Sign in to follow this  
Octopus of Odstock

2009 DDP

Quite frankly, I don’t give a sh*t anymore who people pick.

I really don't give a sh*t either. I'm sure there will be several "experimental" teams which will consist of betting on "obituary coverage" and obscure "local sob stories" of which they will invest much confidence in. I will resist this temptation and create a product that will "rise above" this back-stabbing strategy with using both obvious and undervalued candidates. The true value is they who are not gone but forgotten. Master Mind's strength will be in his simplicity. Call me GM if you want, I will be reorganizing my team from just about now until the final hours like a general manager hungry at the trade deadline.

Edited by Banshees Scream

Cheers, Windsor, and apologies to all for having two posts in a row, but I wanted to put a separate reply to this.

That's a possibility, yes, and one which I will consider along the other ideas. My instant guesses of people who I'd choose is Rude Kid & Fallen Sparrow, and then probably one veteran of the old days, one former winner, and maybe one new entry, picked by random.

I do really want to sort this out but rather than make a snap decision, I'd rather get the whole 2009 processing & updating out of the way, and then I should have about 8 or 9 months to sort this out, hopefully as democratically as possible.

But I appreciate that Windsor & it's certainly one of the better ideas so far.

There is another option which is all players simply vote for what is allowed & what isn't & the majority view is taken. Then I could say everyone had their chance to vote & it would be clearer what would be allowed & what not.

PS TMIB, don't worry about it.

I'm not sure about that OoO. It could be in individual teams interests to vote down a potential points bonanza for a rival team over some minor quibble. A bit of gerrymandering here and there is not beyond us...

Guest TDF

Famous for being ill - I don't think there will be a 100% watertight method of counting them in or out. Tightening the obituary requirements may help, people who make the headlines purely for being ill don't tend to be interesting enough to credit a Guardian full obit.

How about an American bonus? Additional points for a pick dying on the 4th July or Thanksgiving.

I guess my two-penneth won't help. At the end of the day I will try to select picks that meet whatever rules are set.

Thanks for organising the pool OoO.

OoO, I've got you a Christmas present!

can%20of%20worms.jpg

The good news is that we already have a healthy 12 teams entered before December.

The bad news is that three of them have selected someone already dead.

Here we go again...

:rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Thought I'd bump this thread up in readiness for the annual declaration of teams for 2009...

Oh, it's all getting jolly exciting, isn't it? I haven't actually entered my team yet, will do it in the morning, I'm not leaving anything to chance. Hang on in there, Norman!

My team has been submitted - I do hope it isn't me with a stiff pick!

The team is the forever underachieving Brown Bread.

DWB :)

My team has been submitted - I do hope it isn't me with a stiff pick!

The team is the forever underachieving Brown Bread.

DWB :)

sumitted my stiff ones yesterday . I was going to hang on until the last minute...but it was all just too exciting :)

I'm holding out till midday tomorrow. One last evening of weighing up the options...

Right, that's my team picked, in my very scientific way of a) going through my last year's list and seeing who I still think will die and bee) going through the 'Ideas and Possibilities' thread and picking out the ones I've heard of. A winning formula.

Right, that's my team picked, in my very scientific way of a) going through my last year's list and seeing who I still think will die and bee) going through the 'Ideas and Possibilities' thread and picking out the ones I've heard of. A winning formula.

Thats pretty much what I did.....so my 15-16 unique picks (which is what I hoped for) , will drop to 4 or 5 ... :)

It'll be tomorrow morning for me, I'm smelling people keeping powder dry all around, especially with the news that certain terminal cases - Dai Llewellyn and Wendy Richard - are 'getting better,' thought I'd check out all the impartial evidence I could find on that before deciding on the final line up. Richard is out, Llewellyn in at the moment.

It'll be tomorrow morning for me, I'm smelling people keeping powder dry all around, especially with the news that certain terminal cases - Dai Llewellyn and Wendy Richard - are 'getting better,' thought I'd check out all the impartial evidence I could find on that before deciding on the final line up. Richard is out, Llewellyn in at the moment.

Dai was in for me....I wish I could change it now... :)

Llewellyn is/was in a hospice, which was good enough for me, they don't let just anyone in. His liver is so ravaged by booze that it might even give up the ghost before the cancer gets him. I went for Richard as well, as I'm trying to stick to my policy of giving younger players a chance to impress (a bit like Exeter City). Wendy Richard isn't getting better anyway, she has terminal cancer and has just temporarily stopped getting worse.

Shih Ming Teh, Jack Ramsay, Ian Cundy and Rosemary Pitman have all been booted out of the first team after failing to take their chances to score this season.

Llewellyn is/was in a hospice, which was good enough for me, they don't let just anyone in. His liver is so ravaged by booze that it might even give up the ghost before the cancer gets him. I went for Richard as well, as I'm trying to stick to my policy of giving younger players a chance to impress (a bit like Exeter City). Wendy Richard isn't getting better anyway, she has terminal cancer and has just temporarily stopped getting worse.

Shih Ming Teh, Jack Ramsay, Ian Cundy and Rosemary Pitman have all been booted out of the first team after failing to take their chances to score this season.

I think you should reconsider leaving out Cundy. I left out Pinter because of his slow progress and then look what happened...

Richard is out (at the moment) and I can't seem to find a place for Wisdom. Like you DDT, I've got a youngish squad, which can be a risky

strategy...

I'm locked and loaded. As soon as I submitted, I instantly regretted some of my choice. Oh Well.

I'm locked and loaded. As soon as I submitted, I instantly regretted some of my choice. Oh Well.

Me too! Wendy out for me too, not convinced.

I think you should reconsider leaving out Cundy. I left out Pinter because of his slow progress and then look what happened...

Richard is out (at the moment) and I can't seem to find a place for Wisdom. Like you DDT, I've got a youngish squad, which can be a risky

strategy...

Wisdom is a cert, TMIB, have a heart and let him in.

Another thing, I would have had James Bevel and Ray Deakin in my team, but they both died too early, which is lucky for me as neither of them have managed to get UK obits. It doesn't exactly bode well for the rest of my Z listers.

strategy...

Wisdom is a cert, TMIB, have a heart and let him in.

Another thing, I would have had James Bevel and Ray Deakin in my team, but they both died too early, which is lucky for me as neither of them have managed to get UK obits. It doesn't exactly bode well for the rest of my Z listers.

Yes but he's worth peanuts isn't he? And every man and his dog will have him in their team. Far better to pick someone who'll peg it but only a few others will have and be worth more points into the bargain...

Actually my 2009 team is shaping up similar to the 2008 one. Namely about half a dozen or so dead certs and then the rest are hunches, educated guesses and hopefully a couple of uniques (I was dead lucky with the couple that went this year as I had no idea of their health).

I'm going to play safe with my joker however...

I spent most of the morning fiddling with Wendy Richard - took her out, put her back, out again, then back. Have chucked out all my timewasters from this year apart from Bobby who deserves his place in any squad. Have just the one, a trade unionist, I think will be a unique pick.

Among my "nearlies" were Michael Foot (who I hear has gone ga ga) and Peter O'Toole who will probably work until he drops. I had Maurice Herzog (would probably have been a unique pick) up to today when I decided to ban Frenchmen from the team after their poor performance this year although I've already forgotten what it is. Otherwise I might have been tempted by Michel Desjoyeaux, fairly tramming along just now in the southern ocean.

I spent most of the morning fiddling with Wendy Richard - took her out, put her back, out again, then back. Have chucked out all my timewasters from this year apart from Bobby who deserves his place in any squad. Have just the one, a trade unionist, I think will be a unique pick.

Among my "nearlies" were Michael Foot (who I hear has gone ga ga) and Peter O'Toole who will probably work until he drops. I had Maurice Herzog (would probably have been a unique pick) up to today when I decided to ban Frenchmen from the team after their poor performance this year although I've already forgotten what it is. Otherwise I might have been tempted by Michel Desjoyeaux, fairly tramming along just now in the southern ocean.

You dirty, dirty dog. But that's why you wrote it, isn't it!

She ain't gonna die next year. I replaced her with Eric Sykes.

I left Wendy Richard in my DDP.

My apologies to those of you who left Richard in your teams...

I left her out but that's just because I dislike Eastenders and have no interest in her. Yes even after all these years of dismal DDP performances I'm still choosing my team based on those whose obituaries I'd be interested to read.

I left her out but that's just because I dislike Eastenders and have no interest in her. Yes even after all these years of dismal DDP performances I'm still choosing my team based on those whose obituaries I'd be interested to read.

She's a rubbish actress, and she's not going to die - I left her out too. I've got more chance of dying next year than she has.