themaninblack

Death Anniversary Thread

It has been 30 years since Dame Anna Neagle, who played Nell Gwynn, Queen Victoria, Florence Nightingale and Edith Cavell, took method acting to its ultimate extreme.

annaneagle16.jpg

• Like 3

It's not divisible by 5 but I'm not waiting another 4 years to the post about somone I find interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Kingsley

Doesn't need to be divisible by 5. You can post whenever you want and just ignore the berating from SC.

It's not divisible by 5 but I'm not waiting another 4 years to the post about somone I find interesting.

you monster! Sir crap isn't going to be happy at all. You've done an unforgivable thing.

you monster! Sir crap isn't going to be happy at all. You've done an unforgivable thing.

You won't get a like though :smileyd: And what about a pic, their age and a wince inducing pun?

• Like 2

You won't get a like though :smileyd: And what about a pic, their age and a wince inducing pun?
dude wtf I posted a funny post so I get a like. I know cat O'Falk is behind this.
  • Like 1

90 years since the Demon bowler had his last over, Fred Spofforth died aged 72.

fred-spofforth.jpg

Karl von Hartmann died 110 years ago aged 64. He was a German philosopher, drinking habits unknown.

220px-Karl_Robert_Eduard_von_Hartmann_-_

• Like 1

55 years since Carl Gustav Jung lost touch permanently with the Collective Unconscious aged 85. It is a shame that his legacy is to be associated with the MBTI personality test.

carl-gustav-jung.jpg

It's been 10 years since Billy Preston left us.

8c53551de301801f521058af4508d272.jpeg

• Like 2

Robert Francis Kennedy assassinated today in 1968 aged 42...

Senator-Robert-Kennedy-Ca-007.jpg

10 years ago today, jazz pianist Hilton Ruiz left us aged 54.

hiltonr.jpg

• Like 1

It has been a year unbelievably since the death of Christopher Lee aged 93. No sign of resurrection yet but there's still time.

christopher-lee.jpg

• Like 1

June 7:

Chief Seattle - 150 years

Some French author Émile with the unfortunate surname Faguet pronounce it however you wish - 100 years

Max Factor, Jr. - 20 years

Alan Turing. 62 years

alan-turing.jpg

• Like 1

June 8:

George Sand - 140 years

No one worth noting - every five year interval since (post only out of desperation for post whoring).

• Like 1

Post whore here. 20 years since the death of famous, in the UK, animal(but especially bird) impersonator Percy Edwards aged 88.

Percy_Edwards_MBE.png

• Like 1

35 years ago today, game show host Allen Ludden died at the age of 63.

allen-Ludden.jpg-3668.jpg

• Like 2

June 8th marks the death of Muhammad. Yep. Not the boxer. Funny, their death dates are 5 days apart.

155 years since the death of Anna Atkins aged 72, who published the first book with pictures.

anna-atkins.jpg

June 8th marks the death of Muhammad. Yep. Not the boxer. Funny, their death dates are 5 days apart.

Funny in what way? It was only a 365.25 to 1 shot that it was on the same day. Whilst it isn't a 5 year interval death (that's next year) I would have given you a like if you'd have provided a picture (or possibly even a cartoon likeness).

• Like 1

It's 45 years ago to the day the earth stood still forever for Michael Rennie aged 61.

220px-MichaelRennie2.jpg

• Like 1

Antoni Gaudi, architect; his surname the genesis of the word 'gaudy' to describe his over-the-top kitschy designs - 90 years

Jack Johnson, boxer, first black heavyweight champ - 70 years

• Like 1

Antoni Gaudi, architect; his surname the genesis of the word 'gaudy' to describe his over-the-top kitschy designs - 90 years

That is not true. The word 'gaudy' is much older than that, it's in Shakespeare. Comes from the Latin gaudere, meaning rejoice/celebrate, I think.

Those A levels not completely forgotten

• Like 3

That is not true. The word 'gaudy' is much older than that, it's in Shakespeare. Comes from the Latin gaudere, meaning rejoice/celebrate, I think.

Those A levels not completely forgotten

According to the NGRAM viewer https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=gaudy&year_start=1300&year_end=2000&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2Cgaudy%3B%2Cc0#t1%3B%2Cgaudy%3B%2Cc1

gaudy first appeared in written form in 1578 which is around Shakespeare's time but before his plays were first published.

• Like 2