Sign in to follow this  
Banshees Scream

Bettie Page

Former model Bettie Page has just suffered a massive heart attack and is reported "critically ill".

She was involved with the sexual revolution of the 1960's.

No she wasn't. She was a 1950s pin up model who earned some notoriety posing in bondage shots. By the 1960s she had put that behind her and had become a devout Christian. The 1960s sexual revolution probably had more to do with the contraceptive pill first introduced in the US in 1960. In fashion and film the biggest influences were European - Bridget Bardot, Mary Quant, Twiggy - although its roots were in the US with the Kinsey and Masters and Johnson's reports of the 40s and 50s and the Beat writers had an influence too.

Former model Bettie Page has just suffered a massive heart attack and is reported "critically ill".

No she wasn't. She was a 1950s pin up model who earned some notoriety posing in bondage shots. By the 1960s she had put that behind her and had become a devout Christian. The 1960s sexual revolution probably had more to do with the contraceptive pill first introduced in the US in 1960. In fashion and film the biggest influences were European - Bridget Bardot, Mary Quant, Twiggy - although its roots were in the US with the Kinsey and Masters and Johnson's reports of the 40s and 50s and the Beat poets had an influence too.

One to watch, if she stumbles on with her life in the balance to Jan 1st, deffo obit-worthy. She'll get coverage, if only for the excuse for papers to run her pictures one more time.

No she wasn't. She was a 1950s pin up model who earned some notoriety posing in bondage shots. By the 1960s she had put that behind her and had become a devout Christian. The 1960s sexual revolution probably had more to do with the contraceptive pill first introduced in the US in 1960. In fashion and film the biggest influences were European - Bridget Bardot, Mary Quant, Twiggy - although its roots were in the US with the Kinsey and Masters and Johnson's reports of the 40s and 50s and the Beat poets had an influence too.

One to watch, if she stumbles on with her life in the balance to Jan 1st, deffo obit-worthy. She'll get coverage, if only for the excuse for papers to run her pictures one more time.

Could be a 'Shelley Winters' late year pick...Couldn't we have 25 names in the DDP?

Yeah, it's outrageous the way they do that.

BEP0502.jpg

Anubis was that the real Bettie Page or was it this woman who played her in the film biography? Just wondered out of interest, like. It's difficult to tell them apart.

1101414691737_Betty_Page.jpg

I bet she was "fearless" back in the day. I guess we all get old.

I was about to ask a certain member if they had a wife on the style of Bettie Page several years ago. I soon reminded myself that proposing such a question would be considered very rude.

Speaking as a straight female here, I think she's lovely. There's a kind of "just having a laugh" vibe to her pics. She seems really sweet and a fun person to have around.

bettiepage-bettie066.jpg

I feel this thread has gone off-topic somewhat. Please can some mod or another remove all the offending irrelevancies.

BradPitt01.jpg

I quite agree. It's shameful, sexist and just plain wrong and I for one, will not stand for it.....

B_369_Betty_Page.jpg

..er is it me or has it got hot in here! ;)

Ah well, can't win them all. Welcome to the list Ronnie Biggs!

BBC link

Banshees will feel particularly justified with the 4th paragraph...

Oh bollocks.

This is the cue for a nervous breakdown by me.

I'd just about kept the 2009 DDP entries on track & had only a small delay for 2008. Now I've got bucketloads of teams to change for 2009, and plenty to update for 2008. Bollocky bollocks. It was all going so well, as well. I'll have to update the DDP 2008 on Monday now, sorry for the delay.

My only saving grace is that she died on the 11th, and not the 31st.

time to turn the page.

But they're all stuck together ...

Oh bollocks.

This is the cue for a nervous breakdown by me.

I'd just about kept the 2009 DDP entries on track & had only a small delay for 2008. Now I've got bucketloads of teams to change for 2009, and plenty to update for 2008. Bollocky bollocks. It was all going so well, as well. I'll have to update the DDP 2008 on Monday now, sorry for the delay.

My only saving grace is that she died on the 11th, and not the 31st.

I wondered why there hasn't been updates. There's been a few deaths, but I realised that you would be prioritising on entries.

How many so far, OoO?

I wondered why there hasn't been updates. There's been a few deaths, but I realised that you would be prioritising on entries.

How many so far, OoO?

90 odd. Which is just about above average for this time. A few front-runners have entered already, but most will enter with a week or less to go.

I would normally have updated for von Bulow last Sunday, but I was in Finland last weekend & in London this weekend, and it has thrown things like DDP right out of the window in terms of doing stuff. Then this, and flipping Papadopolous, so.. if I am lucky - and very lucky - I will do it Sunday, but I have a feeling it will be Monday by the time I can sort it out.

Besides, there's a little concern from me about the setup for 2009 (the 1st year I'm doing it from scratch) so I'm trying to focus on that right now. But it WILL get done, I can assure you.

How many so far, OoO?

90 odd. Which is just about above average for this time. A few front-runners have entered already, but most will enter with a week or less to go.

I would normally have updated for von Bulow last Sunday, but I was in Finland last weekend & in London this weekend, and it has thrown things like DDP right out of the window in terms of doing stuff. Then this, and flipping Papadopolous, so.. if I am lucky - and very lucky - I will do it Sunday, but I have a feeling it will be Monday by the time I can sort it out.

Besides, there's a little concern from me about the setup for 2009 (the 1st year I'm doing it from scratch) so I'm trying to focus on that right now. But it WILL get done, I can assure you.

Hmmm they're confident! This week has been why I wait till the last possible moment. McCann gone, in goes Page. Page gone in goes...well that'll be telling! :skull:

Finland and London! You jet -setter! Last two days I've been in bed with flu. Caught up with some video programmes though and a rum bunch they are too: The Naked Civil Servant, Son of Man, Gimme Shelter and a documentary on Marty Feldman!

I feel like Marcel Proust...

How many so far, OoO?

And now with Van Johnson gone, as Phantom has pointed out in the dead thread, that probably doesn't help things much, eh? Already one or two minor sources covering his death in the UK...

And now with Van Johnson gone, as Phantom has pointed out in the dead thread, that probably doesn't help things much, eh? Already one or two minor sources covering his death in the UK...

No, it's a pigging disaster.

But I've got no chance to do ANYTHING until Sunday - new 2009 entries, replacing Page, Papadopolous & Johnson, 2008 updates anything. Ah well, looks like I'll just have to cram it into one big DDP-fest & get no sleep. :skull:

If Patrick Swayze dies before the 31st December, I really will have a breakdown....

...Van Johnson...

Van who? :skull:

I'm really not cut out for this deadpool business...

No, it's a pigging disaster.

But I've got no chance to do ANYTHING until Sunday - new 2009 entries, replacing Page, Papadopolous & Johnson, 2008 updates anything. Ah well, looks like I'll just have to cram it into one big DDP-fest & get no sleep. :skull:

If Patrick Swayze dies before the 31st December, I really will have a breakdown....

Or if one of the leading contenders gets a DDP-winning hit right at the death! :)