Phantom

Your Least Impressive Celebrity Encounters

I have never met anyone famous per se. However, last August when I was in the Brussels train station on my way to a friend's wedding, I sat next to a tableful of the band Basement Jaxx.

I never would have recognised them were it not for someone holding a plackard with their name on it (like the one chauffers hold when people get off planes). Once I realised it was them, I couldn't stop staring, even though I tried not to (I think the keyboard player is pretty hot). This is the only occassion in my life, thus far, that I've come anywhere near having any contact with anyone famous.

Come to think of it, there's a strong possibility I've encountered numerous other famous people, but I have terrible powers of recognition so even if I'd tripped over them I wouldn't have realised it. Unless they were holding a plackard with their name on it, of course...

Acknowledgments: I'd like to thank HCW and Bou for their help, which led to my being able to post this message B)

Only to "celebs" that I've bumped into are Dudley Sutton (Tinker in "Lovejoy")

I preferred Dudley Sutton when he played Mr Carter the history teacher in the Beiderbecke Trilogy

I've bumped into Mark Wing-Davey (Zaphod Beedlebrox) and also Christopher Biggins up by Tower Hill, although not on the same day

I preferred Dudley Sutton when he played Mr Carter the history teacher in the Beiderbecke Trilogy

I've bumped into Mark Wing-Davey (Zaphod Beedlebrox) and also Christopher Biggins up by Tower Hill, although not on the same day

I've also remembered meeting 'Jonno' Coleman, the fat Aussie DJ, hardly a celeb,

But what stood out was that he had an attractive girl on either arm, it's an unjust world. B)

oh I also remembered that while at college, we all went for a drink at the Fox & Hounds in Putney (now just called The Fox) and who should be drinking in there? None other than Ollie Reed. The b*stard snuck out the back way when it was his turn to buy a round

I'm not sure if Tinker from Lovejoy can be bettered as the most 'AAAA+ list' celeb you could wish to meet; hats off to Tempus Fugit I say.

The closest I can manage is Cheryl Baker from Bucks Fizz fame, and I got her autograph! And the autographs of several far less famous people, although Gonch, the Ginger one from 80's Grange Hill no less, was possibly one of them.

This heady introduction to the world of celebrity was in my local park about 20 years ago (the Bexley Festival in Danson Park, probably doesn't deserve capitals), so the two above were both still quite famous at the time. But already desperate by the look of it...

I have since shunned the celebrity limelight, hard as that may be to believe.

Had a couple of pints with Glen Matlock after he'd finishing rehearsing one evening. Rat Scabies was drumming but he had to go home.

When out in Hyde Park, saw Jimmy Savile jogging in that awful gold tracksuit he used to wear, he stopped for quick chat and then shook my hand - obviously I washed it immediately in the Serpentine.

Delivered a parcel to the bloke who used to voice the Paddington Bear TV shows. Michael somebody I think - very old then - dead now.

Oh, and I used to work with the cousin of Marco Pirroni (of Adam and the Ants) - it doesn't get any better than that!

DWB B)

Was in film production society at Uni with Brian Blessed's nephew

Well you've certainly lived the dream, handrejka.

• Like 1

Once got pleasently p***ed with Tom Jones & his son at Heathrow on one of his tax exile visits to UK,nice guy even sent us a drink from !st class.Never invited us in though - miserable ba***rd!

I met Roald Dahl when I was a child, he signed a copy of "Fantastic Mr Fox" for me as it was one of my favourite books at the time.

My mum gave away the book to a jumble sale a few years later B):D:(:(:(:(

michael - nay, sir michael horden - was the voice of paddington. now that's what you call a celebrity. looks like some of you work at the house of commons, which is prime politician territory. i have a chum (two really, but one doesn't like to talk about it) who work there, and i once went down the escalator at westminster tube behind ann widdicombe before the blonde dye job - it actually looked like the poor woman had a bald patch, so i wouldn't have thought peroxide was a wise choice.

met lots of eighties indie types, and used to live round the corner from alan mcgee and help pack early creation singles into sleeves. had a long talk with bobby gillespie about can - always figured he has great taste but little talent. mostly muso types as used to work amongst them.

did meet Anthony Armstrong Jones - ex-of princess margaret whose title escapes me right now - at some charity do, and he was a really nice bloke, and very down-to-earth, which surprised me. also met lemmy back in the day, but all he did was borrow a couple of quid for the one-arm bandit and not get his round in!

favourite 'sleb' types have actually been those who are minor, or cult figures. used to know Richard Gordon, the film producer and distributor, also the late Vernon Sewell, director of many a b-movie, ITC episode and brit horror epic. and also know the son of Michael Klinger (producer of Get Carter).

but most of those don't count really as have had jobs in media industries, so it's just work.

gave me a chance to be a flash bugger, though - for which i thank you.

Was in film production society at Uni with Brian Blessed's nephew

Well you've certainly lived the dream, handrejka.

Yes I bet you're all jealous. Not. I've met a few slebs at celeb dinners and stuff too(Kenny Baker, Dave Prowse) but I thought Id just mention the accidental meetings

Had a few drinks with John Otway on many occassion, he bought me a pint once before a gig on the condition that I bought him a double whiskey afterwards.

A week later he asked me if I could babysit his daughter, strange girl she was.

I've met several chess masters, and played against a few in simuls, including the then world champion Kasparov.

In 1984 in London I was almost run over by Stirling Moss. No damage was done, but we had an argument anyway.

Also in London I've had several pints with Michael Jackson.

regards,

Hein

I've said it before, but I once met Chas 'n' Dave.

The skinny one was a bit of an arse B)

The skinny one was a bit of an arse  B)

Chas 'n' Dave only lived in your signiture for months. :D

As did Inar..

The skinny one was a bit of an arse  B)

Chas 'n' Dave only lived in your signiture for months. :D

As did Inar..

IYG didn't colonise my sig for as long as the rogue editor did.

I'm feeling quite nostalgic now, so for the benefit of our new members, I'm going to revert to my old sig.

Living in California, I've run into my fair share of celebrities, Rev. Jesse Jackson, Spike Lee, some people from the Survivor series, but I think my best encounter was when I was a junior high school student in Canada. It was "hot dog day" at our school, and the school was giving out free hotdogs. Some big old guy cut in front of me in line and, not knowing who it was and being a young lad at the time, I told him "Hey! You cut!"

The man just turned to me and laughed, "Haha, just tell your mother you met Charles Bronson" and he shook my hand.

My mother thought that I was lying until she read a news article about him filming a movie near my school. B)

and the school was giving out free hotdogs. Some big old guy cut in front of me in line and, not knowing who it was and being a young lad at the time, I told him "Hey! You cut!"

The man just turned to me and laughed, "Haha, just tell your mother you met Charles Bronson" and he shook my hand.

My mother thought that I was lying until she read a news article about him filming a movie near my school. B)

Very interesting story, of course if you didn't know who Charles Bronson

was then he would have lost the verbal battle twice.

Kim Wilde tripped over my daughter at Bergerac airport. What a nice lady.

I've had lunch with David Essex's daughter. Another nice lady.

I Lancashire clog danced for Prince Phillip (I think I mentioned this before somewhere) even though I've never been to Lancashire.

George Best smiled at me in the Chelsea Potter (I think he was just pleased that I didn't bother him.)

I was knocked off the pavement by Frank Bruno in Carnaby Street. I was going to lump him one but common sense got the better of me.

I was at school with Sir Clive Sinclair's son Crispin.

I have the same chimney sweep as Tony Blair, for his French house.

I had my empty glass collected by Terry Venables in a pub in Leytonstone whilst Ian St John was at the bar.

There have been various other very brief encounters involving Prince Charles, the Queen, Robert Plant, Gareth Edwards, that bloke out of the Alarm, Jacques Cousteau, Sade, Bananarama, that ginger bloke out of the Style Council, Geoff Capes, Harvey Smith (rude showjumper), Geoffrey out of Rainbow, Pierce Brosnan, Ali Osman out of Eastenders, Charlie Kray, Simon Hughes and Rod Stewart.

A DeathList Mug is winging it's way to you, SttG!

I Lancashire clog danced for Prince Phillip (I think I mentioned this before somewhere) even though I've never been to Lancashire.

Apparently it failed to work. He's still alive.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

Apparently it failed to work. He's still alive.

regards,

Hein

It was many years ago, perhaps if I had another go....

I've also remembered meeting 'Jonno' Coleman, the fat Aussie DJ, hardly a celeb,

But what stood out was that he had an attractive girl on either arm, it's an unjust world. B)

That reminds me, another hotel one... Sir John Harvey Jones. Didn't leave a tip, despite spending a fortune on cocktails. He had a gaggle of his "nieces" with him, all in their early 20s, pretty, leggy and oh-so-giggly on the vintage Krug he was splashing about. I remember being jealous at the time but, let's face it, they were all just praying for some money to fall out of his fat wallet. I seriously hope he didn't get to bed any of them, even if it was for cash. Sorry, my mistake, they were his nieces. Yes. Definitely not prostitutes. Nieces. Nieces.

I got a cuddle from Lemmy at a gig in Glasgow late 1980's.

Met Fish (ex Marillion)backstage at a music festival in Stirling in 1990.

Met Noddy Holder at a launch of his autobiography in a book shop in Glasgow 1999, he talked for a couple of hours about his life, then took questions from the audience (about 40 of us) and spoke to us all afterwards.

I'm related to the 1930's Hollywood actress Norma Shearer (she was my grandmothers cousin or 2nd cousin), obviously never met her though.