Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

American novelist Louise Meriweather (Wikidead at 100

image.thumb.png.09ab0da53b8f4224c42a31ec26a8326b.png

• Like 2

On 15/03/2023 at 23:16, arghton said:

More on Karthyayani Amma's condition: Apparently she's somewhat recently suffered a stroke and she's now completely bedbound and partially paralysed.

Karthyayani Amma dead at 101.

• Like 2

On 27/05/2023 at 11:04, Alex B said:

Here is a list i compiled of WW2 veterans, ranging from soldiers, Resistance members, and people who experienced firsthand the horrors of the war that were born in the 1910s era.

Friedrich Grade.

[Last surviving Kriegsmarine crew mate of the German submarine U-96]

(1916-)

Friedrich Grade dead at 107 (in German)

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

On 07/05/2021 at 14:42, arghton said:

Rugby player Eric Tweedale recently got to 100.

Also, about the supercentenarian former Costa Rica first lady Marita Quiros: She has a therapy doll (usually used for people with dementia) in a photo from February. Doesn't mean she "100%" will die soon (as Hester Ford lived with Alzheimer's for atleast 3 or 4 years before dying at the age of 116) but combined with her age, probably gone by the end of this year.

Any news or new pictures of Ruth Apilado? Celebrated her 113th on 30th of last month

Eric Tweedale dead at 102.

• Like 3

Carol Berman (Wiki), American Democratic Politician dead at 100

Austrian literary theorist Franz Karl Stanzel (Wikidead at 100

• Like 1

American journalist Geri M. Joseph (Wikidead at 100

Also a political figure who served as United States Ambassador to the Netherlands.

image.thumb.png.c7fdcfc289054ee931a38506a96bef3f.png

On 19/04/2022 at 22:38, ladyfiona said:

Jan Stangryciuk - I will let Dan Snow explain:

11 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Report of the death of Jan Stangryczuk Black of the Guinea Pig Club, which probably wipes them all out.

Cross posting Jan Stangryciuk Black's death report here.

• Like 3

Wanda Półtawska dead at 102.

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

Not Wiki, but a death notice for person of interest Squadron Leader Eric Downs, a WWII flying instructor who has died aged 102: https://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/marketplace/advert/downs-notices_54091

Lovely interview here from just a month ago: https://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/news/23810091.raf-veteran-trained-500-pilots-turns-102/

The Beeb covered his 100th with an interview:

• Like 2

Canadian philathropist Arthur Britton Smith (Wikidead at 103

• Like 2

On 14/11/2022 at 22:50, arghton said:

I doubt he could die off radar. He seems to be a pretty large name in  Canada and his 108th was celebrated by multiple facebook accounts. My guess is that he's alive but not has been in poor health for a while considering he hasn't made appearances in ages.

Angel Martín Taboas, seems like a minor name, when was the last time we heard of him?

Several posts on Facebook reporting that Angel Martín Taboas (wiki) died on Friday (27th) aged 105.

Credible report from a Puerto Rican politician's FB page here.

• Like 4

On 20/08/2023 at 13:13, arghton said:

I think the only other "notables" with foreign wikis are:

Yan Renmei - ROC socialite. Juliana Young Koo who lived to 111 was her aunt.

Constantin Năstase - Romanian Major General and WWII vet. (He was promoted from Brig. Gen last year)

I remember this was discussed some time ago when Carmen Herrera died. Back then there was Shitu, Clayton Flowers, Crook, Frances Hesselbein, Masao Horie and Jozef Caban. As mentioned there's only Shitu and Clayton Flowers left of them now. I think these four are the last even somewhat notable people born in 1915 with Ma fucking Shitu being much more famous as the other three combined.

Constantin Năstase dead at 108, only Shitu, Clayton Flowers and Renmei remain from those "notable people" born 1915.

In other news Du Daozheng, legendary Chinese reformer and former head of National Press and Publication Administration and one of those who helped publish Zhao Ziyang's secret journal Prisoner of the State, is turning 100 today. Here's an image from September:

daozheng.thumb.png.5b1670004f754c72614ba04b34052676.png

Advanced Parkinson's, dementia, recurring infections and pneumonia for years, very severe C difficile infection complicated by other ailments that put him into coma for some time two years ago (apparently hospitalised since). I'd say there's some chance he could obit in Western press due to his connection to Zhao Ziyang.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Several posts on Facebook reporting that Angel Martín Taboas (wiki) died on Friday (27th) aged 105.

Credible report from a Puerto Rican politician's FB page here.

Puerto Rican media now confirming.

8 hours ago, arghton said:

In other news Du Daozheng, legendary Chinese reformer and former head of National Press and Publication Administration and one of those who helped publish Zhao Ziyang's secret journal Prisoner of the State, is turning 100 today. Here's an image from September:

daozheng.thumb.png.5b1670004f754c72614ba04b34052676.png

Apparently, Du Daozheng turned 100 in September. The photo was taken at his birthday celebration.

On 27/11/2022 at 16:33, drol said:

I still expect Lloyd Geering and John Hemingway to be gone before the end of the year.

John Hemingway (wiki), 104, returned to his old school in September, 86 years after leaving (new photo of him in article). Hemingway says he doesn't understand why he's still alive. A sentiment I'm sure @drol shares.

Sir Lloyd Geering (wiki), 105, hasn't been heard from since March when he kicked up a fuss about the New Zealand Government not doing enough to tackle climate change.

I thought Hemingway would die first given that he's been in a home for years but if "keeping up appearances" is anything to go by, Geering will probably go first.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Wei Wei dead at 101.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Welcome Ecuador military dictator Guillermo Rodriguez Lara to the club!

A biography will be out soon to celebrate.

• Shocked 1

It's actually suprising that he made it to 100, usually most of the Cold War era dictators have died off, there are still a few, but dwindling 

Holocaust survivor and memoirist Margot Friedländer turns 102.

• Like 3

On 08/02/2023 at 13:41, arghton said:

Wen Jian (1918) Chinese founding Major General

And of course there's a load of those who are long dead but there's no death date, for example Wang Chang-hui, Mohammad-Ali Molavi, Henry Satorius Bannerman, Pamela McGeorge, Xie Jianshun and Connie Lee.

Wen Jian dead at 105.

Only Wang Fuzhi and the invincible Zhang Lixiong left as founding major generals.

• Like 4

Quick recap on french centenarian

- André Chandernargor (b. 1921), former minister of Foreign Affair : attend the inauguration of a bust of himself in Aubusson a month ago. Looks quite well I must say which surprised me.

600_sc_whatsapp-image-2023-09-20-at-00-31-35.jpg.81d3ffba36de14667175de22c038b3da.jpg

- Roland Dumas (b. 1922), former minister of Foreign Affair (again) : no news of him in more than a year now, last picture of him was from august 2022 and he didn't look as sharp as Chandernargor

- Philippe de Gaulle (b. 1921), son of De Gaulle and admiral : a 6 pages long new article of Le Monde about him a few days ago talking about the legacy of De Gaulle saying he "always have something to do" but "uses a walker" and "lives in the Invalides military hospital" (but still able to go to the museum near the Invalides so…). Doesn't looked to bad a year ago for his birthday, let's see if he makes it to his birthday in late december

a-bientot-101-ans-l-amiral-philippe-de-gaulle-se-confie-au-jdd-ca-n-a-pas-ete-drole-d-etre-le-fils-du-general.thumb.jpg.0fc05dc7965684546757009cd125ddbf.jpg

- Edgar Morin (b. 1921), philosopher and sociologist : still giving interview every week, one from yesterday, looks really good, really sharp, really impressive for a 102 yo man. I thought he would be dead by now cause he looked rough at one point but he's still here talking politics and literature

- Micheline Presle (b. 1921), actress : I'd say she looks the roughest of them all, a few photos of her from her 101 birthday but not much more. Didn't say she had play with Paul Newmann. 

F4JA6KebsAIrbfX.thumb.jpeg.6d5c5c3a2ef830e6734ece52f52703f0.jpeg

- Jean Malaurie (b. 1922), geograph and explorer : no news of him since this article in april. No photos. Weird… 

Malaurie and Dumas seems the next one to go. I'd say Morin and Chandernargor will be the last one standing. I think all of them can obit in UK right ?

• Like 3

On 13/01/2023 at 12:36, WEP said:

Minor Swedish royal, count Hans-Gabriel Trolle-Wachtmeister has turned 100 on January 9th.
https://www.kristianstadsbladet.se/familj/greve-hans-gabriel-trolle-wachtmeister-fyller-100/

His family has German origins and immigrated to Sweden in the 16th century, his great-great-grandfather was Minister for Justice in the 19th century.

Count Hans-Gabriel is the widower of former Swedish chief court mistress Countess Alice Viktoria Trolle-Wachtmeister, who died in 2017 aged 91.

Count Hans-Gabriel Trolle-Wachtmeister dead at 100.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1