Mr Martin's plight is on the verge of hitting the mainstream. As for the before illness/ after illness fame factor, the brutal attack was news back in 1996 and his subsequent dealing with it lead to a book being written and published in Germany. Now that is not really on the level of Paul Newman, but it does approach Randy Pausch territory...

Of course there is no guarantee that Mr Martin will do as he intends. I'd imagine the service at Dignitas would cost a fair few roubles and Martin doesn't look in any way able to raise the necessary funds, unless of course a compassionate benefactor might intervene - hands off that chequebook Maryport! :D

Godot, personally I would love to ban all those "famous for being ill" right out - but remember, there's potentially 500 teams entering, I'm up against strict deadlines to get games open & haven't really the time or patience any more to work out if Purdy counts, Martin doesn't - Endersby counts, Ainscow doesn't, Darwin does, Mevsimler doesn't etc. Even less patience to explain how these people count, but these don't

Bear in mind, a lot of people just play this casually and don't give a toss about whether people are right or not morally. Also bear in mind, 400 odd teams are pretty satisfied with the current status quo.

But it's a dead pool, for f**k's sake, I can't really moralise or expect people too. Is picking Seve Ballestros morally better because he is famous? The poor chap is still relatively young, very popular, yet many DDP'rs are licking their lips with relish with his picking.

If you can come up with an easy, cast-iron selection process, then I'll put it in for 2010, but as I said in the 2009 DDP thread AND in my e-mail for the 2009 rules, it's just a rather nasty can of worms which will come back to bite everyone, most of all me.

However - if anyone picks a team solely of famous for being ill, or picks a team with a majority of famous for being ill, I'll ask them to rethink. If people want to name one or two.. so be it. But - MPFC please note - a team packed full of famous for being ill is pretty likely to be declined.

As for me, I won't pick any of these people or Seve. I'm going to stick with elderly people (and some not quite so elderly) who are actually famous. Some of them aren't even ill. I've got to tone my team down, it's rather embarassing when I get so many hits & I run the game.

Remember, "famous for being ill" doesn't just mean terminal illness. It means unknown until a negative situation thrust them into the spotlight. Hence it includes the McCann's, the Darwins, Ian Huntley etc - it's a slightly broader line when you delve through it.

It's up the individual choice, really. I'm not picking Seve either, but that's because I don't think he'll cark it anyway. As for the man at the centre of this little contre temps...maybe, maybe not. The whole purpose of DDP is picking who you think is going to die in a given year, so lets get down to those brass tacks...We've got six weeks to make up our minds!

As OoO said one or two low hanging fruit would be within bounds - but if they are allowed, I'll not be picking more than two "famous for being ill" choices for the DDP in 2009.

Overall, you cannot expect Odstock to ban the "famous for being ill" stereotype because that category expands into what is generally acceptable and cannot be excluded. With knowing that, those local candidates with terminal cancer are legal if they manage to receive the qualified recognition.

I guess one might view that result as being unfair but I think you need to look beyond the probability of these candidates getting a mention. Look at Carkers Convention, he has four hits. The experiment failed! The risk did not gain any profit. Isn't he proof? Shouldn't that performance set the example?

The real value in this game we play narrows down to simplicity. If you need an example, look at Godot's waiting list. I think the difference in my team next year will be how exact and obvious it is. I'm not saying making gambles never pays but it shouldn't be anybody's approach. At this point, my team is currently stacked with those who will have obituaries arriving shortly so Master Mind is lucky if one local candidate is selected.

hands off that chequebook Maryport!

You call me sick, and you're denying the man a Christmas present!

But - MPFC please note - a team packed full of famous for being ill is pretty likely to be declined.

It's also very likely to lose given the number of 'genuine' famous types facing death in the next few months. As I said earlier on OoO, I'm planning a couple of those and 18 from the usual suspects list.

It's also very likely to lose given the number of 'genuine' famous types facing death in the next few months. As I said earlier on OoO, I'm planning a couple of those and 18 from the usual suspects list.

You hear that Godot? No panic. No panic. So Mary, if you don't mind me asking, what candidate is eating you alive right now? Is it Rabbi Phillip Berg? Maybe it's Tomoj Tanabe who still is having daily milk.. or could it be that Trudi is faking her illness because those Anti Tobacco campaigners will do anything it takes? Think Rob Reiner.

Anyway, obscurity is really what deprives success in this game. I want all my candidates to have frequent media coverage next year. I DON'T WANT DEAD BEATS! That's the lesson I learn from this year. What's very difficult is finding a unique pick.

hands off that chequebook Maryport!

You call me sick, and you're denying the man a Christmas present!

For his last Noel?

what candidate is eating you alive right now?

None of them, despite them messing me about by staying alive I've got respect for some of the biggest teases on my deadpools over the years; like Henry Allingham and Harry Patch.

Just worth mentioning as this thread is back that only one person who completely falls under the "famous for being ill" category has been chosen out of over 100 teams so far for 2009 DDP, and that one person has been chosen twice.

So, thankfully, people are generally picking "celebrities" and I hope it stays that way. However, the more "professional" teams are largely still to come.

Just worth mentioning as this thread is back that only one person who completely falls under the "famous for being ill" category has been chosen out of over 100 teams so far for 2009 DDP, and that one person has been chosen twice.

So, thankfully, people are generally picking "celebrities" and I hope it stays that way. However, the more "professional" teams are largely still to come.

Professional...how do I get me some of that money? I will not take any Jade Goddy types...although to not take Swayze is penalizing yourself.

However, the more "professional" teams are largely still to come.

You've got to be talking about Rotten Ali and the other legends, right? I mean, the last time I looked I was so far down the list I had to scroll just to find my team in the standings.

However, the more "professional" teams are largely still to come.

You've got to be talking about Rotten Ali and the other legends, right? I mean, the last time I looked I was so far down the list I had to scroll just to find my team in the standings.

In dispatches, thanks but I'm only about 22nd with the points from Harold Pinter's passing. I'm working on it right now and I'm have a really hard time, sorting even more data out.

On a Facebook group dedicated to heaping abuse upon Tracy Connx@*ly and the other two killers of Baby P, someone posted the lines below.

To be fair, it was her baby.

One can do what they like with their own property, no?

The freedom to beat/murder/eat your child is a core value of the blue, and that is why I shall always vote Conservative!!

It's irony, right?

A man from Milton Keynes is set to win £5,000 betting on his own life.

Doctors diagnosed Jon Matthews with a rare form of lung cancer in April 2007 and gave him nine months to live. But Mr Matthews, 58, made a £100 bet at 50 to one with William Hill bookmakers that he would beat the survival time for this condition.

It's turning into a nice little earner, as Jon Matthews chalks up another five grand. If only Jane Goodie had shown such resilience, though I suppose she did rake in a bit more than 10k.

A stronger possibility of an obit after this, and a unique DDP pick for the canny Clathrate Gun.

Then there's everyone's favourite pin up: Winnie Langley. I took a long-shot punt on her for the DDP mainly because I thought if she went the various papers who'd covered her 100th birthday wouldn't be able to resist running that great picture again.

Winnie Langley Gives Up Smoking.

Then there's everyone's favourite pin up: Winnie Langley. I took a long-shot punt on her for the DDP mainly because I thought if she went the various papers who'd covered her 100th birthday wouldn't be able to resist running that great picture again.

Winnie Langley Gives Up Smoking.

Bugger, I packed it in on Monday, if I'd have known about this story I wouldn't have bothered for another 59 years.

We were fairly exercised about Noel Marttin (might've made a convenient spelling mistake there), in the run up to the current DDP. My mate Paul the Postie - who selected him for his current Deathrace team - was bemoaning Martin's current hold on life and the lack of current information on his state of mind.

Anyone know how he, or Trudi (I've outlived my claims in the anti-smoking commercials) Endersby, are doing at the moment?