Grim Reaper

Comedic Euthanasia?

Having read numerous reviews in the newspapers of the TV show and also now of a live stage show, I have finally had a chance to check out some of the show in question myself.

The "Horne and Corden" TV show only seems to beg one question. Are comedians now allowed to voluntarily terminate their comedy careers in public? This can be the only explanation for what is going on here. I thought there were laws against this in the UK.

Presumably Jack Kevorkian has prepared some of these lethals scripts they are using? Or has he provided minimal assistance, recognising that these apparently talentless bastards will be able to destroy whatever careers they might have had with little external intervention?

Obviously there are moral issues here. Clearly these boys must be suffering greatly from the celebrity status they have received from Gavin and Stacey, but should they be using TV license money to carry out this shocking act?

Or am i overreacting :rolleyes:

Before I even read your post, I knew it was going to be about Horne and Corden. You're not exaggerting, I thibk your explanation can be the only possible reason behind the show.

James Corden has never been funny so it's hard to work out how this abysmal offering can be any worse than most of his other shows in his portfolio.

And no, I don't find Gavin & Stacey funny. Seems that I might be in a minority, but I just don't enjoy it, sorry.

They've risen too far and too fast for some people's liking I reckon...

James Corden has never been funny so it's hard to work out how this abysmal offering can be any worse than most of his other shows in his portfolio.

And no, I don't find Gavin & Stacey funny. Seems that I might be in a minority, but I just don't enjoy it, sorry.

From the five or ten minutes I saw of Gavin and Stacey it didn't look particularly funny, but compared to Horne and Corden it's comedy genius.

Having read numerous reviews in the newspapers of the TV show and also now of a live stage show, I have finally had a chance to check out some of the show in question myself.

The "Horne and Corden" TV show only seems to beg one question. Are comedians now allowed to voluntarily terminate their comedy careers in public? This can be the only explanation for what is going on here. I thought there were laws against this in the UK.

Presumably Jack Kevorkian has prepared some of these lethals scripts they are using? Or has he provided minimal assistance, recognising that these apparently talentless bastards will be able to destroy whatever careers they might have had with little external intervention?

Obviously there are moral issues here. Clearly these boys must be suffering greatly from the celebrity status they have received from Gavin and Stacey, but should they be using TV license money to carry out this shocking act?

Or am i overreacting :rolleyes:

You should be so lucky; I have to edit programme guides for this sh*t. Should you ever idly press your Sky info button and see something rather rude written about Messrs Horne & Corden, you'll have me to blame/thank.

Fortunately I don't have to watch it, though.

From the five or ten minutes I saw of Gavin and Stacey it didn't look particularly funny, but compared to Horne and Corden it's comedy genius.

I don't like them either.

Then again, I didn't find 'The Office' particularly funny.

Maybe I have no sense of humour.

I found The Office to be overrated too. I do have a sense of humour, just not a very fashionable one.

I heard their film sucks too.

I found The Office to be overrated too. I do have a sense of humour, just not a very fashionable one.

Is this the UK or the US version of The Office?

Is this the UK or the US version of The Office?

The UK.

The only thing I found funny in it was the fat man (the one that wasn't Ricky).

I agree about The Office, I didn't find it as hilariously guffaw-inducing as some people, and as much as I've tried to like Ricky Gervais, I just can't get past the fact that he's a smug twat.

I have liked the little I've seen of Gavin and Stacey though, and, in the same vein as above, as much as I've tried NOT to like the smug James Corden, I do.

Of course, there's nothing funnier on TV at the moment than the re-runs of The New Statesman. I love anything Rik Mayall does, but B'Stard is just genius.

Hang on now!

The Office, both UK and US, were/are cracking shows and should be banned from further mention in this thread :rolleyes:

Comic Euthanasia? I thought this thread was going to be about using Monty Python's "killer joke" to kill someone (my dog has no nose....).

Never actually watched it! Is it really as bad as you are all saying it is?

Hang on now!

The Office, both UK and US, were/are cracking shows and should be banned from further mention in this thread :rolleyes:

They were shite.

I'm afraid you have fallen for the ploy that 'The Office' is a clever comedy. Thus if you don't laugh, you don't get it, and if you don't get it you must be stupid.

Also, what was with the dance. It wasn't that funny either...

It is strange though, as I like the American show 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'. It is practically the same style as 'The Office', but I actually find it funny. Most people I know don't like it though.

Hang on now!

I'm with the majority on this. I don't understand why the Office became so popular, unless..

1. It wasn't really that popular, just among media types and people who worked in those kind of working environments

2. It was hyped to the tits by the media

And I hate Ricky Gervais....

It is strange though, as I like the American show 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'. It is practically the same style as 'The Office', but I actually find it funny. Most people I know don't like it though.

Identifying the audience of "Curb Your Enthusiasm' isn't easy as it can appeal to a wide range of people. The typical viewers may be a couple in their thirties who get a kick out of Larry David's "small talk" humor. I admire his work for it's simplicity as he is very productive and sort of bases his comedy upon previous experiences and even his current life. I also like the fact that he usually has "an ending" to most of his episodes. I think he was supposed to have another season but it hasn't premiered yet.

Hang on now!

I'm with the majority on this. I don't understand why the Office became so popular, unless..

1. It wasn't really that popular, just among media types and people who worked in those kind of working environments

2. It was hyped to the tits by the media

And I hate Ricky Gervais....

I was sort of under the impression that The Office was more of a mens appeal type comedy, similar to Alan Partridge. I can watch both, laugh a bit but on the whole know of other things I find funnier. However that said, If I had to watch TV I'd be much happier watching The Office than anything with Anthea Turner (or any former BP presenter), C J de Moggy (or any other egghead), Nicky Campbell (or any other has been but never was), oh just insert any smug git here you get the idea.

In my book, The Office was pretty revolutionary in its style of humour - it pretty much introduced a style of "uncomfortable to watch" humour which maybe some people didn't like. The fact that this has become a frequently used style now probably takes away from it these days.

Curb Your Enthusiasm very much picks up on its idea but is done from a more sympathetic viewpoint. There was an Aussie comedy "Summer Heights High" which used a similar style and I thought was pretty amusing.

Anyway none of this discussion should take away from Horne and Corden - I had even forgotten about their movie which also got horrific reviews.

I had to chuckle when in my newspaper this morning there was an article almost picking up on this thread Horne and Corden: is this the end?

On the topic of comedy that divides groups right down the line into people that piss their pants laughing, and other that remain unmoved and slightly confused by the other group -- The Flight of The Conchords sees me happily warming myself in the first group, and my wife muttering to herself in the latter.

And for the record, I like both versions of The Office.

In my book, The Office was pretty revolutionary in its style of humour - it pretty much introduced a style of "uncomfortable to watch" humour which maybe some people didn't like. The fact that this has become a frequently used style now probably takes away from it these days.

Curb Your Enthusiasm very much picks up on its idea but is done from a more sympathetic viewpoint. There was an Aussie comedy "Summer Heights High" which used a similar style and I thought was pretty amusing.

Anyway none of this discussion should take away from Horne and Corden - I had even forgotten about their movie which also got horrific reviews.

I had to chuckle when in my newspaper this morning there was an article almost picking up on this thread Horne and Corden: is this the end?

Not seen This Is Spinal Tap or The King of Comedy then... :rolleyes:

The strange thing that struck me about the Office is that it's a spoof documentary without the voice over or the participation of a spoof documentary maker, which is the case in virtually all mockumentaries including the disgraced Chris Langhams' People Like Us, made before the Office... :(

Guest Ronnie Pudding

Not seen This Is Spinal Tap or The King of Comedy then... :rolleyes:

The strange thing that struck me about the Office is that it's a spoof documentary without the voice over or the participation of a spoof documentary maker, which is the case in virtually all mockumentaries including the disgraced Chris Langhams' People Like Us, made before the Office... :(

I wouldn't call Spinal Tap "uncomfortable to watch" humour, certainly not in relation to The Office. Unless you're Jimmy Page or Rob Halford, perhaps.

On the topic of comedy that divides groups right down the line into people that piss their pants laughing, and other that remain unmoved and slightly confused by the other group -- The Flight of The Conchords sees me happily warming myself in the first group, and my wife muttering to herself in the latter.

And for the record, I like both versions of The Office.

Conchords is a glorious show - not often laugh-out-loud funny but always very pleasing. Second (and likely to be the last) season has just finished in the US and was quite possibly better than the first season. S2Ep5 is not to be missed (although perhaps Aussies might not agree).

I forgot to ask last night but who are Gavin and Stacey? I thought I knew but now I don't. I haven't seen the programme but I saw something about a comic relief song which lead me to believe that Gavin was that Welsh bloke that used to do monologues in cars, which I didn't find very funny. Though that article GR just linked isn't one of them. The guy from Teachers right? I see from the thread I am not missing much even if I do have a 4 year gap in anglophonic culture I doubt I'll be playing catch up when I do go back.