Octopus of Odstock

FIFA World Cup Players

Guest Atilla

Deaths of those in Recent World Cup's:

2006: 2; Tchangai (Togo), Benitez (Ecuador)

2002; 3; Lekgetho (South Africa), Matsuda (Japan), Foe (Cameroon)

1998: 6; Cargill, Malcolm (Jamaica), Cornejo (Chile), Yekini & Okafor (Nigeria), Khiliawi (Saudi Arabia)

1994; 7 Escobar and Gaviria (Colombia), Castillo (Bolivia), Foe (Cameroon), Mfede (Cameroon - also died this last week), Yekini (Nigeria), Khilawi (Saudi)

1990; 5; Klein (Romania), Escobar (Colombia), Glatzmeyer (Austria), Clijsters (Belgium), Mfede (Cameroon)

1986: 12; Cooper (Scotland), Hakim (Iraq), Bento, Damas and Antonio (Portugal), Scirea (Italy), Eriksen (Denmark), Clijsters (Belgium), Cuciuffo (Argentina), Socrates (Brazil), McDonald (N.Ireland), Smolarek (Poland)

1982: 14; Juanito (Spain), Daraselia (USSR), Drummond (Honduras), Dirceu (Brazil), Brotherston (N.Ireland), Scirea (Italy), Coeck (Belgium), Socrates (Brazil), Smolarek (Poland), Abega (Cameroon), Susloparev (USSR), Shengelia (USSR), Vojacek (Czechoslovakia), Santamaria (Argentina)

1978; 21; Torok, Kocsis and Peicani (Hungary), Pepi (France), Toninho, Dirceu, Mendoca and Chicao (Brazil), Pezzey and Happich (Austria), R Rojas (Peru), Nejazi (Iran), Scirea (Italy), Russmann (Germany), Akid (Tunisia), Juanito and Migueli (Spain), Deyna and Mazur (Poland), Flores (Mexico), Flohe (W.Germany)

Peicani is the name of a village in Romania, but the late member of the Hungarian national team was called Pusztai (I'm pretty sure Peicani is just a horrible misspelling). Luckily, most of these players were/are alcoholics (no wonder they went home without a win) so the others are expected to follow them pretty soon.

Andriy Bal at 56.

Scored v Brazil in 82

http://news.rin.ru/eng/news///51685/

• Like 1

That's four of the Soviets of 1982 dead already.

I know it's over 30 years now and it does, especially recently, look really dated in a way the 1990 World Cup doesn't so much, but you still don't expect so many of one team to be dead before they get to 60.

I know it's over 30 years now and it does, especially recently, look really dated in a way the 1990 World Cup doesn't so much, but you still don't expect so many of one team to be dead before they get to 60.

Died at the same age as Socrates who equalised his goal I think............

Died at the same age as Socrates who equalised his goal I think............

Dear god. Who gives a jetpacking fuck?

You make baby Jesus cry with such an utterly unhinged level of obsessive statto shite. By comparison it makes me want to hang out with the people who frequent F1 Fanatic's live blogs.........

..........during Friday morning practice sessions.

Twat.

Who is the twat here?

Don't you realise that Footballers are as important to a Death Pool as singers, film stars, politicians, paedophiles etc.

it is an important part of peoples lives, so just because you don't like football, or what surrounds it, don't take the moral high ground.

Get a life.

• Like 4

The great, Vlad Beara, has died at 85.

Played in all the 50's WC's.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/08/11/vladimir-beara-one-soccer-greatest-goalkeepers-and-star-for-yugoslavia-dies-at/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fsports+(Internal+-+Sports+-+Mixed)

Coincidentally, that is the same age as all the other people that died aged 85.

• Like 1

Javier Guzman at 69.

Started the rot v Italy when scoring the own goal in 1970.

Javier Guzman at 69.

Started the rot v Italy when scoring the own goal in 1970.

Two games previous for him and the first ever yellow card in the World Cup History was issued to the Russians whilst he was on the pitch.

The ref that issued it died the day before Guzman. Kurt Tschenscher.

As you will all be aware, he reffed Lisbon that day in '67.

respects.gif

Milan Galić at 76, starred for the Slavs in '62.

Plenty of obits, just not in En@lish.

Guest Mauricio

Deaths that i saw that don´t stay in the list

1990 : Vodone (usa), Ze Carlos(Brasil)

1986: Edevaldo(Brasil)

Guest Guest

1994: Oscar Sanchez(Bolivia)

1986: Edevaldo(Brasil) ? dead?

Twitter and various articles in Cyrillic seem to be indicating that 2006 Ukraine squad member Andriy Gusin/Husin has died in a bike accident

Twitter and various articles in Cyrillic seem to be indicating that 2006 Ukraine squad member Andriy Gusin/Husin has died in a bike accident

Hit by a tree?

regards,

Hein

Hit by a tree?

regards,

Hein

Planted by the Taliban ................(old Provo/Marc Bolan gag........)

Carmelo Simeone: not Diego's dad, didn't actually play in the WC but was on the bench for all Argentina's 1966 games, including the light-hearted celebration of sportsmanship againt England in the quarters, dead at 80.

As is their 74 midfielder, Roberto Telch at 70.

Klas Ingesson, played for Sweden in 1990 and 1994 as well as being a big part of that pretty handy Bologna side of the late 90s (and the slightly less-impressive Sheffield Wednesday 1995 squad) dead at 46.

Thanks Mauricio.

I haven't included these in the "recent World Cup deaths" list as they didn't actually play - same for the chap - I can't think of his name, who was the reserve keeper for Costa Rica in 2006, who is also no longer with us

Will update, however, for the sad news re. Ingesson tonight.

• Like 1

Guest LameGuestDude

Hey, I know I'm a guest and people here mostly hate guests, but I found some WC 1938 players(possibly unused subs, or just non-playing people called up) who have only got dates of birth, and I haven't found any reports that they're dead. Could anyone do more research, because I don't know where to check reliably?

Here they are:

1. Sutan Anwar(Dutch East Indies), born 21 March 1914

2. Tan Hong Djien(Dutch East Indies), born 12 January 1916

3. Curt Bergsten(Sweden), born 21 August 1915

4. Czeslaw/Martin 'Cesar' Povolny(France), born 19 July 1914

Hey, I know I'm a guest and people here mostly hate guests, but I found some WC 1938 players(possibly unused subs, or just non-playing people called up) who have only got dates of birth, and I haven't found any reports that they're dead. Could anyone do more research, because I don't know where to check reliably?

Here they are:

1. Sutan Anwar(Dutch East Indies), born 21 March 1914

2. Tan Hong Djien(Dutch East Indies), born 12 January 1916

3. Curt Bergsten(Sweden), born 21 August 1915

4. Czeslaw/Martin 'Cesar' Povolny(France), born 19 July 1914

Google might be a good start. Let me know how you get on.