Anubis the Jackal

Country For Old Men (And Women)

Allow me to post my ‘hit’ in the 2018 Cup.

Red dirt music figure Brandon Jenkins of Tulsa has died. The news was posted to his official Facebook page Friday evening. He was 48.

Jenkins was admitted to a Nashville hospital on Feb. 21 for a heart procedure, but there were complications, and he remained hospitalized.

(For the record the ‘red dirt’ style of country is a throwback to what real country should sound like.  The country genre I can’t stand, but this sub genre I enjoy immensely, and sadly I never saw Jenkins perform.  RIP)  

The video below is a song Jenkins wrote and posted Feb 18.  It would be his last.  He went in hospital a couple days later.  He also just released his new album (his 18th!).  Like I did with Joey Feek, I’ll probably buy it out of respect and posterity.

SC

Hazel Smith, a beloved Music Row fixture for half a century, died Sunday night after a period of declining health and battle with dementia. She was 83 years old and a longtime resident of Madison.  She is credited with coining the term 'outlaw music'.

In the early 1970s, while working as a publicist at the Glaser Brothers' "Hillbilly Central" office/studio on 19th Avenue S., she began using the term "outlaw music" to describe the songs of country renegades like Tompall Glaser, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson.  "Now, it doesn’t say this in mine or any other dictionary I’ve seen, but it said that outlaw meant virtually living on the outside of the written law," Smith told The Nashville Scene in 1997. "It just made sense to me, because Owen Bradley and Chet Atkins were doing marvelous music, but this was another step in another direction."

SC

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

No further appearances for Kenny Rogers due to "health challenges"....http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/37878495/kenny-rogers-cancels-tour-due-to-health-challenges

He gonna take time off to find out what condition his condition is in.
Kenny Rogers is certainly deserving of his own thread at this point, should someone have interest.
SC

• Like 2

With him, Loretta Lynn, and Willie Nelson having some reports of being very ill, are we having a country legend clear out very soon? 

EDIT: Surely one of them will make the list if any of them make 2019...

• Like 1

Been reading good reviews for 85 year old Willie Nelson's new album. Thought I'd - like - share this positive discovery with the group.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

That obit would count for the DDP as it's filed under 'Europe', but a BBC obit for an equivalent Northern Irish personality wouldn't.

That makes no sense to me.

• Like 2

Irish country music.
I'm gonna have to think on that for a while.

On 4/15/2018 at 11:11, maryportfuncity said:

Been reading good reviews for 85  84 year old Willie Nelson's new album. Thought I'd - like - share this positive discovery with the group.

He will (should I say may) reach that lofty milestone in 4 days; i.e. April 29.

Larry Collins has cancelled his appearance at this year's Nashville Boogie festival. Reasons unknown as this moment in time.

On 9/26/2017 at 01:26, ObakeFilter said:

Rodney Crowell cancels tour due to "unspecified health issues", and states "dealing with the root cause of my health issues requires complete rest". He was also taken to emergancy room late October 2016 after experiencing what had been described as "cardiac symptoms" prior to his scheduled performance.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/national-news/ap-top-news/rodney-crowell-cancels-tour-due-to-unspecified-health-issues/612044294

He’s back touring again.  Apparently he had to step away to battle dysautonomia, a disease which attacks the central nervous system, said he's worked hard to regain his health.

SC

Royce Porter has passed away at the age of 79. Just last Thursday he was performing at the Nashville Boogie with the Planet Rockers. 

On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 13:10, Phantom said:

Larry Collins has cancelled his appearance at this year's Nashville Boogie festival. Reasons unknown as this moment in time.

Larry's older sister, Lorrie, and the other half of The Collins Kids has died at the age of 76

• Like 1

11 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Going to put this here.

Bill "Blue" Miller has reportedly died of a brain aneurysm. https://www.soultracks.com/story-blue-miller-dies

Detroit session guitarist, who was part of Bob Seger's Silver Bullet Band, he then went all Nashville with the Gibson/Miller Band.

Longtime Nashville music executive Roy Wunsch, who helped further the careers of a number of acclaimed country music stars, has died after a decade-long battle with Alzheimer's disease.  Wunsch, 75, led a 30-year career in the music industry, working with and promoting the careers of country artists like Tammy Wynette, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, Earl Scruggs and others.

"Wunsch" is also onomatopoeia for the sound his casket will make when dropped into a damp 6-foot  hole. 

SC

13 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Country musician Freddie Hart has reportedly died at 91. Awaiting confirmation.

We are awaiting four confirmations:

*Sonny Fortune

*Elder Roma Wilson

*Freddie Hart

*Todd Youth