The Four Horsemen

Cricket Thread. Only Mad Dogs And Englishmen

So you have managed to provoke me into replying which was no doubt your intention, so I'll bite.

Are you sure that cricket is in fact an English game? Doesn't look much like it from where I'm standing.

Isn't it hilarious that every time the (whinging) English are losing at cricket, someone always has to mention "Bodyline" - that must have been the only English victory that anyone can remember!

Allow us out moment in the sun, professor, and try to use the sour grapes to make wine, or maybe you could simply eat them, but be careful, wouldn't want you to choke....ha!

So good to see you back Rebecca. It must be months since I last communicated with you.

The England side do look rather poor I must confess. Nevertheless, its bad timing on your part. England are on a roll having won every game since the end of January 2007. Australia, meanwhile, have lost every game in the same period - including their game with England yesterday. You're as good as the last game so they say.

Most people remember Bodyline because of the whingeing of the Aussies - apparently we bowled too fast. The English rarely bring it up as its a long time ago and we have won the Ashes many times since..... 1953, 1955, 1956,1971, 1977,1979,1981,1985, 1986 and 2005 spring to mind.

• Like 1

Now, now, Professor, let's not let the entirely stupid game get in the way of our beautiful friendship!

Having looked into the matter of what we called the "Bodyline" series of 1932/33, I note that while the English bowlers were not doing anything wrong technically, methinks that it was certainly very unsportsmanlike and also ungentlemanly to employ such underhanded tactics in order to try to unnerve the opposition - tantamount to assault if you really want my opinion. Obviously Jardine knew his team couldn't win any other way, certainly not by playing fair. And did anyone actually succeed in unnerving "The Don"? I think not...

Only 10 Ashes victories by England since 1953? Or is that all you can remember? And if that's true, then Australia must have won the rest! GO AUSSIE!!

"You're only as good as your last match"?? Sounds like a copout to me....

Anyway, we won The Ashes back this time, so there's really nothing else to say, is there???

So you have managed to provoke me into replying which was no doubt your intention, so I'll bite.

Are you sure that cricket is in fact an English game? Doesn't look much like it from where I'm standing.

Isn't it hilarious that every time the (whinging) English are losing at cricket, someone always has to mention "Bodyline" - that must have been the only English victory that anyone can remember!

Allow us out moment in the sun, professor, and try to use the sour grapes to make wine, or maybe you could simply eat them, but be careful, wouldn't want you to choke....ha!

Normally we resort to Botham at Headingley, cricket isn't what it used to be. The English cricket team is like a whore with no genitalia, they just suck.

I'm guessing you're not English, or if you are, you are a tad disillusioned with your team?

Anyway, we won The Ashes back this time, so there's really nothing else to say, is there???

Yes, just one thing.

WHITEWASH!!!

Now, now, Professor, let's not let the entirely stupid game get in the way of our beautiful friendship!

Having looked into the matter of what we called the "Bodyline" series of 1932/33, I note that while the English bowlers were not doing anything wrong technically, methinks that it was certainly very unsportsmanlike and also ungentlemanly to employ such underhanded tactics in order to try to unnerve the opposition - tantamount to assault if you really want my opinion. Obviously Jardine knew his team couldn't win any other way, certainly not by playing fair. And did anyone actually succeed in unnerving "The Don"? I think not...

Only 10 Ashes victories by England since 1953? Or is that all you can remember? And if that's true, then Australia must have won the rest! GO AUSSIE!!

Yep, RdW, the Aussies won the other 15 Ashes series. SAnd they're back to form having just stuffed the All Blacks at the MCG today.

To be honest they have the best bat in the world in Ponting and could, probably, put out three totally different world class batting line-ups. The World Cup is coming up and its difficult to see Oz losing. An outside bet might be South Africe (providing they don't choke again). Watching England has become so depressing that I'm planning to go to Barbados in 2008 to watch the Australians play. Needless to say I'm in the market for some green and yellow accessories.

Anyway, why are you talking cricket when your role on DL is to wind up the female members.

Guest Guest
See Joke thread last post Captain Oates Feb 1st 2007. Here endeth the lesson....

And here am I thinking I was safely hidden behind your "ingore" button!

See Joke thread last post Captain Oates Feb 1st 2007. Here endeth the lesson....

And here am I thinking I was safely hidden behind your "ignore" button!

(sorry, mods! ...ingore?)

And here am I thinking I was safely hidden behind your "ignore" button!

(sorry, mods! ...ingore?)

I thought it was a good joke, besides, I don't hold grudges, well not unless the perp continues to offend. I don't have anyone on ignore actually....surprise!

Yep, RdW, the Aussies won the other 15 Ashes series. SAnd they're back to form having just stuffed the All Blacks at the MCG today.

To be honest they have the best bat in the world in Ponting and could, probably, put out three totally different world class batting line-ups. The World Cup is coming up and its difficult to see Oz losing. An outside bet might be South Africe (providing they don't choke again). Watching England has become so depressing that I'm planning to go to Barbados in 2008 to watch the Australians play. Needless to say I'm in the market for some green and yellow accessories.

Anyway, why are you talking cricket when your role on DL is to wind up the female members.

It never ceases to amaze me how fast you English people throw in the towel and give up! Ever heard the expression "Never Give Up, Never Surrender!" ??? You can't stop supporting your team just because they might be having a bad hair day!

That having been said, it is nice of you to acknowledge the talent of our Aussie cricketers - we do have some true greats; I think Michael Hussey is my favourite - my parents were lucky enough to see Sir Donald Bradman play at the MCG once back in the Dark Ages...

Sport is something of a religion in this country - it takes precedence over practically everything else, certainly it makes headlines constantly and is often the lead story on the television news services.

Now you're trying to wind me up or get me in trouble again, aren't you, you naughty boy?

Everyone knows why I joined DL, certainly not for the reason you mentioned. As to the reason I am (sort of) talking about cricket - it seems that the cricket thread may be the only place where I am relatively "safe" from the long nails of the Angry Pussy Brigade, although if they read this, the fur may start flying once more...

how the f**k did we win that.. flintoff looked embarrassed to take the trophy!

Excuse me RM, England won. It means that England are better than Australia at one-day cricket - official. If you are English you are supposed to cheer and say "well done" as other nationals do when their sporting sides win.

[

It never ceases to amaze me how fast you English people throw in the towel and give up! Ever heard the expression "Never Give Up, Never Surrender!" ??? You can't stop supporting your team just because they might be having a bad hair day!

Your little pep talk certainly hit the spot, Rebecca. As soon as I received it I rang the boys to rouse them with a pithy Churchillian call to arms. The results are now in the annals of history. Nevertheless, today I still confirmed my booking of a friend's apartment in Barbados for the Aus v. W Indies game next year. Go Aussie........

....... the moderators are watching so, uhhhh, I fancy that Jack Hobbs might snuff it next year.

Atta boy, Pook!!

I see it worked and some congratulations are in order!

Good job!

Since I can't be in Barbados, I'll have to rely on you to do the cheering for the Aussies...

And remember, "always follow your dreams", and, "be strong in a world that's weak", wise words from the great Kevin Sorbo to my son and I - words to live by.....sorry, got a bit carried away by the moment...cricket does that to me.....

Guest Guest
Atta boy, Pook!!

I see it worked and some congratulations are in order!

Good job!

Since I can't be in Barbados, I'll have to rely on you to do the cheering for the Aussies...

And remember, "always follow your dreams", and, "be strong in a world that's weak", wise words from the great Kevin Sorbo to my son and I - words to live by.....sorry, got a bit carried away by the moment...cricket does that to me.....

Ahhhh.... Kevin Sorbo. So true, yet so trite.

Hurrah for the Cricket.

Can't help feeling though, that it's a bit like the fat kid with the flat head winning the bean-bag race at sports day, after having come spectactularly last in all the proper races.

Excuse me RM, England won. It means that England are better than Australia at one-day cricket - official. If you are English you are supposed to cheer and say "well done" as other nationals do when their sporting sides win.

Hurrah for the Cricket.

Can't help feeling though, that it's a bit like the fat kid with the flat head winning the bean-bag race at sports day, after having come spectactularly last in all the proper races.

Well it would be if the fat kid won the bean bag race three times on the bounce! :(

Forgotten your name?

So has everyone else....

Ms. Rebecca de Winter, how you remind me of someone.

That's "MRS" de Winter - I heartily dislike the diminutive of "MS"....what took you soooo long - Lady Clarissa died some time ago but I guess you didn't notice, but, yeah it's still me....

i know they won, Godot. i just asked how the f**k DID we win it, when Australia are far superior. Anyway, i did cheer. a little bit.

i know they won, Godot. i just asked how the f**k DID we win it, when Australia are far superior. Anyway, i did cheer. a little bit.

No RM, the Ossies are not superior. It's a bit like saying the Germans were superior in WW II. The Ossies WERE superior. Note the past tense. But the FACT is that the England cricket team has beaten the Australian cricket team on their last three meetings, one game after another. How did England win? Because they were the best side. This is not fiction. It really happened. Ask an Australian.

No RM, the Ossies are not superior. It's a bit like saying the Germans were superior in WW II. The Ossies WERE superior. Note the past tense. But the FACT is that the England cricket team has beaten the Australian cricket team on their last three meetings, one game after another. How did England win? Because they were the best side. This is not fiction. It really happened. Ask an Australian.

Just as well Pieterson wasn't fit. We like to win but we have no wish to humiliate the Aussies.