Octopus of Odstock

FIFA World Cup Players

Hey, I know I'm a guest and people here mostly hate guests, but I found some WC 1938 players(possibly unused subs, or just non-playing people called up) who have only got dates of birth, and I haven't found any reports that they're dead. Could anyone do more research, because I don't know where to check reliably?

Here they are:

1. Sutan Anwar(Dutch East Indies), born 21 March 1914

2. Tan Hong Djien(Dutch East Indies), born 12 January 1916

3. Curt Bergsten(Sweden), born 21 August 1915

4. Czeslaw/Martin 'Cesar' Povolny(France), born 19 July 1914

Hi. The oldest living Curt Bergsten in Sweden is born in 1933. So number 3 is not alive anymore.
  • Like 1

The first player ever to be subbed at a world cup, victor serebryanikov, dead at 74.

Guest LameGuestDude

Some updates on what I found:

1. Sutan Anwar- I found multiple reports saying that he's actually still alive: "Yes, according to our best knowledge, Sutan Anwar is still alive. And no, we are not aware of any death rumors. However, we don't know much about Sutan Anwar's health situation." from "vipfaq.com" and "Yes, Sutan Anwar is still alive." from "howold.com". However, he's Indonesian. Nobody knows for sure, and there's a high possibility that he's dead.

2. Tan Hong Djien- The exact same two websites were again the most secure results, and both say that he's alive too. He isn't 100 yet, so there's a bigger chance that he's alive that the chance for Anwar.

3. Curt Bergsten- He's dead. Thanks for the info, Predictor!

4. Cesar Povolny- Couldn't find anything about him. Probably dead then.

Guest Maurício

Please is anybody know about the dutch east island´s goalkeeper Tan "Bing" Mo Heng?I m very curious about if he´s alive or not.Of course there is a big possibility that he is dead but i always looking for information and i d never found...anybody knows?And if he s dead anybody know when was he dead?

Please is anybody know about the dutch east island´s goalkeeper Tan "Bing" Mo Heng?I m very curious about if he´s alive or not.Of course there is a big possibility that he is dead but i always looking for information and i d never found...anybody knows?And if he s dead anybody know when was he dead?

I did a Google search on him and found nothing like a death notice. His trail goes cold in the 1950s. It's possible he's still alive aged 101, but that's very unlikely. I can only suggest an enquiry at the Football Association of Indonesia, although I doubt they can be of assistence, considering that their website is currently offline.

Strange coincidence: Indonesia are currently ranked 159 on the FIFA ranking, just after Curaçao, a caribbian nation still part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

regards,

Hein

Happy bday to Alcides Ghiggia, the oldest living World Cup winner.

And by the looks of it, the only suriving player from the 1950 World Cup Final

Mexico's Javier Fragoso at 72, played in '66+'70.

Wilfred Agbonavbare, Nigeria's backup goalkeeper in the 1994 WC, dead at 48.

Aren't you even gonna post the cause of death? In his case it was cancer. Which in a 48-year-old man is probably a more notable thing than his extreme World Cup footnote status.

Maybe I can try this one from another angle too - perhaps it makes you look slightly racist to report an African chappie has died aged 48 without listing the cause of death. As though, y'know, we're not supposed to be surprised or something?

Lol, you don't even like footie dr, iimr.

Lol, you don't even like footie dr, iimr.

Well I do like old-style footy. i.e. pre-squillionaire days

I just felt, y'know, since the world's going all 1930s at the moment I'd stroll into the cultural ghetto that is this thread and give some of its inhabitants a deserved slap-around just for a bit of fun.

(p.s. I'm very anti-anti-semitism, just sayin that as a convenient metaphor...)

Halibuts are anti anti Semitic.....

Me no follow thought of train Dr.

• Like 1

Halibuts are anti anti Semitic.....

Me no follow thought of train Dr.

If only they were as "pro-false-and-asinine-pedantry" .......as they are "anti-anti-semitic"........

Alberto Cardaccio dead at 65 in a car smash.

Fleeting glimpse during the '74 WC for Uruguay.

http://www.racingclub.com.ar/club/nota/2015/01/3747_racing-lamenta-el-fallecimiento-de-alberto-cardaccio/

Frank Borghi - goalkeeper for the U.S. team that beat England 1-0 in the 1950 World Cup has died at the age of 89

Karl Eric Palmer dead at 85 according to soccerdatabase.

Scored 3 for Sweden in '50.

Karl Eric Palmer dead at 85 according to soccerdatabase.

Scored 3 for Sweden in '50.

Swedish obit

Not really belonging in here, but it was only when I read about his death that I thought, bugger it. So so close to changing WC history, and I never even knew they had a national football team.

Horst Borcherding dead at 83. Who did he play for?

Saarland. The post WW2 Protectorate actually had a team, and they played in the '54 qualifiers.

And if they had won their last home game v West Germany, they and not the Heroes of Berne would have progressed to Switzerland, and the Germans may not have become the machine they did.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saarland_national_football_team

• Like 1

Pele has been in pretty bad shape recently. I reckon he might pop his clogs soon.

Pele has been in pretty bad shape recently. I reckon he might pop his clogs soon.

There's been no recent news on his health since he was released from hospital a couple of months ago.

Bulgarian Ivan Davidov dead at 71, played in '66 and '70 WC's.

Only links in Bulgarian so far.

• Like 1

Bulgarian Ivan Davidov dead at 71, played in '66 and '70 WC's.

Only links in Bulgarian so far.

I gave you a 'like' for NOT posting a goddamn Bulgarian link like some people around here do with useless obits (see Dutch, Italian, Swedish).

SC

• Like 1