The Four Horsemen

Cricket Thread. Only Mad Dogs And Englishmen

I will now confirm that all Aussies are to be constantly mocked for the next two years. Not only did we beat them in the Rugby world cup final, we have now wrested the Ashes back from their grasp. Clearly, they are losing their aura of sporting invincibility and we are once again their masters. And it's payback time for all the "arrogant Pommie" comments and such.

:rip:  :lol:  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Maybe if England wins the next nine on the trot your argument would have some merit. Be sure to let me know when they do.

and we are once again their masters

I wasn't under the impression that for the last decade and a half Australia was considered to be England's "master" and that the balance has now shifted the other way. Or is that just your personal opinion of how things were? ;)

And as for Rugby, well, I'm moving to New Zealand before the next world cup, because it's going to be theirs next time.

• Like 1

I was there! Great day to be an England supporter, just a little bit of tension in the afternoon when it looked as if Australia would be chasing a target. But Pietersen and Giles put on a big stand to calm our nerves. The day was marred only by half an hour of arsing around when we didn't know (and weren't told) whether Australia were going to bat or not. During this time several inebriated yobs (the new brand of cricket fan? :rip: ) took in on themselves to run onto the playing area where they were rugby-tackled by stewards, hand-cuffed, and presumably taken off to the cop shop. Well it gave us something to watch while we were waiting for something to happen.

And, don't forget, we're doing it all again Down Under in 15 months! :lol:

Well that's over , thank god - don't think I could have stood another match like these ones have been!

Best of all, I'm going to Oz iin a few weeks to be best man at a mate's wedding. Won't mention the cricket...or rugby... in the speech. Of course not. Much.

Muahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Maybe if England wins the next nine on the trot your argument would have some merit. Be sure to let me know when they do.

I wasn't under the impression that for the last decade and a half Australia was considered to be England's "master" and that the balance has now shifted the other way. Or is that just your personal opinion of how things were?

And as for Rugby, well, I'm moving to New Zealand before the next world cup, because it's going to be theirs next time.

Honez - one issue is that for many Brits the only Australians they meet are the ones you guys ship over to London. Fair play that it's payback for the convicts that were sent your way 150 years or so ago, but you don't get much wit from the typical blokes that come stumbling out of various "Walkabout" pubs and then blare to their mates on the tube about how many tins of Fosters they've had. And the women! I was in Sydney once and a favourite activity was just walking around awarding (mentally) scores out of ten to 'em all. Yet in almost fifteen years of living in London I can honestly say I have never met, or even seen, a good-looking or charming woman I knew to be Australian.

And I wouldn't move across the Tasman Sea just yet. We all know the Kiwis always peak in the years between World Cups.

Must dash off to Trafalgar Square to cheer on KP, G. Jones, Strauss and the rest of the all-England through and through heroes.

Sorry to buck the trend but I think cricket is S**t. It's slightly more interesting than tennis but a long way from the giddy thrill of watching paint dry...

Bring back the games in the Colosseum, I say... or something like this.

Just back from the parade in EC2. I'd like to report that Freddie Flintoff was looking peaky. Surely one to watch or maybe he had something to celebrate last night.

Well done boys, I suppose that is the end of the cricket chat for this year.

:rip:

Sorry to buck the trend but I think cricket is S**t. It's slightly more interesting than tennis but a long way from the giddy thrill of watching paint dry...

Well, that's fine, go watch something else then. But aren't you feeling just a little left out today?

Anyway, I think we should keep it going for a while, just to mystify the Americans, and Hein. :rip:

I'm getting fed up of this bloody parade. Why show it on BBC Scotland - we couldn't give two sh*ts (perhaps one). I'm likely going to be in a very bad mood on the 1st of January now.

I will now confirm that all Aussies are to be constantly mocked for the next two years. Not only did we beat them in the Rugby world cup final, we have now wrested the Ashes back from their grasp. Clearly, they are losing their aura of sporting invincibility and we are once again their masters. And it's payback time for all the "arrogant Pommie" comments and such.

:lol:  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  ;)

and we are once again their masters

I wasn't under the impression that for the last decade and a half Australia was considered to be England's "master" and that the balance has now shifted the other way. Or is that just your personal opinion of how things were? ;)

Remind me when Wales last won anything of consequence. :rip:

Remind me when Wales last won anything of consequence. 

I think I recall a small matter of the Grand Slam earlier this year when England were HUMILIATED by the boyos!!!!!!

However, I proudly put on my England hat for cricket (I'm about 50/50 Welsh/English) since there's not much fun in suppporting the Welsh cricket team (is there one? Glamorgan?)

I saw the bus leaving Mansion House with all the guys on board - fantastic roar when Vaughny got on the roof with (the astoundingly pregnant) Mrs V. Bigger cheer when Pietersen lifted a huge half-drunk jug of beer - and biggest shout of all when Freddie got on looking horribly ill. I think everyone was wondering if he was going to toss his biscuits down the front of the bus....

Great, great occasion - good luck to them!

Presumably I was somewhere near you, I see dead people?

However, I proudly put on my England hat for cricket (I'm about 50/50 Welsh/English) since there's not much fun in suppporting the Welsh cricket team (is there one? Glamorgan?)people?

You're OK there Sir, it's the England and Wales team that have recently won the Ashes. Scotland and Ireland (Eire and N.Ireland combined) have their own not as good sides, although Ireland beat the West Indies some time back I remember.

We all know the Kiwis always peak in the years between World Cups.

Maybe so Ronnie, the Kiwis (All Blacks more correctly, the Kiwis are the Rugby League team) have never lost to England at the World Cup and have a just under 75% winning record against them.

And the women! I was in Sydney once and a favourite activity was just walking around awarding (mentally) scores out of ten to 'em all. Yet in almost fifteen years of living in London I can honestly say I have never met, or even seen, a good-looking or charming woman I knew to be Australian.

So you're better at cricket because their women are ugly? That explains it, this woman

Helen_Clark.jpg

has got to be voted out this weekend, then we'll win the Ashes too.

You're OK there Sir, it's the England and Wales team that have recently won the Ashes. Scotland and Ireland (Eire and N.Ireland combined) have their own not as good sides, although Ireland beat the West Indies some time back I remember.

Well, I never knew that before. I feel happier for having that cleared up and will remain unpollutedly Welsh in my sporting affiliations herafter...

Maybe so Ronnie, the Kiwis (All Blacks more correctly, the Kiwis are the Rugby League team) have never lost to England at the World Cup and have a just under 75% winning record against them.

So you're better at cricket because their women are ugly?

G5K - I always wondered at the arrogance of New Zealand calling themselves Kiwis generally, All Blacks when they play rugby, and the Black Caps at cricket. As for "all blacks", as far as I can tell other than the odd Fijian or Samoan they're pretty much all whiteys. And what is up with the haka? The last version I saw they appeared to end it with a throat slashing gesture, presumably aimed at their opponents. But if the oppo dare to do anything in response it's considered some type of disrespect. Were I the coach of the Aussies, Saffers or whomever, I'd have my team reading newspapers while the haka goes on.

And overall Aussie women are cuter than British women, they just keep all their babes down under. Bah!

Were I the coach of the Aussies, Saffers or whomever, I'd have my team reading newspapers while the haka goes on.

DWB ;)

ps Nice Avatar Ronnie - very touching!

Well, I never knew that before. I feel happier for having that cleared up and will remain unpollutedly Welsh in my sporting affiliations herafter...

Simon Jones, England (and Wales') suprise success of the series could be observed 'Doing the Ayatollah' after taking a wicket. This is a celebration started by Cardiff City fans in reference to the mourners at the funeral of Ayatollah Khomeni, and involves slapping ones' head with both hands.

None more Welsh than that...

Simon Jones, England (and Wales') suprise success of the series could be observed 'Doing the Ayatollah' after taking a wicket. This is a celebration started by Cardiff City fans in reference to the mourners at the funeral of Ayatollah Khomeni, and involves slapping ones' head with both hands.

None more Welsh than that...

You're just a fund of useful Welsh sporting trivia aren't you, old chap? You'l be telling me you know Gavin's mobile number next...the Missus has offered sexual favours if i can find out what it is....

You're just a fund of useful Welsh sporting trivia aren't you, old chap?

Comes from having a Grandfather whose accent veered from impenetrable full-on Taff when Wales were winning at rugby to gentle lilt when England were playing cricket.

G5K - I always wondered at the arrogance of New Zealand calling themselves Kiwis generally, All Blacks when they play rugby, and the Black Caps at cricket.

Surely the best NZ team name has to be the "Tall Blacks" for their basketball team.

G5K - I always wondered at the arrogance of New Zealand calling themselves Kiwis generally, All Blacks when they play rugby, and the Black Caps at cricket.

Surely the best NZ team name has to be the "Tall Blacks" for their basketball team.

No that title would go to the badminton team. Have a guess.

I always wondered at the arrogance of New Zealand calling themselves Kiwis generally, All Blacks when they play rugby, and the Black Caps at cricket.

Sadly, the place is being run more and more by marketing graduates, everything's got to have a snappy name or somesuch that makes it more marketable. A phenomenon not peculiar to here.

And what is up with the haka? The last version I saw they appeared to end it with a throat slashing gesture, presumably aimed at their opponents.

Yes it is aimed at the opponents, would you rather they did knitting actions? Although I'm not a huge fan of the haka, that too has become a victim of the marketeers, and is now more marketable. Once upon a time it was only done on tour after the anthems and now it's a huge performance every bloody time. It's meant to be a challenge and is used to get the blood up. To put it into a familiar context for you, they're at the football (soccer or as some say in Australia, Wog ball), they're singing and pointing at the home fans 'you're going home in a wooden overcoat'. It's a big deal to a lot of people, I however am not one of them.

Not quite cricket, but it'll do.

Cobber.

doqepu.jpg

Interesting how many people on DL appear to follow the greatest sport in the world. Don't think you would get as many replies in a forum devoted to football.

Probably because the activities are similar - hours and days of patience, study and speculation followed by occasional spasms of excitement when another one is "out"

:lol:

• Like 1