Canadian Paul

Deathlist 2011

Doing well for a 98 yr old with a heart condition & in a wheelchair, mind.

Doing worryingly well for my liking, he's in one of my DP teams.

CP, Renton has now died & Castro & Kevorkian's profiles need updating, but that's not why i'm posting. Fine job, btw

Michael DeBakey still out & about

But now wheelchair bound. Doing well for a 98 yr old with a heart condition & in a wheelchair, mind.

Sorted.

Once we get to the half way point, I'm going to do something with this list... maybe prune it, maybe organize it somehow... but in one way or another, make it more manageable so that the DL team at least has a reference point for our suggestions... maybe move the ones who are unlikely to get obits or who don't fit the DL criteria to one section and then organize the rest by reason for listing...

Once we get to the half way point, I'm going to do something with this list... maybe prune it

Well, to help you, you can start by perhaps removing Debra Shipley, CP.

According to this article, she has won her fight over breast cancer.

I've done the first of updating this list, pruning the dead branches off. Over the weekend, hopefully I can managed to do the second part, which is adding in the new foliage.

If you happen to find any news that someone on the list is back to good health, or if I've missed someone who is already dead (as I suspect one or two of the lesser known names may be), let me know, this'll be a good time to get it sorted.

While I'm at it, Rose Hacker is going to be placed in the Guiness Book of Records, vastly increasing her obit chances.

I've done the first of updating this list, pruning the dead branches off. Over the weekend, hopefully I can managed to do the second part, which is adding in the new foliage.

If you happen to find any news that someone on the list is back to good health, or if I've missed someone who is already dead (as I suspect one or two of the lesser known names may be)

No, you've not listed anyone now dead, CP. Keep up the good work.

If you happen to find any news that someone on the list is back to good health, or if I've missed someone who is already dead (as I suspect one or two of the lesser known names may be)

Thanks, always helps to have another pair of eyes.

Anyhow, the update is done. As always, anything regarding the addition or removal of people on the main list should be posted here, to remind me to update this more than once every month and a half. :lol:

Thanks, always helps to have another pair of eyes.

Anyhow, the update is done. As always, anything regarding the addition or removal of people on the main list should be posted here, to remind me to update this more than once every month and a half. :lol:

This thread has some very good information. Thanks for keeping it updated.

Just one minor correction though.

For Dr Jack Kevorkian you had the following entry:

Dr. Jack Kevorkian - Dr. Death. His Lawyer says that he is terminally ill with Hepatitis C, and he has been released on health grounds... but keep in mind that Papon and Biggs are still alive... not to mention that he didn't look all that bad upon his release

But Papon has been dead since Feb 17th this year.

Otherwise everything else looks good.

Dr. Jack Kevorkian - Dr. Death. His Lawyer says that he is terminally ill with Hepatitis C, and he has been released on health grounds... but keep in mind that Papon and Biggs are still alive... not to mention that he didn't look all that bad upon his release

Thanks. Shoulda caught that one, seeing as how I scored points on Papon. :banghead:

I was thinking that nearer to the end of the year, I could take all the candidates and divide them into four categories for easy viewing: a) Famous Enough and Sick Enough B) Famous Enough but Risky c) Questionable Fame but Sick Enough and d) Questionable Fame and Risky.

All of course would be subjective and subject to debate. Also, the post would contain only names and, if someone wanted to see the justification, they could go back to the first post. That way, it keeps it clean and organized and perhaps a quick reference for the DL Committee.

If anyone has any better ideas though, let me know. Still plenty of time before I plan on doing this.

Raymond Barre - Former French PM, now suffering from serious heart and kidney problems.

Will stay in hospital until September, according to his wife (French link)

Bob Denard - French mercenary suffering from Alzheimer's and kidney failure. Also convicted last year of "belonging to a gang who conspired to commit a crime."

Jailed for a year. That won't help his health, surely....

Abdul Aziz al-Hakim - Leader of Iraq's largest political party, now suffering from lung cancer, still hospitalized as of mid-July.

Here's an article that mentions that his cancer may be terminal.

Jaafari and Sadr are encouraged by the fact that Abdul-Aziz Al-Hakim, their principal rival within the Shiite camp is in Iran, suffering from possibly terminal cancer. Ammar, Hakim’s son and putative heir as leader of the Supreme Council of the Islamic Revolution in Iraq (SCIRI) is too young to claim a senior position immediately.

Derryn Hinch - Australian radio broadcaster with a brain tumor and advanced cirrhosis. Claims he'll top himself if the mass on his liver turns out to be cancer.

It is cancer, is inoperable, but it appears that he's changed his mind on the suicide bid.

Anyhow, I think I removed all the ones who have died lately. I'll do the adding part soon.

Re: Barre. I heard he's not the nicest of fellows and he's on my current RDP, so that's encouraging news OoO. Although someone who knows more about French politics can correct me.

Thanks. Shoulda caught that one, seeing as how I scored points on Papon. :)

I was thinking that nearer to the end of the year, I could take all the candidates and divide them into four categories for easy viewing: a) Famous Enough and Sick Enough :o Famous Enough but Risky c) Questionable Fame but Sick Enough and d) Questionable Fame and Risky.

All of course would be subjective and subject to debate. Also, the post would contain only names and, if someone wanted to see the justification, they could go back to the first post. That way, it keeps it clean and organized and perhaps a quick reference for the DL Committee.

If anyone has any better ideas though, let me know. Still plenty of time before I plan on doing this.

No - you got off to a tee! That's the way to do it, and most if not all our DL picks should come from the "a)" list.

Updated one more. As I prepare to work with this list, I wonder if anyone has any news or updates on the following people. If not, I might remove them for fame and knowledge reasons.

Olly Byrne - Owner of Shelbourne FC, now suffering from a malignant brain tumour.

Don Cameron - Balloonist recently diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, although prognosis is good

Thinley Lundup Lama - Oscar nominated Yak farmer who is now battling stomach cancer.

Major Berrington Mkoma - British-trained Zambian officer now supposedly on his deathbed in jail

Rosemary Pitman - British almost-royal now suffering from a relapse of cancer.

Whakahuihui Vercoe - Former Archbishop of New Zeland, now very ill. Good luck with a UK obit though.

Norrie Woodhall - Last surviving member of Thomas Hardy’s theatrical group, still theatreing at the age of 101.

If nothing can be found on them within a month or so, I'm going to remove them, along with some others that I subjectively feel are doing better, to make the list more manageable the next time I edit it.

Geoff Halt struggling round the UK coast. It's a long shot - of course - but disabled people pushing the envelope in sport are relying on safety measures that will only get tested when there are serious accidents. Brave man and all. But worth watching.

Updated one more. As I prepare to work with this list, I wonder if anyone has any news or updates on the following people. If not, I might remove them for fame and knowledge reasons.
Olly Byrne - Owner of Shelbourne FC, now suffering from a malignant brain tumour.

Don Cameron - Balloonist recently diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, although prognosis is good

Thinley Lundup Lama - Oscar nominated Yak farmer who is now battling stomach cancer.

Major Berrington Mkoma - British-trained Zambian officer now supposedly on his deathbed in jail

Rosemary Pitman - British almost-royal now suffering from a relapse of cancer.

Whakahuihui Vercoe - Former Archbishop of New Zeland, now very ill. Good luck with a UK obit though.

Norrie Woodhall - Last surviving member of Thomas Hardy’s theatrical group, still theatreing at the age of 101.

If nothing can be found on them within a month or so, I'm going to remove them, along with some others that I subjectively feel are doing better, to make the list more manageable the next time I edit it.

Hi CP.

As it was me who put forward the majority of the names above, I'd say get rid of all of them apart from Rosemary Pitman, she will get loads of write ups in the British press when she dies and she is suffering from cancer for the third time.

As for Cameron, lymphoma is unlikely to kill him in the next couple of years.

Lama the actor could be dead already for all we know, I mentioned him on the off chance that a yak farmer might end up on DL2008. :rip:

I had hoped that Mkoma might get an obit in the Telegraph, but it turns out that Nick Gordon, the man who wrote about Mkoma's plight, died of a heart attack in 2004. He's suffering from HIV and cancer with no access to healthcare, so he won't be hanging around for very long. Sad to say that his death will probably go unnoticed in the press.

I think that Whakahuihui Vercoe will get an obit in The Times or The Telegraph, but I wouldn't bet money on it. Besides all I know about his health is that he is "ill". I'm putting him in next year's DDP anyway.

As for Norrie Woodhall - I have no idea.

Hi CP.

As it was me who put forward the majority of the names above, I'd say get rid of all of them apart from Rosemary Pitman, she will get loads of write ups in the British press when she dies and she is suffering from cancer for the third time.

As for Cameron, lymphoma is unlikely to kill him in the next couple of years.

Lama the actor could be dead already for all we know, I mentioned him on the off chance that a yak farmer might end up on DL2008. :)

I had hoped that Mkoma might get an obit in the Telegraph, but it turns out that Nick Gordon, the man who wrote about Mkoma's plight, died of a heart attack in 2004. He's suffering from HIV and cancer with no access to healthcare, so he won't be hanging around for very long. Sad to say that his death will probably go unnoticed in the press.

I think that Whakahuihui Vercoe will get an obit in The Times or The Telegraph, but I wouldn't bet money on it. Besides all I know about his health is that he is "ill". I'm putting him in next year's DDP anyway.

As for Norrie Woodhall - I have no idea.

Thanks DDT, that helps me clear up some congestion! I've removed Cameron, Lama, Mkoma, Vercoe and, of course, Griffin from the list. If no one comments on them before the next time I have to update the list, I'll remove Byrne and Woodhall too, so speak now ye other Deathlisters or forever hold your peace.

I rather like the way that turned out actually, so I think I'll do that each round from now on - list several names I'm considering removing and hearing if there's any objection. That way, it keeps this thread fresh.

Edit: Rather than post-whore, I'll note here that I've removed Bill Walsh now too, thanks to FF's message. :rip:

Bill Walsh - NFL coaching great, now ill with leukemia. Auerbach got an obit, so I don't see why Walsh wouldn't.

Bill Walsh's name should be removed. He died from leukemia on July 30th

I think for Barbara West's listing, you should mention that she is incapacitated and needs full care.

Whilst browsing the Sundays in the shop, I noticed the Irish Independent had an article on singer Ronnie Drew

"Life changes. You have to come to grips with the changes that take place and try to accommodate them. I did my best."

Ronnie Drew was diagnosed with a number of cancerous growths.

"I had a growth in my throat, one in my neck and some in my lung, and that is the one I'm afraid of."

By the way, why is the forum having problems with Firefox? I really don't want to have to use Insecure Exploder any more than I need.

By the way, why is the forum having problems with Firefox? I really don't want to have to use Insecure Exploder any more than I need.

No problems for me on F/F 2.0.0.6.

Well, I'm not getting the helpful little prompts around the posting box that I need to stop an html buffoon like me making a prize arse of myself. I had to delete three attempts at posting the news about Ronnie Drew due to ugly code appearing everywhere.

Guest Guest
Lord Bill Deedes - Politician & journalist. Suffered a major stroke a few years back, but nowadays is still as active as he ever was, turned 94 this year.

Lord Bill Deedes' Name should be removed now because he is dead.

Guest Guest
Lord Bill Deedes - Politician & journalist. Suffered a major stroke a few years back, but nowadays is still as active as he ever was, turned 94 this year.

Lord Bill Deedes' Name should be removed now because he is dead.

Brooke Astor's name should be removed as well.

I think for Barbara West's listing, you should mention that she is incapacitated and needs full care.

The only source for that is Wikipedia and since it is in turn unsourced, I don't particularly trust it.

Anyhow, due to popular demand, the list has been updated with both old removls (Astor, Byrne, Woodhall, Deedes, Rizzuto) and new addtions.

I'm thinking of removing the following people next. Speak now or forever hold your peace:

Kevyn Burger - American talk-show radio host now suffering from breast cancer. UK obit unlikely.

Tom Hamilton - bassist in Aerosmith, who has throat cancer and has yet to recover (now cancer-free)

Victor S. Johnson Jr. - American lawyer and president of Aladdin industries. Turns 101 this year, but UK obit is unlikely.

Anthony Loyd - Heroin loving British war correspondent. At only 40, might make for a good outside bet.

Hassan Nasrallah - head of Hezbollah. Need I say more? (probably not as much in danger any more)

Anita Roddick - Body Shop founder with cirrhosis of the liver caused by Hep C. Still seems to be doing fine though.

The only source for that is Wikipedia and since it is in turn unsourced, I don't particularly trust it.

What about this? This info came before West's Wiki article was modifed to say she was incapacitated.