BrunoBrimley

Hillary Clinton

Happy one day late birthday to president Hillary Clinton (I'm making a big assumption here).

EDIT: Ooh. My 666 post. Maybe this is evidence that she's the devil :o

• Like 1

Happy one day late birthday to president Hillary Clinton (I'm making a big assumption here).

EDIT: Ooh. My 666 post. Maybe this is evidence that she's the devil :o

or it could have meant bad luck for her... :unsure:

Now that Hillary has lost the election for president, the question is, what is she going to do now.

Yes I can confirm after tonight that Hillary Clinton will be the next President of the USA. Let's just get it over with

Oh how wrong you were.

Now that Hillary has lost the election for president, the question is, what is she going to do now.

Was wondering that earlier.My best guess would be that she disappears from public view for 6 months then releases a memoir before taking a big job outside of politics but one that keeps her firmly in the public eye.I cant see her just sitting home with the grandkids.

Bill Clinton to die in the next 3 or 4 years. He looks like a skeleton as it is!

Was wondering that earlier.My best guess would be that she disappears from public view for 6 months then releases a memoir before taking a big job outside of politics but one that keeps her firmly in the public eye.I cant see her just sitting home with the grandkids.

Yeah, my thoughts entirely

No.

There is a precedent for the loser of the Electoral College (and the popular vote!) winning the Presidency, but that was in 1824, when Clay voted in Quincy Adams over Jackson. For some reason, I can't see Paul Ryan doing the same!

No.

There is a precedent for the loser of the Electoral College (and the popular vote!) winning the Presidency, but that was in 1824, when Clay voted in Quincy Adams over Jackson. For some reason, I can't see Paul Ryan doing the same!

Agreeing with that but...

In this case it would probably be smart not to challenge because it's discrepancies in three states all of which she'd need. If she storms in now claiming that evidence she tips the whole mess over again and allows the most rabid Trump supporters to turn on her.

Perhaps a better strategy for her party (though ironically one that failed when Al Gore "lost") would be to let president Trump struggle to rule a totally divided country, make elementary mistakes because of his arrogance and lack of experience in public office; and then make the evidence public. At which point the country is near enough obliged to get the electoral system under control and that happens when a Republican president is hopelessly unpopular, near enough ensuring the Democrat (anyone but Hillary) standing next time becomes president

• Like 3

A smart strategy would have been for the Democrats to actually campaign in Wisconsin, but the horse is out of the stable on that one now!

They may try your theory out, but I am reminded that they tried it in 2000-04, and then ran John Kerry for the Presidency. That the 2004 election was so close, I can't decide if it shows up Bush or Kerry more...

Seemingly in recent history, whenever the Democrats try to crown someone (Hilary, Gore), they lose. Whenever they run a shit candidate (Dukakis, Kerry), they lose. When they go with the flow and let some unheralded person build momentum in the primaries (Bill C, Obama, even Carter), they win. I'm going to guess the next Democratic US President will be someone most of us non-Americans haven't even heard of right now.

• Like 3

I'm going to guess the next Democratic US President will be someone most of us non-Americans haven't even heard of right now.

Eric Garcetti is worth a cheeky tenner.

The person will probably be Tulsi Gabbard. If trump pulls back on all of his promises then his approval rating will be even lower than George bush jnr. People will want a hardcore progressive like her. If Bernie ran she would have been his vice president so if you like bernie you're going to like her. Basically my moneys on her.

• Like 1

No.

And even then, the "winner" of the Electoral College had only won a plurality (and not the majority) of electoral votes, unlike Trump, who clearly won fair and square. It's not even as close as Gore's case was in Florida. By the way, in this situation, Ryan or the House of Representatives could not crown anyone since there'd be no contingent election. Since only Hillary or Trump won electoral votes, one of them would surely be declared a winner without Ryan's assistance (a 269:269 draw, while theoretically possible, would necessitate altered results in more than the three battleground states they talk about).

When Hillary was the first to congratulate Trump I thought she would gracefully and quickly give it up, even if she won the popular vote, there's basically no chance that she'd win, even after a recount (which would then just waste the tax payers' money). Would you pay millions of dollars just so Hillary could sleep better ("rest assured") knowing that Donald Trump really did win the elections?

The best tactic for the Democrats is to let Trump tear the Republican party apart. They can support him for two years on job creation for the white working class, take control of the Senate and then turn against him after that, in the run-up to the next election.

Democrats can't win the Senate in 2018 - they need a swing of 5 seat, and only 8 Republican seats are up for grabs then. Wyoming, Utah, Texas, Tennessee, Nevada, Nebraska, Mississippi and Arizona. That's not going to happen.

Whereas, without looking into great detail, the Dems look in trouble in Ohio, West Virginia and Indiana, the seats which are up in 2018 they already hold. When you're in this position, you don't want a midterm where you own 24 of the 33 seats up for grabs. And if they do as badly as they tend to in mid-terms then, then we're looking at Republican control of the Senate till beyond 2020.

Yep, Zsa Zsa Gabor may even die one day.

Sorry, I've taken the conversation into the sphere of pure fantasy...

• Like 1

Amazing really what people will throw their money at. Hillary has accepted the result like Gore did. A lot of good the moral high ground did for him. Democrats need to play it better this time.
  • Like 1