Grim Reaper

João Havelange

He turned 99 last week:

http://www.diez.hn/internacionales/838387-99/joão-havelange-ex-presidente-de-fifa-festeja-hoy-99-años

My Spanish isn't perfect but I think there's nothing in the article on how (or whether at all) he actually celebrated his birthday.

I have a translation on my device and its basically about how he founded the Fifa

Ah yes, in the same way Al Gore founded the Internet.

He turned 99 last week:

http://www.diez.hn/internacionales/838387-99/joão-havelange-ex-presidente-de-fifa-festeja-hoy-99-años

My Spanish isn't perfect but I think there's nothing in the article on how (or whether at all) he actually celebrated his birthday.

I have a translation on my device and its basically about how he founded the Fifa

FIFA was founded in 1904 at least a deade before he was born.

Yes, and the Brazilian FA wasn't a founding member (joined 1924). Neither was the English one (joined 1906), for that matter. The Dutch FA was.

Yes, and the Brazilian FA wasn't a founding member. Neither was the English one, for that matter. The Dutch FA was.

I wasn't going to go too much in to that, just that being born a decade after it was founded makes it impossible for him to have been a founding member. :)

Guest Guest

lets hop he doesn't make it to 100 !

lets hop he doesn't make it to 100 !

• Like 3

http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news/y=2006/m=5/news=joao-havelange-celebrates-90th-birthday-104160.html:Found this old article from 2006 that states he had a pacemaker fitted shortly before his 90th birthday. This could be significant as pacemakers need to be replaced every 10 years.I wonder if they will try to replace it next year given the fact that Havelange will be 100 then and has had a history of infections which will have undoubtedly weakened him.
  • Like 2

Apparently already in hospital for 10 days:

http://esportes.terra.com.br/lance/joao-havelange-esta-internado-ha-10-dias-afirma-colunista,c7a8a65976540b4450b809e9d69433cd4efhtwxb.html(link from brasil)

Indeed, YoungWillz, this development could mean a new record....

• Like 1

Doesn't seem very serious.

Don't get your hopes up too high.

Well, normally a respiratory infection is not terminal, but at 99 one needs to take even these small ailments seriously. I wouldn't be surprised if he recovered, but he might be our best bet for the 15th hit.

He was in hospital for some time last June. but then he made a recovery.

Maybe he will die... after all, the final weeks of the year are when all the extremely old Brazilians die (e.g. Niemeyer).

Well stable means not in current danger but the fact he is 99 and a half and has been in hospital numerous times for infections certainly puts this into perspective.He he has also had heart trouble meaning that he is at higher risk of heart failure owing to the infecion.I would say it could go either way but based on his age it is certainly dangerous.

Brazilian politician Cesar Maia tweeted he was dead, then had to retract and apologise. Never seen so much Portuguese arguing whether he was actually dead. For the moment, he lives....

Guest Guest

i predict he will linger rfor weeks going from deaths door and back again then will be the 15th hit on december 31

Such a tease. Sick and tired to my back teeth.

I just thought that maybe this might be more serious than we are thinking.When he was admitted to hospital this time it was for "respiratory problems" as opposed to his hospitalization for a lung infection last year.If it was another infection or a recurrence of the old one surely that would have been state?"Respiratory problems" in this context could mean COPD or respiratory failure possibly resulting from age or damage from the previous lung infection.Of course now I have said this he will probably break the world record for holding your breath under water tomorrow :P

Guest Guest

BREAKING NEWS- REPORTS ON TWITTER SAY ING JAOA HAVELANGE HAS DIED .IS HE HIT NO 15? ITS NOW AFTER MIDNIGHT WHERE HE LIVES ! WHAT DO WE DO????????????