honez

Winter Olympic Deaths

Victor Mamatov (Wikidead at 87

He won a gold medal at the 1968 Winter Olympics in Grenoble.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sinbabad said:

Russian figure skater Oleg Protopopov, Olympic Champion in 1964 and 1968 with USSR in pairs, has died aged 91.

There's an ice skating theme team on the DDP and he's on it. So another to watch for the DDP pile pending QO.

15 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

There's an ice skating theme team on the DDP and he's on it. So another to watch for the DDP pile pending QO.

I can’t imagine a QO coming Unless the defection gets it mentioned somewhere. 

40 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I can’t imagine a QO coming Unless the defection gets it mentioned somewhere. 

He and his wife were quite famous when I was a child.

Incidentally I've got him as an O in the Dictionary pool.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

He and his wife were quite famous when I was a child.

Incidentally I've got him as an O in the Dictionary pool.

Looking up her death from 2917 she got a New York Times obituary but as far as I can tell nothing QO. 

But I’ve just noticed they were BBC Oversea Sport personality of the year in 1968 so a round up mention from them is possible thorough she didn’t get one in 2017. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Looking up her death from 2917 she got a New York Times obituary but as far as I can tell nothing QO.

Are you aka "Guy From Future"?

41 minutes ago, Toast said:

Are you aka as "Guy From Future"?

Opps. I of course mean 2017. 

Alfred Roch, born June 8, 1925, died August 1, was the oldest living Olympic cross-country skier. Roch represented Switzerland in the 50 kilometer race at the 1952 Oslo Games, where he placed 16th. The new titleholder in this regard is Giacomo Mosele, born on July 30, 1925, who represented Italy in the 18 kilometer race at the same Games and came 34th.

https://www.libramemoria.com/defunts/roch-charles-alfred/b425918da31a4ae083dc4eeab99743ce?fbclid=IwAR00ow0rnmS7B2GkDEyoBi2rTlGSGjLNPT1_A2PanQ2DPlsXsk3MfwwwqTE

Alfred-Roch.jpg

• Like 2

Czech ice hockey player Roman Cechmanek , who was Olympic Champion with the Czech Republic in 1998, has died aged 52. He’s the first member of the team to die.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sinbabad said:

Czech ice hockey player Roman Cechmanek , who was Olympic Champion with the Czech Republic in 1998, has died aged 52. He’s the first member of the team to die.

Cechmanek also played four seasons in the National Hockey League in between years-long stints plying his trade in the Czech pro leagues and also in Germany.

image.jpeg.01aec2da565530c5669bfe9dd0b93cca.jpeg

• Like 2

On 13/11/2023 at 10:51, diego said:

Helena Pilejczyk was born in Zieluń, Poland and died aged 92 on 12 November. She was a speed skater and won the bronze medal at the 1960 Olympics in the 1,500 m.

https://www.portel.pl/sport/zmarla-helena-pilejczyk-1-kwietnia-1931-r-12-listopada-2023-r/136787

220px-Helena_Pilejczyk_2.jpg

She was the oldest Polish Olympic medalist, now that person is Maria Golimowska, born on August 28, 1932, who was already the oldest living Olympic medalist in volleyball. Golimowska represented Poland at the 1964 Tokyo Games tournament, where she won the bronze medal. She also won bronze at the 1956 and 1962 World Championships and the 1958 European Championships, as well as silver at the 1963 European Championships.

André Monnier was born in Foncine-le-Haut, Jura (FRA) on 26 June 1926 and died in Chamblay, Jura (FRA) on 8 October 2023, he was the oldest known living Olympic ski jumper, now at Apparently, this distinction passed to Max Bolkart, born on July 29, 1932, who represented Germany at the 1956, 1960 and 1964 Winter Games

Olympedia – André Monnier

95544.jpg

• Like 1

Joanne Hewson, Canadian alpine skier who competed at the 1952 games has died aged 93. Obit

Maxim Gustik, Belarusian freestyle skier who competed at the 2018 and 2022 games and won bronze at the 2015 World Championships has died aged 35. Obit (In Russian). 

• Like 1