Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

1 hour ago, TQR said:

This Is Going To Hurt, BBC drama set in a hospital, based on Dr Adam Kay’s experience working in an NHS hospital, in gynaecology and obstetrics (brats and twats, as he puts it).

I absolutely loved it. A glorious balance of drama, comedy and heartbreak. Not a bad soundtrack either.

I read the book, haven't watched the show; if I remember correctly, Kay's sexuality is never stated in the book, there's just references to a partner. If I remember I'll have a catch-up on that.

I have, rather belatedly, this week caught up with season 2 of Feel Good; having watched season one (which I stumbled upon purely by accident) I'd eagerly anticipated season 2. What I hadn't realised is that Channel 4 had dropped it and it would only be on Netflix; I found out just after I cancelled Netflix!

Suffice to say, easily one of the best things I've watched this year, and I have confidence that it will still be in my top 5 in 10 months time.

• Like 1

Just finished watching Reacher on Amazon Prime.  I’m a fan of the books and I thought this was true to them - entertaining and doesn’t take itself too seriously.  Alan Ritchson makes a much more believable Reacher than the vertically challenged Mr Cruise.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, time said:

I cancelled Netflix!

According to Kirstie Allsopp, you should now be able to buy a house outright, so congratulations on your financial acumen!

• Like 3

Started watching 1883. A reasonably gritty look at a family's travels from the poverty in Texas for a better life in Montana.  Only watched 2 episodes so far out of 8.  Not a huge fan of westerns, but I think I'm going to like this. 

2 hours ago, Boudicca said:

According to Kirstie Allsopp, you should now be able to buy a house outright, so congratulations on your financial acumen!

And start saving for your power bills.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Boudicca said:

Just another 277 years to go (possibly longer if prices rise at all).

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, time said:

Just another 277 years to go (possibly longer if prices rise at all).

Well you could halve that if you <checks notes> go back in time and choose richer parents.

• Haha 3

On 08/09/2021 at 13:55, time said:

NCIS anyone? It is apparently Teresa May's favourite program. I've watched some and I'm not sure if its bad, good, good in parts or so-bad-its-good. Who'd have thought the US Navy was such a magnet for crime.

It's 'of its time' I guess, featuring such delights as workplace bullying and sexual harassment, and at times anti-Arab/muslim sentiment (it started a coupleof years post 9/11, so...), but one or two storylines aren't bad.

To whoever asked how come Grey's Anatomy kept on getting renewed, this would appear to be the baseline standard!

I've finished the 16 seasons of NCIS available on Prime (that's 378 episodes!). It's by no means a great show - but watchable enough for the most part. It's been interesting to see its development; what started off as fairly one-dimensional characters had to have back-stories built to give them motivation for later storylines, as well as giving the writes somewhere to go! 

Only a few more weeks until Better Call Saul returns, and we've already got Peaky Blinders & The Last Kingdom (& Killing Eve if you're sticking with it) to watch.

Upload season 2 on Amazon. About life and death and life after death and so on. I forgot that the X-files smoking guy William Davis was in it. Looked a bit haggard, but in other scenes still okay, just old.

The show is nice, episodes are short and float by.

• Like 1

Just finished the 5th and final series of Last Kingdom (on Netflix for last 3 seasons), apart from a weak first episode full of clunky expository dialogue detailing the plot, very enjoyable and up to the standard of the previous 4.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Just finished the 5th and final series of Last Kingdom (on Netflix for last 3 seasons), apart from a weak first episode full of clunky expository dialogue detailing the plot, very enjoyable and up to the standard of the previous 4.

I haven't watched yet as I've been meaning to rewatch S4 first. Might start on that now.

You know there's an extra feature-length episode on the way as a finale?

2 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

I will get around to this soon, enjoyed the previous series, so good to hear this is up to par.

Currently watching Peaky Blinders, and frustrated that its only once a week, such have I been spoiled by having whole series drop all at once.

11 hours ago, Toast said:
12 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

I haven't watched yet as I've been meaning to rewatch S4 first. Might start on that now.

Yes, although after yesterday's S5 finale I'm not sure where they'll go with it. Don't think it is due to air for some time.

On 20/03/2022 at 21:08, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

On 20/03/2022 at 22:19, Toast said:

I started watching S5, didn't have a clue who half the characters are, so I might have to rewatch S4, but then I worry I won't remember half the characters and have to rewatch S3, etc.

59 minutes ago, time said:

I started watching S5, didn't have a clue who half the characters are, so I might have to rewatch S4, but then I worry I won't remember half the characters and have to rewatch S3, etc.

I'm halfway through my rewatch of S4, and didn't need any recaps as everyone is pretty well established. 

As long as you aren't too bothered about remembering the names  ....  Ælfthis and Ælfthat, Æthelwhat and Æthelwho .... not forgetting Cnut :D

Right then, arselings - I'm up to date and about to start TLK S5.  Destiny is all!

• Like 2

Four more episodes of TLK to go .....

Spoiler

Fascinated to see that Sigtryggr is presumably loosely based on this guy and that the name is a version of Sihtric.

A pity that TLK 's Sigtryggr didn't follow the example of his real life counterpart who "converted to Christianity, though this did not last long and he soon reverted to paganism."

Disappointed that Uhtred didn't mutter in his ear that he'd been baptised three times himself and it hadn't done him any harm.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Toast said:

Four more episodes of TLK to go

In three more episodes you'll only have TLTLK to go. :D

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

In three more episodes you'll only have TLTLK to go. :D

But there will still be the bonus episode to come.  "One more story that we wanted to tell".

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Reveal hidden contents

Fascinated to see that Sigtryggr is presumably loosely based on this guy and that the name is a version of Sihtric.

A pity that TLK 's Sigtryggr didn't follow the example of his real life counterpart who "converted to Christianity, though this did not last long and he soon reverted to paganism."

Disappointed that Uhtred didn't mutter in his ear that he'd been baptised three times himself and it hadn't done him any harm.  :rolleyes:

I'm rewatching S4; there's so much I don't remember, a few characters I only vaguely remember!

Awwww I've finished TLK.  What a superb series this has been.   Shamefully overlooked, it should have picked up loads of awards.

I've particularly enjoyed the parade of villains.  Such a variety of baddies over 46 episodes.

And Haesten :P

• Like 1

On 31/03/2022 at 14:14, Toast said:

Hide contents

Four episodes left myself now. It might be’recency bias’ but I think this is the best season of the lot (don’t tell me if it goes downhill!)

And I’ve finally got a handle on who’s Aldhelm and who’s Æthelhelm!

• Like 1

I read somewhere the other day that the producers of TLK made a huge error in not recasting as the series progressed - as happened with The Crown.

Of course the characters should have aged, but frankly I didn't give a shit that, for instance, mother, grandmother and granddaughter all looked the same age. 

The cast was so great I would have hated to lose any of them.

• Like 1