Canadian Paul

Deathlist 2011

Great list OoO but regarding:

Pervez Musharraf (Especially for sudden death value)

I'd wager that Benazir Bhutto is equally at risk and we're always down on numbers re females.

Just got back from your flight from Rawalpindi, MP?

Great list OoO but regarding:

Pervez Musharraf (Especially for sudden death value)

I'd wager that Benazir Bhutto is equally at risk and we're always down on numbers re females.

Just got back from your flight from Rawalpindi, MP?

Aye, tell me about it. Y'know that morning after tinnitus you get from a rock gig.....trust me, it's got nowt on suicide bombings!

Excellent work, CP, especially on drawing an insult that has nothing to do with what you posted! :lol:

If I had to pluck 50 names from CP's list (Which also match the DL ethos of not necessarily going for soft picks), I would go for:

Muhammad Ali

Charlton Heston (Definitely)

OOO- I am putting the finishing touches on my list. I had Heston and Ali last year and was thinking of dropping them since I haven't seen anything about there health deteriorating since last year. I also am thinking of dropping Sharon. Talk some sense into me. :unsure:

I know OoO has responded already, but I'll drop in my thoughts as well... maybe more so to get them written out for myself than anything. Heston will be on my DDP and RDP until he's gone, which I don't feel will be much longer of a wait. His disease progressed so rapidly that I doubt we'll get the decade wait that we had for Reagan. Heston wanted the public to be updated on his condition constantly, so the fact that it's gone silent against his wishes makes me think the fight in him, which back in 04 I would have presumed would have given him a decade ala Reagan, is gone already. He's not a deffo like a certain Archbishop I've heard of, but I can guess that he'll be a popular DDP 08 pick and is worth taking a spot on a list of 20, or even 10.

Ali and Sharon are a bit different in my eyes. I'll say now that they're both going on my HDP 08, but the caveat to that is that I can only pick people I've seen die in dreams, which drastically reduces my choices. Having said that, they are both obviously very ill and, as OoO mentioned for Heston, not getting any better. Sharon could but, let's face it, he won't. Ali won't get better, but he might fight it off for a while yet, maybe even another half decade or so. But both of them could be dead tomorrow as well. So you've got to go with your heart on this one. If you've got 20 better candidates, don't feel bad for leaving them off. But if you put them on and they don't die, well no one is going to chastise you for your choice.

Excellent work, CP, especially on drawing an insult that has nothing to do with what you posted! <_<

If I had to pluck 50 names from CP's list (Which also match the DL ethos of not necessarily going for soft picks), I would go for:

Muhammad Ali

Charlton Heston (Definitely)

OOO- I am putting the finishing touches on my list. I had Heston and Ali last year and was thinking of dropping them since I haven't seen anything about there health deteriorating since last year. I also am thinking of dropping Sharon. Talk some sense into me. :sicktherm:

I know OoO has responded already, but I'll drop in my thoughts as well... maybe more so to get them written out for myself than anything. Heston will be on my DDP and RDP until he's gone, which I don't feel will be much longer of a wait. His disease progressed so rapidly that I doubt we'll get the decade wait that we had for Reagan. Heston wanted the public to be updated on his condition constantly, so the fact that it's gone silent against his wishes makes me think the fight in him, which back in 04 I would have presumed would have given him a decade ala Reagan, is gone already. He's not a deffo like a certain Archbishop I've heard of, but I can guess that he'll be a popular DDP 08 pick and is worth taking a spot on a list of 20, or even 10.

Ali and Sharon are a bit different in my eyes. I'll say now that they're both going on my HDP 08, but the caveat to that is that I can only pick people I've seen die in dreams, which drastically reduces my choices. Having said that, they are both obviously very ill and, as OoO mentioned for Heston, not getting any better. Sharon could but, let's face it, he won't. Ali won't get better, but he might fight it off for a while yet, maybe even another half decade or so. But both of them could be dead tomorrow as well. So you've got to go with your heart on this one. If you've got 20 better candidates, don't feel bad for leaving them off. But if you put them on and they don't die, well no one is going to chastise you for your choice.

Thanks for the advice. I put in an entry in the DDP just for fun, although I'm not too sure of what will warrent a UK obit. I took an cross-section of my larger (68 person) list.

Overheard conversation relating to the health of Ivor Broadis this weekend. Supposedly some of the frailty is down to 'the football' catching up with the oldsters knees and hips; 'otherwise sharp as a pin' being one comment overheard. Given the plethora of possible picks available he's deffo crossed off my final long lists.

Plenty more to go at, eh?

For DDP you really need to go out of the ball park to make the right selections. I read Nusrat Buhtto did in fact attend her daughters funeral and for me 'her being generally on the younger side' was not included on my list for those reasons. It 'might be a big mistake' but the more active I see a individual is the less likely of a chance I could see in including them.

Jack Ramsay was recently in some sort of NBA voting, not that it takes the cancer out of his body but it shows he is still active and being not completely convinced that he was going to consume the so called required 'BBC Obituary' I also left him off.

Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Levi Stubbs, both prostate cancer gambles are also very risky. Atal celebrated his eighty third birthday the other day and by a recent photo he definitely didn't give me the impression he was going to fulfill the purpose if you get what I'm saying.

Samar Mubarakmand who is a Pakistani nuclear scientist has intestinal cancer and since Canadian Paul failed to list him I thought he could possibly be a unique pick but after fast forwarding to the aftermath of everything I realized that chances are the odds of him getting the qualified obituary were slimmer then Mary Kate Olson was about two years ago.

Tony Snow is planning a sh*t load of speeches next year and even as he might be worth listing I decided against that possibility. Shi Ming teh is another who I did not list, since the source supporting his lung cancer wasn't valid enough for me - especially since his Wikipedia is anti - information on his health. Fehmi Naji and Derryn Hinch and Ronnie Drew are all very active and at this point their conditions seem stable so they didn't qualify either. I did list Philip Jones Griffiths but to be dead honest I've only read '1 ARTICLE' supporting the facts that he has lung cancer. I'm forcing myself to believe that he just really keeps it on the down low. All I can say is he better not be f****n running in any New York Marathon!!!

I'm inclined to think both Abdullah Oscalan and Zdravko Tolimir are both very overrated - but Tolimir still might be on the decline but making rapid transitions towards the end I also excluded him from my list. I don't believe Princess Galyani Vadhana 'Who doesn't have very long' or Don Wittman will receive the essential obituary.

This is my complete analysis on the Ideas and Possibilities for 2008. These are the names I mainly did not include for various reasons. I'm confident that I'm right and now I say let the raffles of the dead roll.....

I have started updating this list for 2008, mostly by removing the people that have died in January. My next plan is to update and check the names that are currently on there, including updating their age/prospective age for 2008. After that, I'll add in all the recent suggestions. If some kindly mod could update the title of this thread, it would be appreciated.

Why do you want the title changed? It's sssssooooooo last year. There already is a Ideas & possibilities 2008 thread. The old threads are usally closed anyway. Or is there something I'm not understanding? :rolleyes:

CP does a master list of people that have been mentioned and why. He used this thread last year...I guess he wanted it renamed to something more appropriate....call it CP's master tracking list

CP does a master list of people that have been mentioned and why. He used this thread last year...I guess he wanted it renamed to something more appropriate....call it CP's master tracking list

It saves having to create a new one each year. I'm glad that one of my suggestions actually came up trumps :rolleyes:

Thanks to the mod who changed it to 2008. Miser more or less answered HCW's question I hope... it saves people from having to trawl through the Ideas and Possibilities thread to review names, plus it's a place to discuss said names if they don't have their own thread.

Thanks to the mod who changed it to 2008. Miser more or less answered HCW's question I hope... it saves people from having to trawl through the Ideas and Possibilities thread to review names, plus it's a place to discuss said names if they don't have their own thread.

I know you list her in the intro paragraph as having recovered but I think that you may want to reconsider adding Fawsett back into the mix. The lasted news doesn't sound all that good. :sicktherm:

Doing a couple of health checks to see if anyone should be taken off the list, I discovered this two hour interview with Philip Jones Griffiths. The sound drove me insane after the first six minutes, and I highly doubt that he's going to discuss his health in detail, but it's interesting because A)It is a good indication of his health status (can barely finish a sentence without running out of breath, but obviously doing alright if still able to talk for two hours in public!) B ) If you're interested in this sort of thing, it's highly fascinating and a rare opportunity to hear the man talk about his own work/experiences (at least I assume, haven't watched more than 7 minutes).

Also, an update from Jeff Healey, who seems to be doing a lot better. Then again, it is Jeff Healey, so make of it what you will.

Also, an update from Jeff Healey, who seems to be doing a lot better. Then again, it is Jeff Healey, so make of it what you will.

I'm always a little skepticle of "alternative" treatments.

I know you list her in the intro paragraph as having recovered but I think that you may want to reconsider adding Fawsett back into the mix. The lasted news doesn't sound all that good. :skull:

Agreed and done. Meanwhile, I removed Grant Achatz, who is now apparently cancer-free and still has his tongue. I also removed Henry Cecil, as his website seems to indicate that he's doing better (or, in other words, he'll be dead tomorrow). And while I haven't removed him from the list, it should be noted that Dr. Charles E. Friedgood, whose sordid history is around here somewhere, was released from prison in December.

On the other side of the news, 101-year-old columnist Rose Hacker is ill in hospital.

I will add the newer suggestions later today, hopefully.

Mikey Dread update

"Everyday that I rise I give thanks and praises in my humble way to Jah. I thank Jah for Life, thank Jah for love, thank Jah for everything and is very thankful to Jah for all the support and love received...I want to remind my friends - life is a stage. A stage that we all share each and everyday with people everywhere, people come and go, brand new babies born, Life keeps going on and on. Keep the positive upliftments!" :skull:

Mikey Dread update

"Everyday that I rise I give thanks and praises in my humble way to Jah. I thank Jah for Life, thank Jah for love, thank Jah for everything and is very thankful to Jah for all the support and love received...I want to remind my friends - life is a stage. A stage that we all share each and everyday with people everywhere, people come and go, brand new babies born, Life keeps going on and on. Keep the positive upliftments!" :skull:

Hmmmm.....

Mikey Dread update

Hmmmm.....

I agree that he doesn't sound all that confident in his recovery.

Mikey Dread update

Thanks for the update; I'd looked, but couldn't find one. Nothing really that concrete sadly, but he certainly doesn't sound well.

Anyhow, the list has been updated with new suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

Than Shwe update:

He's rapidly going senile, and now has increasing heart problems," according to another government source. He already suffers from chronic diabetes and has regular bouts of hypertension. Several years ago he also suffered a mild stroke. Now with heart coronary problems and dementia, he is becoming increasingly incapacitated.

Philip Chevron touring again with The Pogues

Philip Chevron touring again with The Pogues

Hmm, I see an interesting head to head race - Phil vs Shane

Sir John Mortimer - Writer an ex-barrister who claims he's "not going to last very long".

Sir John Mortimer, now wheelchair bound, has given an interview to The Times about his health and his refusal to give up champagne and cigars.

Sir John Mortimer - Writer an ex-barrister who claims he's "not going to last very long".

Sir John Mortimer, now wheelchair bound, has given an interview to The Times about his health and his refusal to give up champagne and cigars.

Looks as if he's going out in style!