Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

A rider has been killed in the second Supersport race of this weekend's Ulster Grand Prix meeting. They've not been named at present, presumably as some relatives have yet to be informed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-33838095

Now named Andy Lawson, 24. http://www.motorsport.com/bike/news/scottish-rider-andy-lawson-dies-in-ulster-grand-prix/

• Like 1

Guy Martin's crash, which resulted in him having back surgery, on the BBC site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/northern-ireland/33818081

Note the marshall taking a nosedive into the mud. Guy Martin is seemingly indestructible, it's not the first pant-shitter he's had in a road race.

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm noting that those marshalls appear fairly partial to a snack; split seconds are vital in saving racers' lives, right?

Note the marshall taking a nosedive into the mud. Guy Martin is seemingly indestructible, it's not the first pant-shitter he's had in a road race.

I'm noting that those marshalls appear fairly partial to a snack; split seconds are vital in saving racers' lives, right?

Being a fairly regular visitor to various tracks around the country, you would be surprised at the amount of fatties that give up their weekends to don the orange suit in the name of health and safety - me and my old man (who are both of the more rotund variety) often have a chuckle at the weebles trying to run across the gravel traps. They of course all do a sterling job of retrieving broken bikes and riders as quickly and cleanly as possible to enable racing to continue - other countries could take a lesson from our marshalls - a notable incident comes to mind of the marshalls at Sepang who dropped the stretcher containing the dying Marco Simoncelli.

• Like 1

Being a fairly regular visitor to various tracks around the country, you would be surprised at the amount of fatties that give up their weekends to don the orange suit in the name of health and safety - me and my old man (who are both of the more rotund variety) often have a chuckle at the weebles trying to run across the gravel traps. They of course all do a sterling job of retrieving broken bikes and riders as quickly and cleanly as possible to enable racing to continue - other countries could take a lesson from our marshalls - a notable incident comes to mind of the marshalls at Sepang who dropped the stretcher containing the dying Marco Simoncelli.

Easier that way, the dead don't sue!

Damn that was quick. RIP he was a good driver in his day.

SC

Or the ones at Suzuka in 03 who killed, sorry I mean lifted Daijiro Kato by the arms and legs letting his head swing like a pendulum!

Marshalls over here wont move a rider unless in danger of burning, drowning ect, they leave that to the medics or "flying Doctors" thou we lost one of the Drs a few weeks ago in a crash at Skerries outside Dublin.

Guest D.F.Dahlin  http://a2zrace

Help Tony with his burden while he fights for his life. Go to a2zracer.com/ fund

maxresdefault.jpg

Guy Martin announces new book When You Dead, You Dead coming out in October: http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/Guy-Martin-Dead-Dead-new-book/story-27594027-detail/story.html

• Like 1

James Campbell Jr., a sprint car driver, died Friday night after a crash during the warm-up laps for an event at Williams Grove Speedway in Pennsylvania. Campbell was killed after hitting a wall on the half-mile track during a warm-up lap.

SC

Indycar's Justin Wilson's life is in the balance after he was hit in the head by Sage Karam's nose cone after he spun out during today's race at the Oval of the Pocono raceway. We've seen what the damage can be when a spring hits you in the head (Massa). Updates to follow. Wilson had to be airlifted to the hospital.

Footage of the incident below.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/nosecone-strikes-justin-wilson-in-head-wilson-airlifte-1726018983#_ga=1.69473360.1591089571.1436717139

Been over 2 hours since it happened and no word other than he was unconscious and unresponsive according to his team mate. Rumour is that they're waiting for the family to get there from Colorado before they announce anything. If there was good news, they would have announced it by now

And with Guy Ligier's passing, I think I lead the DDP theme team league now. I'd rather Justin was OK, though. Really nice guy. Been following his career since I saw him race in Formula Vauxhall at Pembrey in 1998, and then through F3000 where he was team mates with Gonzalo Rodriguez, who also died in a tragic accident...

Official statement.

In a coma, condition critical.

Ryan Hunter-Reay, won his 16th career win this race, which ties him with Dan Wheldon; the last Indy driver to perish in a race.

Now he'll be firing Andrea de Cesaris in heaven...

(p.s. unless I've missed something Justin Wilson becomes the first driver from a 2000s F1 race to die)

RIP Justin Wilson - fine driver and all round nice guy. He will be missed by too many people.

This is a bad year for racing R.I.P Jules bianchi and Justin Wilson

O Of O presents useful tips - note, some of these are famous for not just Grand Prix:

[snip]

Hans Klenk & Eric Thompson b. 1919

Both are in reasonable health. Klenk was a constructor/sportscar ace, Thompson had a few GP's & worked at Lloyd's & ran his bookshop. However both have only a slim chance of an obit.

[snip]

Eric Thompson has died at 95. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120491

Thought I'd update Octopus of Odstock's list posted on 22 February 2006. There are still some survivors and I've left in the original comments for the survivors. All info taken from Wiki, corrections from those more knowledgeable appreciated.

Paul Pietsch b. 1911 d. 2012

Emmanuel de Graffenried b. 1914 d. 2007

Paul Frere b. 1917 d. 2008

Robert Manzon b. 1917 d. 2015

John Fitch b. 1917 d. 2012

Tony Rolt b. 1918 d. 2008

Andre Guelfi b. 1919
Another man whose fame is greater than his GP career - just one racer. Likely to get an obit on the BBC as he was the man who was embroiled in the Elf Aquaitaine scandal & very well known in France. Also had a role in the IOC. In good health though.

Hans Klenk b. 1919 d. 2009

Eric Thompson b. 1919 d. 2015

Andre Simon b. 1920 d. 2012

Tony Crook b. 1920 d. 2014

Tony Gaze DFC AOM b. 1920 d. 2013

Les Leston b. 1920 d. 2012

Kenneth McAlpine OBE b. 1920
Member of McAlpine construction family & Connaught racing. Obit assured, health is, again, solid.

Roy Salvadori b. 1922 d. 2012

Leslie Marr Bt. b. 1922
More famous as an artist. Definite obit, of which racing would be a small mention. No known health scares, but a little more frail recently.

Jose Froilan Gonzalez b. 1922 d. 2013

Carroll Shelby b. 1923 d. 2012

Roberto Mieres b. 1924 d. 2012

Maria Teresa de Fillippis b. 1926

de Fillippis ... due to her being the first woman in F1.

Sir Jack Brabham b. 1926 d. 2014

Phil Hill b. 1927 d. 2008

John Rhodes b. 1927
Might well get an obit due to being a legend in club racing. This would be broadsheet only, kinda news in brief etc. Was in good health a few years back, but I haven't heard much of him last few years

Lloyd Ruby b. 1928 d. 2009

Hans Herrmann b. 1928
Obit possible due to relative fame in his day. But, despite overweight, another in fine health.

Sir Stirling Moss b.1929
Perhaps the most famous living driver, obit certain. Has had prostate cancer, but recovered. A little frailer than before as a result, but I don't see him going just yet, too active.

Guy Ligier b. 1930 d. 2015

I'm sure we've also discussed Norman Dewis, 90+ former Jaguar driver, in close proximity to the massive Le Mans accident in 1955 and Jaguar's chief test driver for many years. Obitable, surely.