Sign in to follow this  
Octopus of Odstock

2009 DDP

I'd also stop any selections of people who are Southend United footballers.

Present or past?

That would rule out Stan Collymore for one....

And - Ronnie Whelen, Neville Southall, Lee Chapman, Frank Lampard (no, not him, his dad) and the caravan dwelling superstar that is/was Freddie Eastwood.

I'd also stop any selections of people who are Southend United footballers.

Present or past?

That would rule out Stan Collymore for one....

Stan's immortal, so no point in going for him anyway.

I think Lord Football has hit onto something here (no, NOT the Southend United thing)...

Although not a fan of Wikipedia, it might help distinguish the ill for being ill & the famous for something else.

ie Tomlinson, Hester & Pausch.... allowed

Jones, Hughes & Grove.. not allowed

Good suggestion, but it would only be enforced in this case, rather than as a whole because there's some aspects of society where people are clearly famous enough yet still don't have a Wikipedia page - ie sport etc.

The bulk of replies since the last post are still of the same ilk, keep the lot of them, but not the ill for being ill.

Hmmm..the Wikipedia option has been used in other deadpools so it's not unreasonable to have it as a rule.

However, there will be cases of deaths getting tons of obits but no Wikipedia entry and those who have a substantial

entry but no legit obit. Tricky one...

I say its just about as good as it could be.

If the number of qualifing obit sources were increased, then I would have it that to score points you would have to get obit's from at least two of them.

I'd also like a ban on 110 year old people or over. Its not sport in that nearly half of them die every year!

Famous for just being sick is boarder line, but then I would think a ban would be better than no change.

OoO - just in case you have too much work to put it, to keep this fine show on the road, then could I say that you should top out at a maximum of 365 teams (first come, first served) next year.

I'd also like a ban on 110 year old people or over. Its not sport in that nearly half of them die every year!

We'll see about that, no deaths on my CPDP theme team of WW1 vets as of yet. Statistically speaking the death rate isn't 50% annually in this group. I don't think it's even that high in persons over 115. I'd be against that rule on two counts, firstly some of them are minor celebs in their own right. So Harry Patch - recent best-selling author and spokesman for a generation as he visited the old battlefields one final time this year - generates headlines. He is as famous - say - as some seventies rock star on the comeback trail. Secondly, their cussedness in hanging onto life does make them tougher dp picks to call than - say - Paul Newman. If we're going to ban them on statistical probability we'd have to look at banning the bankers we've enjoyed over the years like Lou Rawles and Newman. I've picked some real oldies - like Henry Allingham - and lost out over a whole year before.

Odstock, this is my view on the subject. The problem is that it's very difficult to categorize what is qualified and what isn't. Randy Pausch, who gained epic fame for being ill, was one of the most inspirational people of the year. I think the obituary coverage clarified that. The downside of attempting to label the stereotype of an illegal candidate is that a rare example like Pausch, will exist.

One suggestion might be the Wikipedia Solution which has been mentioned before. The conflict with that is it closes several doors of eligibility and that shouldn't be the plan. I would be open to leaving "Gamblers rolling the dice" because the risk of great sacrafice will measure their success. However, the thought of a successful Carker's Convention using the same "local strategy" constantly reminds me that Joanne Evans is not what DDP is about.

Then again, compared to those heartless little scum bags who stacked JG at the top on their lists ..... we are all charity workers! (I know it was required) and by the way, I'm not trying to offend maryportfuncity. I'm just using his approach this year as a standard example. I'm sure he will be seeking revenge ..

Odstock, this is my view on the subject. The problem is that it's very difficult to categorize what is qualified and what isn't. Randy Pausch, who gained epic fame for being ill, was one of the most inspirational people of the year. I think the obituary coverage clarified that. The downside of attempting to label the stereotype of an illegal candidate is that a rare example like Pausch, will exist.

One suggestion might be the Wikipedia Solution which has been mentioned before. The conflict with that is it closes several doors of eligibility and that shouldn't be the plan. I would be open to leaving "Gamblers rolling the dice" because the risk of great sacrafice will measure their success. However, the thought of a successful Carker's Convention using the same "local strategy" constantly reminds me that Joanne Evans is not what DDP is about.

Then again, compared to those heartless little scum bags who stacked JG at the top on their lists ..... we are all charity workers! (I know it was required) and by the way, I'm not trying to offend maryportfuncity. I'm just using his approach this year as a standard example. I'm sure he will be seeking revenge ..

I'm glad you mentioned Randy Pausch, Banshees because last year I said that he would be a test case for the obits and he passed. But I think the criteria for him was slightly different as he was at least 'known' for something before his illness, albeit by not many people. He used whatever platform he had (as a University professor) to enlighten the public on his illness and his way of dealing with it. Joanne Evans may yet 'inspire', but she probably has lttle time to do that...

Okay, I've made two decisions about this topic, and have to decide on one more before I post it to the whole DDP community:

• Any famous for being ill already on the DDP, either this year or previous years can be picked
  • All teams will be restricted to a maximum of 1 famous for being ill pick

If you had to push me now, because I cannot think of a decent compromise, it is probable that I will have to allow anybody to be picked - Evans, JimBob Jones or whoever.

I also think those already named should stay as valid picks as they have been allowed in previous years & it would be a bit hypocritical to suddenly ban them.

But if I restrict it to a maximum of 1 per team (and this doesn't mean people HAVE to pick one!), then that might dissuade people going for them, or at least would make them think twice whether Evans, Endersby, Taylor or Ainscow are better picks.

That's my thinking at the moment, it's not completely set in stone until a couple of weeks.

Oh yeah, no executions. I have decided on that, and it will remain banned.

If there are any queries on who is famous & who isn't, then you can PM/e-mail me - if you don't want to reveal the name because you don't want to give away a good pick, then simply put a rough outline of who they are or what they do.

As a general guide:

Endersby, Evans, Ainscow, Mevismler, Kelly Taylor etc are all "famous" for being ill

Paul Birch, Atkins etc are all "famous" before their illness.

The likes of Barry George, The Darwins & famous murderers etc., Diana Lamplugh - all come into the "famous" category.

I think it should be reasonable to work out who is what, but like I say, any queries, let me know.

Truth is, though, death depending, I have already pretty much chosen my 2009 team & the likes of Evans won't be on it.

These shenanigans make one appreciate the DL selection method all the more - if five or six old buffers in a pub want to pick Chapman Pincher or Oscar Niemeyer from now until eternity they will, and nothing anyone says hereabouts will make the slightest odds. :)

I know executions are banned, but is it still possible to have someone on the list who is on Death Row

but will die of other causes?

I know executions are banned, but is it still possible to have someone on the list who is on Death Row

That sounds fair. But if they lived long enough to meet their execution, the points should not be given.

That sounds fair. But if they lived long enough to meet their execution, the points should not be given.

Yep, that's about it, really.

For example, you could pick Shoko Asahara or Chemical Ali or the Bali Bombers and if they die of any causes other than execution, points are awarded.

If you pick any of them, and they are executed, no points.

But that was always the case this year as well.

What about someone like Adrian Sudbury who did tons of hard work gaining much needed attention for bone marrow donation on Baldy's Blog - now a book? He would probably have gone in for the DDP himself had he known about it.

What about someone like Adrian Sudbury who did tons of hard work gaining much needed attention for bone marrow donation on Baldy's Blog - now a book? He would probably have gone in for the DDP himself had he known about it.

Sudbury would have been my joker next year if he were still living. Instead, I'm currently at debate with myself of who will fill that role. I'm leaning towards Patrick Swayze but I have a few other choices who are without question, DDP Dynamite. I have one candidate who none of you have and I'm telling you, it will be massive if it works out.

It's a little premature for this whole discussion but I think limiting one Joanne Evans-candidate to a team solves the problem. I'm not suggesting that a young woman's death should be rushed here - but her obituary response will determine if I exaggerated this or not.

Guest Peter

Sudbury would have been my joker next year if he were still living. Instead, I'm currently at debate with myself of who will fill that role. I'm leaning towards Patrick Swayze but I have a few other choices who are without question, DDP Dynamite. I have one candidate who none of you have and I'm telling you, it will be massive if it works out.

It's a little premature for this whole discussion but I think limiting one Joanne Evans-candidate to a team solves the problem. I'm not suggesting that a young woman's death should be rushed here - but her obituary response will determine if I exaggerated this or not.

Maggie Thatcher ? She's knocking back a bottle a day and long overdue her comeuppance!

You need a dictatorship not a democracy

Time all being well, I will do the "reminder" e-mail to all current & potential players this weekend, or at latest, Monday - along with the normal update. If there's anyone not already in that hasn't applied yet for the 2009 DDP (Windsor?) etc, then I will copy the e-mail in here if required.

Again, time all being well, I will actually open the entries early - I am looking at December 1st as a possibility.

I have made my mind up with the obits, executions & everything except the famous for being famous, which I will make a final decision on tonight after a good sleep.

Thanks for your patience, people.

Here is the current standings for 2008 with 52 days to go...

1. The Living End 108 - 13 hits (Record)

2. Wormer, He's a Dead Man! Marmalard, Dead! Niedermeyer... 98 - 11 hits

3. Canadian Paul 95 - 13 hits (Record)

3. Godot's Waiting List 95 - 12 hits

5. They're Dead, Y'Know! 84 - 12 hits

6. Master Mind 83 - 10 hits

7. Tonight Matthew, I'm Going To Be Badly-Torn Boy 82 - 9 hits

8. Meet Your Maker 80 - 10 hits

8. No Noose Is Good Noose 80 - 9 hits

10. Octopus of Odstock 67 - 10 hits

Still all to play for...

Incidentially, Larry James' death is the 126th for the year and is a new record!

If there's anyone not already in that hasn't applied yet for the 2009 DDP (Windsor?) etc, then I will copy the e-mail in here if required.

I will need the application email please.

I'm going to hit the road for a little while but first I wanted to congratulate Odstock on becoming a DL custodian. I think you were the essential candidate for the position and now you have access to the other dimension. Everyone acts a little differently over there.

I also wanted to ask you if any additions could be made in DDP at this point in the year. The famous for being ill issue is settled but I like the idea of a new bonus. Without saying anything else, is this up for consideration?

I also wanted to ask you if any additions could be made in DDP at this point in the year. The famous for being ill issue is settled but I like the idea of a new bonus. Without saying anything else, is this up for consideration?

Thanks Banshees.

Nothing new is going to come in now - it's not fair, considering I've just sent an e-mail saying "no change and more obit sources".

However I'll consider 2010 options, if I'm still doing it by then.

Ultimately though, things are moving along pretty nicely. Only about 1% of those playing are peeved off, and everyone else seems content enough, so I'll leave it as it is for now.

To be honest, the famous for being ill issue isn't really settled at all, but feedback since the e-mail is that there is consensus that there doesn't seem to be an easy way to decide it.

To be honest, the famous for being ill issue isn't really settled at all, but feedback since the e-mail is that there is consensus that there doesn't seem to be an easy way to decide it.

There is a very easy way to settle it.

For the person to qualify for entry, they would need to have some degree of fame BEFORE they became ill due to a terminal illness. If they only became noted after, or as a result of their terminal illness, they should not be valid candidates.