The Unknown Man

The Dead Of 2012

By coincidence I'm currently playing an album from 1969...

Just noticed Paul B is on 4999 posts, so his 5000th will be on a biggie. Fitting.

Well, his name will be immortal. Only one man can be the first to walk on the moon.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ overshadowed by PA reports on Neil Armstrong.............

Yeah, various media org's tweeting it now

There's your Big Death of the Year. Sad news

Really sad news. How amazing to walk on the moon at all, let alone be the first. And that I was only six weeks old when Man last stepped foot there is such a shame, and shameful.

A true pioneer, legend, hero. RIP.

While Armstrong's name will be remembered for a long, long time, I'm not sure it's this year's big death. Well, in my opinion it is but at least when it comes to the end of the year round-ups I suspect Whitney Houston will get more minutes/column inches. Unfortunately.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ overshadowed by PA reports on Neil Armstrong.............

Yeah, various media org's tweeting it now

There's your Big Death of the Year. Sad news

Really sad news. How amazing to walk on the moon at all, let alone be the first. And that I was only six weeks old when Man last stepped foot there is such a shame, and shameful.

A true pioneer, legend, hero. RIP.

While Armstrong's name will be remembered for a long, long time, I'm not sure it's this year's big death. Well, in my opinion it is but at least when it comes to the end of the year round-ups I suspect Whitney Houston will get more minutes/column inches. Unfortunately.

In the pages of Heat perhaps

Aye, I'd second that, biggest death of the year so far IMHO, and the end of year compilations may well devote more time to it than others. Apart from anything else, we'll have a few sports stars, pop stars and the like but only one first man on the moon to consider. Obama would have to get shot, or summat, to top it.

The biggest death of the year...and that's why the British Royal Family decided to kill him off.

They can do that y'know...

Aye, I'd second that, biggest death of the year so far IMHO, and the end of year compilations may well devote more time to it than others. Apart from anything else, we'll have a few sports stars, pop stars and the like but only one first man on the moon to consider. Obama would have to get shot, or summat, to top it.

Agreed. I'm just comparing the news coverage so far - Whitney's death was wall to wall for over 24 hours, Armstrong's death the main headline news but not the only thing happening in the world. Of course, Whitney's death was more surprising (well, that's debatable but anyway...) and was an unnatural death and so ripe for endless speculation, whereas Armstrong's demise is a natural one - an old man dies following complications of heart surgery.

I'm wondering who could possibly top Neil Armstrong as the year's biggest death, barring unnatural demises. The Queen is probably the only person; Paul McCartney at a push. Even Thatcher and Mandela pale into insignificance in my opinion.

Agreed. I'm just comparing the news coverage so far - Whitney's death was wall to wall for over 24 hours, Armstrong's death the main headline news but not the only thing happening in the world. Of course, Whitney's death was more surprising (well, that's debatable but anyway...) and was an unnatural death and so ripe for endless speculation, whereas Armstrong's demise is a natural one - an old man dies following complications of heart surgery.

I'm wondering who could possibly top Neil Armstrong as the year's biggest death, barring unnatural demises. The Queen is probably the only person; Paul McCartney at a push. Even Thatcher and Mandela pale into insignificance in my opinion.

Mandela would be as big, if not bigger

Mandela's death (and Thatcher's) would be treated as if it were bigger (I'm sure the Guardian would live-blog both), but I think Armstrong is more significant. The Moon landing is iconic. "One small step..." is one of the most famous quotes in history. It would have to be someone extremely famous getting murdered, like Obama (as already mentioned) or Madonna, to top it

Guest Guest

Either Mandela or Thatcher wil die this year. Who goes? You decide...

Either Mandela or Thatcher wil die this year. Who goes? You decide...

Sounds like the premise for a gameshow

Guest Alison66

This is big news - Thatcher's death shouldn't top it -

Did she venture anywhere with only 50% chance of coming out alive

Falklands War? I mean politically speaking of course...

Grand Hotel,Brighton...

• Like 1

Grand Hotel,Brighton...

Now you're talking. I forgot about that...

For her nowadays going to sleep

• Like 2

Guest Alison66

Neil Armstrong is the more famous

As kids in the 1970s everyone wanted to be Neil Armstrong -

Did anyone want to be Thatcher :) -

I dare say a lot of precocious middle class schoolgirls did

Wonder no more! The biggesst death this year (if it happens) will be that of Pete's brother Andrew Andre, celeb magazine to magazine coverage for weeks and weeks, all the other 2012 deaths will pale into insignificance under the weight of the Andre family media machine with the helpof Max Clifford.

Apart from Edwina Curry?

Apart from Edwina Curry?

Thatcher was a three-term warmongerer, who ignored a declining industrial base in favour of the City of London, so Tony Blair wanted to be like Thatcher. And David Cameron...

Sergei Sokolov, former Minister of Defense for the USSR and commander of the ground troops during the Invasion of Afghanistan, has died at the ripe old age of 101.

No English obits yet, but he is a unique pick by theme team Twenty Tons of Fun? on the DDP.

Guest Guest

Sergei Sokolov, former Minister of Defense for the USSR and commander of the ground troops during the Invasion of Afghanistan, has died at the ripe old age of 101.

No English obits yet, but he is a unique pick by theme team Twenty Tons of Fun? on the DDP.

here is an english obit. http://www.huffingto...-obits-sokolov/ Surely he m ust be the oldest former cabinet minister in the world!