Canadian Paul

Deathlist 2011

Ali should be a lock if he hangs in there until 2008.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9831638/

Uh, that article is from 2005. But still, I don't think his condition would change much since then.

Holy crap....that means that he must have died sometime in 2006 and is now walking the earth as the undead. Someone get a stake and some holy water.

Might be another explanation, mebbe he was trying to explain that he wasn't feeling so bad, but it took him two years to get the sentence out!

Updated to today, despite my browser crashing right near the end. Any final suggestions for addition or removal before I compile the proposal in proper form would be muchly appreciated.

Updated to today, despite my browser crashing right near the end. Any final suggestions for addition or removal before I compile the proposal in proper form would be muchly appreciated.

What about Tony Hart? He supposedly can no longer paint.

What about Tony Hart? He supposedly can no longer paint.

There were serious critics thirty years ago saying the same thing.

Gillian Gibbonz, a recently arrived elephant in the DL room, potential ranter-fire magnet and - just possibly - one who'll wind us all up by coming and going (into that wild blue yonder) faster than we can get a bet on. My my, a few of those Sudanese are angry, very angry indeed.

I hear they've sent the teddy bear in question to live with Cuddle Cat!

I'm going to start getting vocal on some of my 'ideas' especially the ones I will not be using.

First we have Shelly Morrison an actress who has been in several films and sitcoms. Her lung cancer went into remission a few years ago but her breast cancer has returned.

Former NFL running back Ron Springs has has been hospitalized in a coma which doctors say 'he will never come out of'

Dick Gregory an influential African American comic who has been entertaining audiences since the mid 1950's really keeps his leukemia on the down - low. It's said to be in remission but hey - you never know.

Law Kar Ying a Hong Kong comedian has terminal cancer. His fame around here might be the only issue.

ABC news anchor Robin Roberts has breast cancer. Healthy now but still faces future treatment...

And that's it for now.

Ms. Gibbons is now happily back from her incarceration.

Good job I know about the attitude in the Sudan now. I'm off there next week and I think I'll leave my teddy bear 'Ignorant, Medieval, Hypocritical, Murderous, Islamic Nutcase' at home now.

Gillian Gibbonz, a recently arrived elephant in the DL room, potential ranter-fire magnet and - just possibly - one who'll wind us all up by coming and going (into that wild blue yonder) faster than we can get a bet on. My my, a few of those Sudanese are angry, very angry indeed.

Good job I know about the attitude in the Sudan now. I'm off there next week and I think I'll leave my teddy bear 'Ignorant, Medieval, Hypocritical, Murderous, Islamic Nutcase' at home now.

'Happily' back? I mean, she's still a long shot as far as deadpools are concerned but there are some hard-line cases loose in the UK, and they know - just about - where she lives.

If she plays her cards right she'll scoop up a few hundred thousand selling her "exclusive" story (hopefully with a makeover thrown in if there are going to be pics) to a tab, glossy mag and Sky News, and she can look forward to a part-time career as an expert on Halibut relations, plus probably a way better job than she had before. And didn't she stay most of her eight days at some villa b/c they thought a Sudanese women's prison might not be too much fun?

All in all, not a bad result, although were I a relative I'd spare her the highlights of the crazy guy with the machete in the crowd at the weekend. His judgement looked a little questionable.

Odds she gets some sort of honour from the Queen?

The following people and their illnesses/frailties are listed in full detail in the first post of this thread. To allow for ease of review by the DL committee, I have divided them into four categories and left only their names. More information can be found in the first post. Anyone's free to yell and scream at me to move people around, as it's all very subjective. Harkens back to the HDP forum discussion on "improbable death" really.

Famous Enough and Sick Enough

Muhammad Ali

Baba Amte

Ronnie Biggs

Archbishop Christodoulos

Arthur C. Clarke

Basil D'Oliveira

Bo Diddley

Janez Drnovsek

W. Mark Felt

Michael Foot (maybe not sick enough, but who can risk missing out on the obvious tagline here???)

Betty Ford

Estelle Getty

Billy Graham

Phillip Jones Griffiths

Jesse Helms

Charlton Heston

Edmund Hillary

Eunice Kennedy

George T.D. Moore

Patriarch Pavle

Sydney Pollack

Francis Leslie Pym, Baron Pym

Nancy Reagan

Bobby Robson

Yves St. Laurent

Yitzhak Shamir

Ariel Sharon

Sargent Shriver

Tony Snow (assuming, of course, he's being more optimistic than realistic)

Mike Soper

Levi Stubbs

Margaret Thatcher (maybe not as sick as most, but certainly wouldn't be a good one to miss)

Eddie Thompson

Tsien Hsue-shen

Richard Widmark

Nicholas Winton

Famous Enough but Risky

Steven Adler

Patty Andrews

Shoko Asahara

HRH Jean Benoit Guillaume Robert Antoine Louis Marie Adolphe Marc d'Aviano

Bob Barker

Captain Beefheart

Jean-Paul Belmondo

Harold John Blackham

Ray Bradbury

Ian Brady

Ivor Broadis

Earl Butz

Elliott Carter

Fidel Castro

Phil Chevron

Frederick Chiluba

Jacques Chirac

Robbie Coltrane

Lansana Conte

Leon Febres Cordero

Liz Dawn

Elizabeth Gladys Milvinia Dean

Michael DeBakey

Jean Delannoy

John Demjanjuk

Phyllis Diller

Fats Domino

Kirk Douglas

Roy Douglas

The Duke of Wellington

Patricia Dunn

Roger Ebert

Blake Edwards

Eddie Fisher

Andy Fordham

Annette Funicello

Zsa Zsa Gabor

Terri Garr

Paul Gascoigne

Vo Nguyen Giap

Vitaly Ginzburg

Larry Hagman

Abu Hamza al-Muhajir

João Havelange

Stephen Hawking

Johannes Heesters

John Hewer

Alex Higgins

Phil Hill

Gordon B Hinckley

Albert Hofmann

Lena Horne

Ian Huntley

Ronald Isley

Sir Ludovic Kennedy

Jack Kevorkian

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei

Abdul Qadeer Khan

Edgar Ray Killen

B.B. King

Jack Klugman

Girija Prasad Koirala

Willis Lamb

Bruce Langhorne

Claude Levi-Strauss

Jerry Lewis

Greg Louganis

Bernard Lovell

Anthony Mamo

Brooks Mileson

Mitch Miller

Dom Mintoff

Bobby Moncour

Rita Levi Montalcini

Patrick Moore

John Mortimer

Robert Mugabe

Pervez Musharraf

Oscar Niemeyer

Teodoro Obiang Nguema

Anita Page

Isabel Peron

Chapman Pincher

Harold Pinter

Rosemary Pitman

Terry Pratchett

Erich Priebke

Dennis Priestley

Tul Bahadur Pun

Luise Rainer

Oral Roberts

Arthur Robinson

Dora Jessie Saint

Than Shwe

King Norodom Sihanouk

VP Singh

Sir Cyril Smith

Alexander Solzhenitsyn

George Steinbrenner

Gloria Stuart

Zeljko Sturanovic

Suharto

Charles Taylor

Elizabeth Taylor

Jeremy Thorpe

Edward Upward

Jorn Utzon

Abigail Van Buren

Roy Ward Baker

Gough Whitlam

Maurice Vincent Wilkes

Eric Charles Twelves Wilson

Willard Wirtz

Questionable Fame but Sick Enough

Rabbi Philip Berg

Nusrat Bhutto

Leila Denmark

Mikey Dread

Melvin Dummar

Elizabeth Edwards

Doug Fieger

Karl Frenzel

Charles E. Friedgood

Syed Ali Shah Geelani

Daniel Geiges

Jeff Healey

Derryn Hinch

Larry James

Gary Kelly

Sam Manekshaw

Ndaye Mulamba

Vice Marshal Jo Myong-rok

Fehmi Naji

Abdullah Öcalan

Randy Pausch

John Phelps

Nigel Plews

Jack Ramsay

Ron Santo

Lydia Shum

Chuck Strahl

Zdravko Tolimir

Princess Galyani Vadhana

Russell Watson

Don Wittman

Questionable Fame and Risky.

Grant Achatz

Francisco Ayala

Frances Bay

Sam Bith

Nuon Chea

Henry Cecil

Jack Chick

Ronald Coase

James Joseph Dresnok

Kermit Driscoll

Saad al-Sabah

Danny Federici

Leon Greenman

Rose Hacker

Dolores Hope

Joseph Juran

John Keel

Barbara Kent

Simon Mann

Kerryn McCann

Shih Ming-te

Berniece Baker Miracle

Roy Neuberger

Hiroo Onoda

Barry Penner

Sonia Peres

Ieng Sary

Joe Simon

J.R. Simplot

Phyllis A. Whitney

Earl Wild

Rabbi Ovadia Yosef

f**k you Paul.

I really didn't ask for your opinion. From now on know your role, and shut your mouth.

The reason problems exist in this world is because of assholes like you.

Now have a Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Years.

Smart work CP - a well-organised and presented list that will come in very handy at the Committee meeting. Plus it drew an insult from a lunatic, further enhancing its validity.

Excellent work, CP, especially on drawing an insult that has nothing to do with what you posted! :lol:

But.... Phil Hill... questionable fame?! :(

He'll get tons of UK obits!

However, he won't die next year so I agree on the risky part.

I would argue Amte & Christodolous may struggle to get obits, whereas Russell Watson & Phillip Jones Griffiths are more or less guaranteed obituaries.

I would argue that putting Thatcher in is a wasted vote & I would also say DO NOT PICK Eli Wallach or

Olivia de Havilland & certainly not Jack Kevorkian.

If I had to pluck 50 names from CP's list (Which also match the DL ethos of not necessarily going for soft picks), I would go for:

Muhammad Ali

Arthur C. Clarke

Basil D'Oliveira

Janez Drnovsek (Deserves a DL nomination for being a lunatic)

Betty Ford (Definitely)

Estelle Getty

Billy Graham

Jesse Helms

Charlton Heston (Definitely)

Edmund Hillary (Definitely)

Eunice Kennedy Shriver (Definitely)

George T.D. Moore

Sydney Pollack (Worth the risk)

Francis Leslie Pym, Baron Pym

Bobby Robson (Definitely)

Yves St. Laurent

Yitzhak Shamir (Definitely)

Ariel Sharon

Sargent Shriver

Tony Snow

Richard Widmark

Fidel Castro

Blake Edwards

Zsa Zsa Gabor (Definitely)

Alex Higgins

Albert Hofmann

Ian Huntley

Sir Ludovic Kennedy (Could be a surprise hit, as it were)

Girija Prasad Koirala

Claude Levi-Strauss (IE would never forgive us if we didn't...)

John Mortimer

Pervez Musharraf (Especially for sudden death value)

Oscar Niemeyer

Chapman Pincher

Harold Pinter

Terry Pratchett

Erich Priebke (Needs a Nazi on the list)

Than Shwe (An interesting candidate, me thinks - a much more high-brow pick)

King Norodom Sihanouk

Sir Cyril Smith

Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Gloria Stuart

Zeljko Sturanovic

Suharto

Gough Whitlam

Elizabeth Edwards

Phillip Jones Griffiths

Russell Watson

Nuon Chea

Saad al-Sabah

But would genuially not rule out either Amy Winehouse or Pete Doherty completely.

I would argue Amte & Christodolous may struggle to get obits

OoO, Christodolous will not struggle to get UK obits. He'll get BBC, The Times and The Telegraph for starters. I'm not promising to eat any farm machinery if he doesn't, but I'm certain his passing with occur with some fanfare. Anyway, we'll soon find out.

Rather worryingly for me, my already submitted DDP team seems to consist entirely of candidates from the "risky fame" criteria :lol: , but I do think CP is also a bit conservative when it comes to obit chances.

I know this has been discussed before, but I do hope that the DL 2008 list includes more people at risk of death by unnatural causes, rather than just incredibly old people.

May I humbly suggest:

Simon Mann - death by Guinean prison cell does have a bit more interest than death by lung cancer or old age.

Alain Robert - If he was to fall off a building during 2008, it would be a triumphant day for the DL

Hamid Karzai - Was on the list in 2006, he will eventually meet his appointment with the suicide bomber

Abu Ayyub al-Masri - Iraqi al-Qaeda leader. He was on my DDP team this year and in my opinion has been lucky to get this far unscathed. His death was reported in error earlier in the year.

Joseph Kony - Leader of the reviled Lord's Resistance Army. Currently holed up in Congo, who, in partnership with Uganda, are possibly going to start an military offensive against him next year. There is an ongoing leadership struggle and the organisation is split, disagreements tend to be settled with a gun. Kony executed his deputy last month. And he's believed to be suffering from AIDS as well.

Amy Winehouse - Really doesn't seem to be able to handle her drugs very well at all. Bit of a lightweight if you ask me.

Also, if the DL head office could see their way clear to picking a religious leader, I would be thrilled. :(

That'll be all. Sorry for the long post. I'm upstairs, with a large drink, hiding from my in-laws. :(

Great list OoO but regarding:

Pervez Musharraf (Especially for sudden death value)

I'd wager that Benazir Bhutto is equally at risk and we're always down on numbers re females.

Ah, this thread drew more attention than I expected, so I'll explain further. First, the basics. This list is, of course, completely subjective to begin with, and I don't deny that; but it is nice I think to have the names in one place and roughly in what category they belong in. Some of them were really hard choices, and these are ending up being the ones argued about, which is great - knowledge is power "or summat." Secondly, fame. I didn't use my personal or DDP fame standards, I tried (but probably failed) to hold the DL to a slightly higher standard. So Phil Hill, as OoO pointed out, I think will be fine for a DDP team, but I'm not sure he's DL material. I personally find him famous, but I'm not 100% certain - and again, he's interesting enough to be worth arguing about.

More specific cases, responded to in order.

Baba Amte I think will almost certainly get an obit, despite his illness not having attracted much press. While the news media might not find a large readership to report every detail about his health, I do feel that it'll be the type of story that they're looking for when he dies. I also note that Abbe Pierre got an obit when he died, and he's roughly Amte's French equivalent.

Christodolous I agree with DDT on this one. Any head of a major religion or state is going to get an obit, and probably a BBC one. BUT, in all fairness to OoO, I do note that Chrysostomos I has yet to get any UK obit, which does worry me a bit. I mean, granted, he was retired at the time of his death, but still.

Russell Watson & Phillip Jones Griffiths Had to judge these two from their Wikipedia entries, since I didn't know them that well, and that was why it was hard to tell. Griffiths is on my WDP, not certain if he'll make it to my DDP 08 though, mainly on obit concerns, so feel free to convince me otherwise. :(

Thatcher Certainly not on any of my lists anytime soon, but I was thinking along the lines of MPFC's concern about lack of females when I put her where I did.

Phillip Jones Griffiths Had to judge these two from their Wikipedia entries, since I didn't know them that well, and that was why it was hard to tell. Griffiths is on my WDP, not certain if he'll make it to my DDP 08 though, mainly on obit concerns, so feel free to convince me otherwise. :(

Well, not only is he Welsh, so he'll get a BBC regional item at worst, but interviews in the Guardian, the BBC, another BBC feature, should do, plus he's also been featured in the Times & Independent this year.

If he doesn't get a UK obit, then I'll eat DDT's tractor, PJG's camera AND some Agent Orange. He's on my DDP team & I am 100% satisified he WILL get a UK obit.

I only chose not to put Christodulous in because of the obit concerns I have, but if he does get it, then so be it - I won't lose any sleep either way.

Re. Phil Hill - the BBC will have - 100% guaranteed an obituary for him as will every press paper. His death will be covered by wall-to-wall obits. I know this, not only because of his fame in his chosen sport, but quite simply, the obits have already been written & were near publishing toward's the end of 2006 when he took a turn for the worst...

Yeah, but will Phil Hill die in 2008? At present I've got him 19th on my provisional DDP team and not on my HPDP line up.

Phillip Jones Griffiths Had to judge these two from their Wikipedia entries, since I didn't know them that well, and that was why it was hard to tell. Griffiths is on my WDP, not certain if he'll make it to my DDP 08 though, mainly on obit concerns, so feel free to convince me otherwise. :(

Well, not only is he Welsh, so he'll get a BBC regional item at worst, but interviews in the Guardian, the BBC, another BBC feature, should do, plus he's also been featured in the Times & Independent this year.

If he doesn't get a UK obit, then I'll eat DDT's tractor, PJG's camera AND some Agent Orange. He's on my DDP team & I am 100% satisified he WILL get a UK obit.

I only chose not to put Christodulous in because of the obit concerns I have, but if he does get it, then so be it - I won't lose any sleep either way.

Re. Phil Hill - the BBC will have - 100% guaranteed an obituary for him as will every press paper. His death will be covered by wall-to-wall obits. I know this, not only because of his fame in his chosen sport, but quite simply, the obits have already been written & were near publishing toward's the end of 2006 when he took a turn for the worst...

Hmm... I might have to give ol' Ariel Sharon the boot on the news of Griffiths. Sharon will be on my HDP anyhow, so it's not like he'd be a total miss if I left him off. I've updated my assessment's of Hill's and Griffith's fame in the post in any case.

Yeah, but will Phil Hill die in 2008? At present I've got him 19th on my provisional DDP team and not on my HPDP line up.

I honestly don't think so.

He's frail, he has Parkinson's & is now 80 but.... he's still trying to be as active as possible. He won't make 90, and may not make 85, but will he be here in January 09?... more probable than not.

You can never say never, but I would be expecting the likes of Tony Rolt, Les Leston & Paul Pietsch to go first if you want a racing driver on the list... oh yeah, them & my secret candidate for DDP 2008... :(:(

I took Ariel Sharon off as he could be kept alive for aeons. If anything it seemed like a cheap score. But, CP, I don't want you blaming me if Sharon snuffs it on the 13th of the month & Jones Griffiths recovers & wins the NY Marathon. :lol: I dunno if PJG will die in 2008, but he'll get an obit in the UK if he does.

I took Ariel Sharon off as he could be kept alive for aeons. If anything it seemed like a cheap score. But, CP, I don't want you blaming me if Sharon snuffs it on the 13th of the month & Jones Griffiths recovers & wins the NY Marathon. :( I dunno if PJG will die in 2008, but he'll get an obit in the UK if he does.

Haven't made any final decisions yet; Griffiths is on my WDP, so it's not like I'll miss out on him either if he dies. I think overall, there's a few too many good candidates to waste a spot on Sharon, unless of course you have 50 spots *cough cough*. HDP is another matter entirely - Sharon is one of the better remaining candidates among people I've seen die in dreams.

Excellent work, CP, especially on drawing an insult that has nothing to do with what you posted! :lol:

If I had to pluck 50 names from CP's list (Which also match the DL ethos of not necessarily going for soft picks), I would go for:

Muhammad Ali

Charlton Heston (Definitely)

OOO- I am putting the finishing touches on my list. I had Heston and Ali last year and was thinking of dropping them since I haven't seen anything about there health deteriorating since last year. I also am thinking of dropping Sharon. Talk some sense into me. :unsure:

Love the Alain Robert pick, although too gutsy for me. I'll take Winehouse and Doherty instead.

OOO- I am putting the finishing touches on my list. I had Heston and Ali last year and was thinking of dropping them since I haven't seen anything about there health deteriorating since last year. I also am thinking of dropping Sharon. Talk some sense into me. :unsure:

Well, Heston ain't getting any better. Ali I think will carry on for a while, as might, in theory, Sharon as he is already dead bar one plug.

I'm keeping Heston on simply as he is still a very unwell & increasingly old & frail chap - indeed, not one report this year has said he's "doing well" or is "lucid" etc that you get with Getty or Felt.