Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

Tony Adamowicz has advanced brain cancer

Jaime Alguersuari unable to drive due to mystery illness.

Not good for drivers beginning with A

Chris Amon is healthy and pensionable, living in New Zealand

Alguersuari retires at just 25 years of age. Though it appears that illness is no longer seen as serious.

http://www.f1today.net/en/news/205558/alguersuari-retires-from-motor-racing-at-age-of-25

Happy 92th birthday for Murray Walker!

92th?

92th?

He has a better command of English as a second language than most Brits do as a first.

• Like 2

92th?

He has a better command of English as a second language than most Brits do as a first.

You're right. It was the 91nd plus one.

Jacques Villeneuve Sr to race at the Canadian Grand Prix undercard this weekend.

Another DDP write off! I thought he was quietly dying of stomach cancer

http://www.motorsport.com/openwheel/news/jacques-villeneuve-sr-to-race-again-at-montreal/

You and me both!

Jacques Villeneuve Sr had announced he intends to take part in the 2016 Ski-doo Grand Prix, to be held in February. With regards to his cancer, he has apparently been "medically cleared" to race, which doesn't tell us much really. Anyway, he's fired from my DDP team for a truly woeful performance.

• Like 1

Jacques Villeneuve Sr to race at the Canadian Grand Prix undercard this weekend.

Another DDP write off! I thought he was quietly dying of stomach cancer

http://www.motorsport.com/openwheel/news/jacques-villeneuve-sr-to-race-again-at-montreal/

You and me both!

Jacques Villeneuve Sr had announced he intends to take part in the 2016 Ski-doo Grand Prix, to be held in February. With regards to his cancer, he has apparently been "medically cleared" to race, which doesn't tell us much really. Anyway, he's fired from my DDP team for a truly woeful performance.

My own fault for looking at the DDP in January and thinking "Ok, he's not unique, but if DDT picked him I must be on the right lines"...

Guest dirtracer18

NASCAR driver Ron Bouchard has passed away from cancer.

Motorcycle racer and builder, Ray Price has died at the age of 78.

He dies 2 years to the day that country singer, Ray Price died.

• Like 2

Dirtracer18 I know you're new here so just a heads up, we got the 'Fringes of Fame' thread that would probably be a better spot for family members of the famous. It's pretty popular so you'll see it often enough.

As for Bobby Allison, looks like he can finally make the rounds.

SC

Dirtracer18 I know you're new here so just a heads up, we got the 'Fringes of Fame' thread that would probably be a better spot for family members of the famous. It's pretty popular so you'll see it often enough.

As for Bobby Allison, looks like he can finally make the rounds.

SC

Okay, thanks for the heads-up

Guest Guest

Maria Teresa De Filippis died last night. Well done if you picked her for the DDP.

Tony Adamowicz has posted on Facebook for the first time since August so although he still has grade 4 brain cancer, he has clearly made some recovery.

Maria Teresa De Filippis died last night. Well done if you picked her for the DDP.

Tony Adamowicz has posted on Facebook for the first time since August so although he still has grade 4 brain cancer, he has clearly made some recovery.

Yes, on New Years Eve, that is, after the Deathrace deadline, an article about him made use of the word 'recovery':

http://www.racer.com/north-american-racing/item/124867-american-racing-legend-adamowicz-fighting-brain-cancer

Instead of days, he might well have weeks or months left. Probably not years though.

Yes, on New Years Eve, that is, after the Deathrace deadline, an article about him made use of the word 'recovery':

http://www.racer.com/north-american-racing/item/124867-american-racing-legend-adamowicz-fighting-brain-cancer

Instead of days, he might well have weeks or months left. Probably not years though.

Adamowicz is DI's (i.e. the current Deathrace leader's) joker, could be significant, eh?

Adamowicz is DI's (i.e. the current Deathrace leader's) joker, could be significant, eh?

since when did Tony adamowitz have brain cancer and why was I not informed of this.

List Updated for de Filippis: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-s-first-ever-female-driver-passes-away-aged-89-666763/

Paul Pietsch b. 1911 d. 2012
Emmanuel de Graffenried b. 1914 d. 2007
Paul Frere b. 1917 d. 2008
Robert Manzon b. 1917 d. 2015
John Fitch b. 1917 d. 2012
Tony Rolt b. 1918 d. 2008

Andre Guelfi b. 1919
Another man whose fame is greater than his GP career - just one racer. Likely to get an obit on the BBC as he was the man who was embroiled in the Elf Aquaitaine scandal & very well known in France. Also had a role in the IOC. In good health though.

Hans Klenk b. 1919 d. 2009

Eric Thompson b. 1919 d. 2015
Andre Simon b. 1920 d. 2012
Tony Crook b. 1920 d. 2014
Tony Gaze DFC AOM b. 1920 d. 2013
Les Leston b. 1920 d. 2012

Kenneth McAlpine OBE b. 1920
Member of McAlpine construction family & Connaught racing. Obit assured, health is, again, solid.

Roy Salvadori b. 1922 d. 2012

Leslie Marr Bt. b. 1922
More famous as an artist. Definite obit, of which racing would be a small mention. No known health scares, but a little more frail recently.

Jose Froilan Gonzalez b. 1922 d. 2013
Carroll Shelby b. 1923 d. 2012
Roberto Mieres b. 1924 d. 2012

Maria Teresa de Filippis b. 1926 d 2016
Sir Jack Brabham b. 1926 d. 2014
Phil Hill b. 1927 d. 2008

John Rhodes b. 1927
Might well get an obit due to being a legend in club racing. This would be broadsheet only, kinda news in brief etc. Was in good health a few years back, but I haven't heard much of him last few years

Lloyd Ruby b. 1928 d. 2009

Hans Herrmann b. 1928
Obit possible due to relative fame in his day. But, despite overweight, another in fine health.

Sir Stirling Moss b.1929
Perhaps the most famous living driver, obit certain. Has had prostate cancer, but recovered. A little frailer than before as a result, but I don't see him going just yet, too active.

Guy Ligier b. 1930 d. 2015

I like to think that for the Deathrace you basically only need 5-6 "locks". If they die within the first month, you've won. The other 14-15 picks can be gambles. So if one of your gambles turns out to be a dud, it's no biggie. But then I would have thought that Adamowicz would be a lock (didn't make him my joker by coincidnece), and that might be significant, because otherwise Death Impends would be the big favourite to win at this point, needing only Adamowicz and a second hit to win. Without him, DI, DDT and SC all still need three hits to win, with all the "walking corpses" already dead. And if Adamowicz is a dud, it reduces the potential of the teams who picked him by a 20th. So Sir Creep and me are similarly slighty disadvantaged. Hmm... I guess that makes DDT the statistical favorite at this point.

I like to think that for the Deathrace you basically only need 5-6 "locks". If they die within the first month, you've won. The other 14-15 picks can be gambles. So if one of your gambles turns out to be a dud, it's no biggie. But then I would have thought that Adamowicz would be a lock (didn't make him my joker by coincidnece), and that might be significant, because otherwise Death Impends would be the big favourite to win at this point, needing only Adamowicz and a second hit to win. Without him, DI, DDT and SC all still need three hits to win, with all the "walking corpses" already dead. And if Adamowicz is a dud, it reduces the potential of the teams who picked him by a 20th. So Sir Creep and me are similarly slighty disadvantaged. Hmm... I guess that makes DDT the statistical favorite at this point.

Aye, good reasoning.

With the added complication that some of the conspicious low-hangers, notably Ms Feek, will simply shower the points all over the place as and when, enabling the whole field to dream of a lucky break or two putting them up top./