Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

Probably not. Before her death there was only her Imbd page and a youtube video. For someone her death went kind of viral (read very slow news day) and is now being reported everywhere from Variety to The Hindu. But seriously, no one knew here before.

Perhaps unsurprisingly it appears a large percentage of extreme age claimants are downright fibbers.

“I tracked down 80% of the people in the world who were older than 110,” says Newman, who found almost none of them had a birth certificate. “It’s a statistical garbage pile.”

Source.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, En Passant said:

Perhaps unsurprisingly it appears a large percentage of extreme age claimants are downright fibbers.

Source.

He’s totally right on that point. Disagree with him wholly on some of his other points in that article though.

For example, he claims a healthy lifestyle can add about 14 years to your life but that people who live "extremely healthily" won't see much difference. How is that measured scientifically (if it ever has been)? Also, define extremely healthy. I don't think I know anyone who is "extremely healthy".

Extreme health to me would be like Jack and Elaine LaLanne who only ate fish, fruit and veg, exercised twice a day every single day, and took over 80 supplements each morning. Jack lived to be 96. Elaine is still alive and is 99 in March. You can't say they didn't reach such ages "cos of genetics". Jack LaLanne's father died of a heart attack in his 50s (though his mum lived to 89). I don't believe Elaine's parents lived to very old ages either. So I'm not sure I agree that "it's all genetics after a certain point" which is essentially what he's flippantly saying.

• Like 1

“I tracked down 80% of the people in the world who were older than 110,” says Newman, who found almost none of them had a birth certificate. “It’s a statistical garbage pile.”

Source.

I'd be interested to read about the methodology. There's no way you could thoroughly investigate every longevity claimant in the world.

I have the displeasure of following Guinness World Records on Facebook. Any post about really old people is full of Nigerians and Ghanaians commenting that their grandma is 150 years old. When I got into gerontology in secondary school I had a friend who insisted that she had relatives in Cabo Verde who were "almost 200". A lot of people in developing countries mistakenly believe one of the following:

• Guinness only visits developed countries
  • Applying for a record is expensive (it's free for existing records)
  • You get paid a lot of money for breaking a record

Of course, if you think there's something in it for you, or if you don't believe anyone will bother to check your claim, there's an incentive to lie or exaggerate. However, I'd be shocked if none of the 460 million people in West Africa were truly supercentenarians. As we start looking at 1910s and 1920s records, it's more likely that we'll discover reliable birth certificates. It's just that the people who shout the loudest are usually wrong.

• Like 3

In fact Song Ping is just 58.

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Disagree with him wholly on some of his other points in that article though.

Me too. In the context of this thread the only part I was really interested in was the lack of verifiablity of the ages over 110. It's aposite in a thread where extreme ages are often quoted.

All the other stuff about Bryan Johnson and the woulda/coulda/shoulda arguments for longevity don't really relate to this thread and were peripheral but I needed to include the source.

3 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

There's no way you could thoroughly investigate every longevity claimant in the world.

Oh for sure I agree with this too, however saying you found 80% of the entire worlds population that could be checked does seem rather precise and presumably could itself be checked.

This is an article in a newspaper I suppose, not a peer reviewed scientific paper and as such its scope was broader (as above) and I'd imagine most normal readers would metaphorically turn the page once it became as boring as most scientific papers are to those with only a passing interest.

• Like 2

as boring as most scientific papers

Speaking of which a follow up article links the original source - Enjoy.

4 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Speaking of which a follow up article links the original source - Enjoy.

Daily positivity and optimism from The Guardian. :rolleyes:

If there's a more negative (non-tabloid) newspaper out there, I've never come across it.

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Daily positivity and optimism from The Guardian. :rolleyes:

If there's a more negative (non-tabloid) newspaper out there, I've never come across it.

Oh don't I know it. But I'm a tightwad and afaik it's the only 'broadsheet' you don't have to pay for - have you seen the cost of the FT?

The Torygraph?  No thanks, and The Times is owned by..... well. And they're not free either.

Oh don't I know it. But I'm a tightwad and afaik it's the only 'broadsheet' you don't have to pay for - have you seen the cost of the FT?

The Torygraph?  No thanks, and The Times is owned by..... well. And they're not free either.

The Times is probably the best quality one right now, but its subscription cost is ridiculous. 

My other half pays for The Times. I pay for the Telegraph and we share each other's logins. Simples. He got the rotten end of the bargain with the pricier subscription but he doesn't need to know that. :) 

On 03/09/2024 at 15:36, Bobytomi said:

Okagi Hayashi has turned 115 years yesterday

:birthday2::birthday:

images - 2024-09-03T093427.951.jpeg

I know Japan was one of the Axis during WW2 and all, but man that logo is...errm...interesting. :blink:

2 hours ago, Predictor said:

I know Japan was one of the Axis during WW2 and all, but man that logo is...errm...interesting. :blink:

Looks nothing like a swastika. In fact, it looks more like a four leaf clover. Anyway, a swastika in the east means peace and is it is heavily used even today. They don't have this huge obsession with WWII and the Nazis like we do the west.

• Like 4

On 14/05/2023 at 01:10, arghton said:

1915:

Ma Shitu (14 Jan 1915 - 28 Mar 2024) Chinese author with a long health history.

Min Jingde (ca. 20-29? Jan 1915) Chinese military officer.

Yu Te-Hsin (17 Mar 1915) Taiwan. Again arguable if he's notable- oldest person to paraglide tandem validated by Guinness World Records

Evelyn Hurley (17 Mar 1915) US. "Nun/educator"

Valdemar Prukner (2 May 1915 - April 2023) Croatian-German. Arguably notable - World's oldest violinist, or one of the oldest violinists.

Constantin Nastase (3 Jun 1915 - 31 October 2023) Romanian Major General, promoted from Brig. Gen in 2022.

Jupira Brasil (16 Aug 1915 - December 2022) Brazilian singer, dancer, actress, producer. Already bedbound in 2021.

Wu Jiucheng (5 Sep 1915) Chinese Long March veteran who got media attention for attending a flag raising in 2022.

Isabel Crook (15 Dec 1915 - 20 August 2023) Chinese-born Canadian anthropologist. Was very ill a few years ago but recovered.

James Clayton Flowers (25 Dec 1915) Tuskegee airman. Very ill for years apparently.

Yan Renmei (x x 1915 - 2014 OTR) ROC socialite. Turns out she's been dead, but Chinese press claimed she was still alive.

American nun and educator Evelyn Hurley (Wikidead at 109

17291925558201920242687589462213.thumb.jpg.ab4610aac83bcf8b13c1360e7f8e1443.jpg

• Like 2

On 13/05/2023 at 19:10, arghton said:

*snip*

1915:

Evelyn Hurley (17 Mar 1915) US. "Nun/educator"

*snip*

Evelyn Hurley dead at 109.

Edit: Ninja'd by Gisooo.

21 minutes ago, Drewsky1211 said:

Evelyn Hurley dead at 109.

Edit: Ninja'd by Gisooo.

You should have facepalmed him and complained it was your duty to be the first to report Hurley's death.

• Haha 5
  • Love 1

On 22/04/2024 at 10:43, maryportfuncity said:

Dipping into this serious book on ufology this morning by way of researching summat, thought to put the dates of birth and death of Sturrock into what I'm writing only to discover he's still around and turned 100 last month:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_A._Sturrock

Definitely the chance of an obit somewhere, esp.the kind that'd count in the more permissive pools

71zd4RxHrUL._SY466_.jpg

British-born American physicist Peter A. Sturrock (Wikidead at 100

17292286569733848275337690462412.jpg.17332a44876ec2385a82b7a5e1bb8b3c.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gisooo said:

British-born American physicist Peter A. Sturrock (Wikidead at 100

17292286569733848275337690462412.jpg.17332a44876ec2385a82b7a5e1bb8b3c.jpg

So, I'd said he'll get the kind of obit the more "permissive pools" would allow, they're already trickling in: https://solarnews.nso.edu/obituary-peter-sturrock-1924-2024/

He may even get Guardian and probably some serious obits in the US

On 09/02/2023 at 18:08, Lafaucheuse said:

Veterinarian Michel Klein could be included. Born in 1921, was made famous for his role in the « Club Dorothée » which was a child show very very popular in the 80´s-90’s in France. Every Time someone from that show dies, it’s a breaking News and we hear about it for 6 months after. 

French veterinarian Michel Klein (Wikidead at 103

17293608453912778779593575143549.jpg.54f017cd76ecfba219b4806dab966e12.jpg

• Like 4