maryportfuncity

The Fringes Of Fame/family Of The Famous

Assisted suicide law, probably helps us hereabouts. Makes Noel Mar-tin's case clearer and - despite what Paul the Postie seemed to think at work today - won't stop all those topping themselves from getting news coverage.
  • Like 1

Toronto Singer-Songwriter Taylor Mitchell Attacked and Killed by Coyotes

10/28/2009 By Brock Thiessen

After just recently releasing her Exclaim!-recommended debut album, For Your Consideration, 19-year-old Toronto folk singer Taylor Mitchell has died after being attacked by two coyotes in Nova Scotia’s Cape Breton Highlands National Park.

http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/generalarti...&fid1=42169

Toronto Singer-Songwriter Taylor Mitchell Attacked and Killed by Coyotes

10/28/2009 By Brock Thiessen

After just recently releasing her Exclaim!-recommended debut album, For Your Consideration, 19-year-old Toronto folk singer Taylor Mitchell has died after being attacked by two coyotes in Nova Scotia’s Cape Breton Highlands National Park.

I guess those upcoming shows won't be happening now? All good publicity though - she'll probably sell bucketloads now.

Right on the pre-Christmas cue The Sun devoted most of a double page today to Angela Gregg, mum of three with inoperable meningioma and a list of things to do before she dies......

Form on these stories is the tabloids love 'em tragic and stoic pre-Christmas and drop 'em cynically pre-death. Rachel Jones a couple of years back being a painful DDP pick. But I thought I'd report the one above and leave picking her DDP wise to our collective conscience and our collective faith in the caring nature of Sun journalism.

Just before I submit my DDP team, does anyone know for sure if Trudi Endersby - as in 'I'm dying of lung cancer so I'll make a commercial warning others' - is still alive? She was a goner inside two years according to the publicity when the commercial was screened in 2006. All the Google hits I get are either deadpools or publicity around the original television campaign.

I'm assuming she's still with us.

Beverly Fisher

"BEVERLY Fisher, who at age 15 began a love affair with 48-year-old swashbuckling Hollywood actor Errol Flynn and was his last girlfriend, has died of complications from diabetes and congestive heart disease in a Los Angeles hospital. She was 67.

Two years into the torrid affair, the then Beverley Aadland was with the Hobart-born Flynn when he died of a heart attack in Vancouver, Canada, in October 1959."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...anged-home.html

A sad story, but big news? Whoops, sorry, it's the Daily Mail...

There really can be no journalistic trend worse than padding out the obits of civillians with quotes taken from their Facebook wall.

Fair point in general re Facebook, but by the looks of it, social networking WAS her life. It's the way she'd have wanted it, or summat.

Given that level of coverage for Flowers' mum I'd say there's a fair chance of DDP and related points for those selecting Joe Stone (seriously ill father of film star Sharon).

Michael Lowes of airtime-filling reality TV show "Bad Lads' Army" has killed himself aged 28. Not interesting in and of itself, but worth it for the suggestion that it means any reality TV participant who carks it is probably going to get a UK-wide national obituary.

Michael Lowes of airtime-filling reality TV show "Bad Lads' Army" has killed himself aged 28. Not interesting in and of itself, but worth it for the suggestion that it means any reality TV participant who carks it is probably going to get a UK-wide national obituary.

Good point re the coverage Spade. But some of this is hard to call. A few of us around here have been disappointed by picking people who's health - mental or physical - is very suspect and covered by the media, only to seem them ignored when they go. I have a hunch Claire Blair WILL get coverage. I think suicidal reality television stars are probably more likely to get a flleeting mention than some of the terminally ill 'ordinary' people whose brave battles make tabloid stories.

I'm guessing the DDP and HPDP will throw up loads of candidates fit for a paragraph and unfit for a busy thread or proper obit. Mebbe a good idea to collect such creatures on one thread so's those of us with an - ahem - sporting interest can keep tabs on 'em.

Dawn Hughes' illness was the subject of television coverage as part of Channel 4's 'Mummy Diaries.' She's also made appearances on BBC television and the BBC web site, her husband works for the Beeb.

Dawn Hughes died in November last year, and didn't get an obituary, as expected - in fact the only mention was this in her local paper 4 months later - Hughes tribute

A man from Milton Keynes is set to win £5,000 betting on his own life.

Doctors diagnosed Jon Matthews with a rare form of lung cancer in April 2007 and gave him nine months to live. But Mr Matthews, 58, made a £100 bet at 50 to one with William Hill bookmakers that he would beat the survival time for this condition.

It's turning into a nice little earner, as Jon Matthews chalks up another five grand. If only Jane Goodie had shown such resilience, though I suppose she did rake in a bit more than 10k.

A stronger possibility of an obit after this, and a unique DDP pick for the canny Clathrate Gun.

No need for a stewards' enquiry: Matthews is dead.

The tabloids will probably gift us DDP points with a report, as and when.

I can't find any mention of it anywhere else, but according to this he's dead. However, no UK obit. Even more however, he seemingly died "last year"...

This is desperate, he must have snuffed it between the 4th and 31st of December. That's 3 of my DDP team dead on the start line and none of us knew about two of the deaths (Hewlett and Stone). At least I got Trudi Endersby on as a sub for Cahal Daly. Trudi Endersby is still alive, right?

Can't find owt about his death either.

Daily Mail were reporting him as still alive as of March 24th this year, but that could possibly be a lazy sub-editor not bothering to doublecheck and just going off old reports.

This is desperate, he must have snuffed it between the 4th and 31st of December. That's 3 of my DDP team dead on the start line and none of us knew about two of the deaths (Hewlett and Stone). At least I got Trudi Endersby on as a sub for Cahal Daly. Trudi Endersby is still alive, right?

Can't find owt about his death either.

My esteemed predecessor Octopus has a hunch that Trudi has snuffed it....

• Like 1