Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

Honduras banker and Minister of Finance 1959-1963 Jorge Bueso Arias turns 104...while hospitalised for a "respiratory condition". 

• Like 1

On 02/08/2022 at 23:10, arghton said:

Hungary

Imre Tatár (1920) Ancient journalist and politician.

Hungerian politician and journalist Imre Tatár dead at 103.

On 16/09/2023 at 00:57, arghton said:

Honduras banker and Minister of Finance 1959-1963 Jorge Bueso Arias turns 104...while hospitalised for a "respiratory condition". 

Jorge Bueso Arias discharged to the morgue.

• Like 2

On 05/01/2023 at 12:16, Gisooo said:

Virginia Halas McCaskey (Wiki) turns 100 today

Virginia McCaskey says Bears will stay in the family - ProFootballTalk 

Bears' Alan Williams resigns. There's some unsavoury rumours about his real reason, which if true certainly wouldn't bode well for the health of Virginia Halas McCaskey.

Anyway, I'm not about to spread idle speculation until there's corroborative reports.

On 01/02/2023 at 04:54, Ulitzer95 said:

I had long thought that Dieter Gruen (b. 1922) was the last contributor to the Manhattan Project still living, but apparently not.

Harris Mayer (wiki, b. 1921) is still with us. He was in the Possibly Living category on Wiki which is why he was likely off our radars, but there's a 100th birthday article about him here.

Harris Mayer (wikidead at 102.

ScHarris08.png.c12ffb68f0f16f408b7f7dc6f4ae10a9.png

Presumably this makes Dieter Gruen the last living contributor of the Manhattan Project. He'll turn 101 next month.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Harris Mayer (wikidead at 102.

ScHarris08.png.c12ffb68f0f16f408b7f7dc6f4ae10a9.png

Presumably this makes Dieter Gruen the last living contributor of the Manhattan Project. He'll turn 101 next month.

Peter Lax worked at Los Alamos and is still alive. Also one of the greatest mathematicians of the last century.

• Like 3

On 07/01/2023 at 12:59, arghton said:

Johnny Macknowski, Russian-born US basketball player and as far as I know the second-oldest living NBA player after Whitey Von Nieda, is 100 today.

Joseph A. Hardy III, US billionaire businessman, founder-CEO of 84 Lumber and Nemacolin Woodland Resorts, 100 today. As far as I know he's now on oxygen but not bad for a larger guy who holds a cigar in half of the pictures taken of him.

Héctor Mayagoitia Domínguez, decrepit Mexican chemical bacteriologist and politician, former Governor of Durango, former Director of the National Polytechnic Institute, 100 today.

Héctor Mayagoitia Domínguez dead at 100.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drol said:

Peter Lax worked at Los Alamos and is still alive. Also one of the greatest mathematicians of the last century.

At least I have met this one in my studies (Lax-Milgram theorem), he won an Abel prize and he has a prize named after him (2022's recipient is a brilliant italian mathematician). Usually the "great mathematicians" named in this site are completely obscure to me :unsure:

On 14/05/2023 at 01:10, arghton said:

Min Jingde (ca. 20-29? Jan 1915) Chinese military officer.

Min Jingde had a pacemaker installed, but is recovering well. Invincible.

jingde2.png (1.12MiB)

• Haha 1

American physicist Kenneth M. Watson (Wikidead at 101

• Like 1

Huge article on Viola Fletcher, oldest living survivor of the Tulsa race massacre:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/style/power/2023/10/04/tulsa-massacre-viola-fletcher-reparations/

She seems on a mission and in adequate health. Looks like she'll obit everywhere, seems slightly underpicked.

12 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Huge article on Viola Fletcher, last living survivor of the Tulsa race massacre:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/style/power/2023/10/04/tulsa-massacre-viola-fletcher-reparations/

She seems on a mission and in adequate health. Looks like she'll obit everywhere, seems slightly underpicked.

I get Fauja Singh vibes from this case.

13 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I get Fauja Singh vibes from this case.

She married at 18 though, there's not much room for that.

8 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

She married at 18 though, there's not much room for that.

Unknown.jpeg.d5069349ceb7308dc9b295f7d5bbbcd4.jpegjerry-lee-lewis-1.jpg.5e031e3b434cfe4fcf50469ef919fa55.jpg

2tfsx4-1.jpg.ee650067854a9ef637122efb143012fd.jpg

• Haha 1

Ah yes, and she lied about her age so she could claim the precious title of "oldest living survivor of the Tulsa race massacre"... but that's not really what this is about, is it? 

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Ah yes, and she lied about her age so she could claim the precious title of "oldest living survivor of the Tulsa race massacre"... but that's not really what this is about, is it? 

Not sure you understand how these bogus cases work. They're normally due to an identity switch of some kind (e.g. with siblings) or a deliberate fabrication of their year of birth in decades prior that then just gets copied out many times and accepted as truth. They're often done for reasons unrelated to longevity claims.

Fauja Singh, Virginia McLaurin and Buster Martin are just three cases. Now, Mrs Fletcher looks absolutely amazing for someone away to turn 110 in just over 6 months. It'll be interesting to see what the gerontologists come back with when they set to verify her.

Well, there is, for one, the difference between honest mistake and deliberate fraud. Fauja Singh, I assume we suspect, is the latter? Do we have the same thing here?

And if she isn't as old as she claims, how old was she when the massacre took place? It can't be a huge mistake then, unless one doubts the testimony.

On 11/09/2023 at 19:55, Ulitzer95 said:

British historian E. Mary Smallwood (wiki) dead a few months shy of 104.

Death notice from her local church in Morningside, Edinburgh.

One of those Wiki pages I spent ages trying to find a death date for. Turns out she was living all this time. :facepalm:

Full Herald obituary:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/education/23836989.classics-professor-known-work-romano-jewish-history/

• Like 1

On 07/04/2021 at 21:50, arghton said:

Phyllis Latour joins the 100 club on 8th of April.

Phyllis Latour aka Pippa Latour, South African born WWII veteran of the UK's Special Operations executive, reportedly joins the ranks of the dead aged 102: 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

On 11/09/2023 at 13:51, Ulitzer95 said:

Akintola Williams (wiki) finally dead (channeling drol) at 104.

News report.

EDIT: By my record keeping this means that Chris Ogunbanjo (wiki), who turns 100 in December, is the oldest Nigerian with a Wikipedia page (unless he's died off radar).

Chris Ogunbanjo (wikidead two months shy of 100.

Oldest Nigerian with a Wiki page is now likely traditional ruler Joseph Chile Edozien (wiki) who was born in July 1925.

• Like 2

Hughes Van Ellis, younger brother of Viola Fletcher and himself a Tulsa race massacre survivor, dead at 102.

Cause of death: shock from logging into his favorite forum, DeathList.net, and seeing his sister compared to Fraudster Singh.

• Like 10
  • Haha 6

The CNN obit points out that two survivors are left, Viola Fletcher and Lessie Benningfield Randle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

The CNN obit points out that two survivors are left, Viola Fletcher and Lessie Benningfield Randle.

An elaborate heist then. :P