Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

5 minutes ago, Master Obit said:

As far as I know, nobody actually has any contact (certainly nobody on OldestinBritain does, because I'm one of that group). All the posts about him on fora are simply operating under the assumption that he hasn't died. It's entirely possible that he'll die off the radar and only be discovered in the index. 

Ah ok, I thought someone did have a contact there as we hadn't seen a new photo of him for over a decade at one point, but now there are several "recent" ones floating about online.

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Ah ok, I thought someone did have a contact there as we hadn't seen a new photo of him for over a decade at one point, but now there are several "recent" ones floating about online.

The one from 106 is from a facebook post by a care home, and it was matched to Norman Spencer based on the details. I know this because I was the one who found it. There's also supposedly an interview/video on twitter from when he was 107.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Master Obit said:

The one from 106 is from a facebook post by a care home, and it was matched to Norman Spencer based on the details. I know this because I was the one who found it. There's also supposedly an interview/video on twitter from when he was 107.

He’ll be 110 in 105 days. Hopefully he’ll make it and we’ll get a photo and an article.

Would also like to see him getting obituaries in The Telegraph, Times and Guardian.

Will be the oldest person from the British film/television industry to do so. 

11 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

He’ll be 110 in 105 days. Hopefully he’ll make it and we’ll get a photo and an article.

I shouldn't hold your hopes out of getting an article, but maybe 110 will be viewed as a major milestone and article-worthy even though he hasn't really been reported on in the media up to now.

11 minutes ago, Master Obit said:

I shouldn't hold your hopes out of getting an article, but maybe 110 will be viewed as a major milestone and article-worthy even though he hasn't really been reported on in the media up to now.

I believe his care home is in Uxbridge near where I used to live.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:
10 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Are we to assume the public GRO index will never be updated now. 

I'll email them and ask. When I last did so in 2021 they were really passive about it and like most other businesses with lazy ass employees used the pandemic as an excuse for a "backlog". Will be amusing to see what their excuse is now.

I asked someone who usually has a bit of inside knowledge about the GRO.  He said he didn't know, but pointed out that the description of the index in the FAQs says

"Death records from 1837 to 1957, and 1984 up to two years ago in England and Wales"

So if that stays the same, he expects 2022 death entries to be added shortly after the end of 2024, and the same with the birth index.

• Like 1

Mollie Lentaigne (wiki), British artist and celebrated Red Cross nurse during World War II, dead just shy of 104.

440px-Mollie_Lentaigne.jpg.8f5f4e8bf7779d78a81295c7d968dbbf.jpg

A pick in several pools on here.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Mollie Lentaigne (wiki), British artist and celebrated Red Cross nurse during World War II, dead just shy of 104.

440px-Mollie_Lentaigne.jpg.8f5f4e8bf7779d78a81295c7d968dbbf.jpg

A pick in several pools on here.

Drew members of the Guinea Pig Club and outlived every single member.

Probably for the better she was not a DDP pick, to spare the front page from my inevitable godawful "I was a member of the Guinea Pig Club too! Oh wait, that's a different guinea pig entirely" lines.

• Like 1

On 25/03/2024 at 22:21, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Both him and Laurie Webb usually send thanks out via Hadoke when it is their birthday.

Webb is 100 today, here's Hadoke's tweet, still fit enough to golf apparently.

• Like 3

On 05/03/2022 at 11:32, arghton said:

Milton Thiago de Mello celebrated his 106th last month:

miltonthiago.png.c7c6696029f91f8c309e6fed24c8efc7.png

Picked in Centenarians DP in 2020, not picked there since. Still able to walk.

Milton Thiago de Mello did a long interview shortly after his 108th birthday, presumably just to piss us off.

Looks like he could become a supercentenarian.

• Like 2

On 25/02/2023 at 03:10, arghton said:

Ed Iskendrian (101, the Camfather has been chainsmoking cigars for most of his life and still does, never really looked healthy)

Ed Iskendrian knocked down by a robber last month. Also, his son (Ron Iskendrian) died a few months ago.

On 14/02/2023 at 21:20, Ulitzer95 said:

Lois Kimbrell b. 31 Jan 1921, American Died unknown date

Lois Kimbrell died on May 30, 2017 at the age of 96 in Albuquerque, NM, her son replied. Free to update her IMDb

IMG_20240513_181950_359.jpg.d0b8f7617d0f04ee283c9b50d36eea6e.jpg

• Like 4

What a nice letter.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Toast said:

What a nice letter.

Hard to read though. Wish someone had scanned that page instead of taken a photo.

• Like 1

American professor and author Charlotte F. Muller (Wikidead at 103

• Like 1

Times birthday notice for British writer and fundraiser Anne Baker MBE (wiki) who turns 110 today.

Baker is the 18th oldest person in the UK. By this time next month the UK could have 21 people aged 110+. I think the last time we had 20+ supercentenarians living at one time was years back.

Below is a wonderful photo of Anne joking to Dame Esther Rantzen about how she plans to outlive her.

410242320_AnneBakerandEstherRantzengardenparty.jpg.article-962.jpg.e5ea2cfdc9a7b2c3a9210b4969720cbe.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Richard Rohmer well enough for public appearance, though he seemed on his last legs in January. Tough cookie.

Just reading the Telegraph obit for Bette Nash (wiki), world record holder for the longest serving flight attendant, who died earlier this month aged 88.

Which got me thinking... is the previous titleholder Iris Peterson (wiki) still alive? Well, her husband's obit from 31st March confirms she is! Will be 103 in October. Iris worked for United Airlines for 60 years from 1946 to 2007.

a98047_stewardess_9-oldest1-e1477052531935.jpg.705769092187302192d3b910caafe10f.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Just reading the Telegraph obit for Bette Nash (wiki), world record holder for the longest serving flight attendant, who died earlier this month aged 88.

Which got me thinking... is the previous titleholder Iris Peterson (wiki) still alive? Well, her husband's obit from 31st March confirms she is! Will be 103 in October. Iris worked for United Airlines for 60 years from 1946 to 2007.

a98047_stewardess_9-oldest1-e1477052531935.jpg.705769092187302192d3b910caafe10f.jpg

Technically, Ron Akana came between the two in terms of holding the record, and apparently served 62 years as a flight attendant. (Likely he also still holds the male record in the category.) He's also still alive, but only in his mid-90s.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Comped said:

Technically, Ron Akana came between the two in terms of holding the record, and apparently served 62 years as a flight attendant. (Likely he also still holds the male record in the category.) He's also still alive, but only in his mid-90s.

Yup, got him on my list also. Be interesting to see if Peterson and Akana get as much widespread coverage as Nash did.

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Yup, got him on my list also. Be interesting to see if Peterson and Akana get as much widespread coverage as Nash did.

He probably could, due to holding the other half of the gender-specific part of the record, but I doubt she will - after all, he record has already been broken twice that we know of.

• Like 1