The Lord Carrington thread.

#2 SalmonMousse

SalmonMousse

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:12 AM

an aristocratic one-nation conservative with a strong sense of noblesse oblige, was very much concerned with social harmony and national unity, and was often sympathetic to the demands of the British working class; he had a tempestuous relationship with Margaret Thatcher, referring to her as a "stupid [petit bourgeois] woman".[1]

from Wikipedia for those that will ask lord who??

did lots of mp govt stuff
its a Mr Grim, he's come about the reaping....

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:12 AM

Carrington was looking pretty good for 94 when he opened a hospital a few weeks ago http://www.privatehe...chiltern-38954/ Not sure why he's on the list

#4 Bibliogryphon

Bibliogryphon

Jolly Green Gnat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4261 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

Neverending Tory
  • Toast, Ulitzer95 and Dr. Zorders like this
<p><p><p><p>"I appear to have bypassed my good taste chip"2016 DDP Teams:Bibliogryphon's Bookworm Food (Theme Team) 3/20 I Can't Believe They're Not Deader 4/20 Unusual Suspects 6/20 2016 Shadow List:Billy Graham/Zsa Zsa Gabor/Joao Havelange/Olivia de Havilland/Peter Sallis/Muhammad Ali/Mary Tyler Moore/Tony Booth/Paul Gascoigne/Leslie Philips/Liz Dawn/Herman Wouk/Richard Adams/Glenn Campbell/Bhumibol Adulyadej/Denis Norden/Rodney Bewes/Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh/Clive James/Nancy Reagan/Peter Sutcliffe /Douglas Hurd/Martin Crowe/Helmut Kohl/Peter Vaughan/Jimmy Young/Don Rickles/June Brown/Bob Wilson/Mikhail Gorbachov/Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg/William Russell/Everton Weekes/Sidney Poitier/Walter Mondale/John Hurt/Dave Whelan/Brian Blessed/Tom Baker/Joni Mitchell/Abdelaziz Bouteflika/Val Kilmer /Robert Mugabe/Valerie Harper/Jimmy Carter /Cher /George Bush Snr/Neil Simon/Gordon Banks/Sheila Sim 9/50 (2015: 7/50)

#5 Dr. Zorders

Dr. Zorders

IsCastroDeadYet.edu

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3724 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

Neverending Tory

Haha, you little genius.

Er, or you big genius if you're a tall guy, I don't know.

...Mention the Game of the Thrones just once more and I'll more than likely kill you...

"Liberal" genius to-do list:

1. Call anti-Islam campaigners Nazis.

2. Label Winston Churchill, the guy without whom Europe would have become 100% Nazi, "outdated and imperialist" etc., and smirk as people get arrested for citing his views of Islam.

(3. Lurkingly and creepily use internet powers that were granted to you in more peaceful care-free times to arbitrarily censor and threaten people with opinions you don't like, much like a middle-of-the-night raid on opposition by 1930s Nazi street thugs)

#6 Bibliogryphon

Bibliogryphon

Jolly Green Gnat

• Members
  • 4261 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

Neverending Tory

Haha, you little genius.

Just shy of 6ft.

Not going to comment on weight.

I presume it is relative you might be a basketball player or Bernie Ecclestone.
<p><p><p><p>"I appear to have bypassed my good taste chip"2016 DDP Teams:Bibliogryphon's Bookworm Food (Theme Team) 3/20 I Can't Believe They're Not Deader 4/20 Unusual Suspects 6/20 2016 Shadow List:Billy Graham/Zsa Zsa Gabor/Joao Havelange/Olivia de Havilland/Peter Sallis/Muhammad Ali/Mary Tyler Moore/Tony Booth/Paul Gascoigne/Leslie Philips/Liz Dawn/Herman Wouk/Richard Adams/Glenn Campbell/Bhumibol Adulyadej/Denis Norden/Rodney Bewes/Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh/Clive James/Nancy Reagan/Peter Sutcliffe /Douglas Hurd/Martin Crowe/Helmut Kohl/Peter Vaughan/Jimmy Young/Don Rickles/June Brown/Bob Wilson/Mikhail Gorbachov/Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg/William Russell/Everton Weekes/Sidney Poitier/Walter Mondale/John Hurt/Dave Whelan/Brian Blessed/Tom Baker/Joni Mitchell/Abdelaziz Bouteflika/Val Kilmer /Robert Mugabe/Valerie Harper/Jimmy Carter /Cher /George Bush Snr/Neil Simon/Gordon Banks/Sheila Sim 9/50 (2015: 7/50)

#7 Dr. Zorders

Dr. Zorders

IsCastroDeadYet.edu

• Banned
  • 3724 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

Neverending Tory

Haha, you little genius.

Just shy of 6ft.

Not going to comment on weight.

I presume it is relative you might be a basketball player or Bernie Ecclestone.

I just meant it kind of like some people say "you little beauty" or whatever because it was a flash of genius, then I realised you could be 7ft for all I know.

I'm shy of 6ft tall people too, they scare the shit out of me.

...Mention the Game of the Thrones just once more and I'll more than likely kill you...

2. Label Winston Churchill, the guy without whom Europe would have become 100% Nazi, "outdated and imperialist" etc., and smirk as people get arrested for citing his views of Islam.

(3. Lurkingly and creepily use internet powers that were granted to you in more peaceful care-free times to arbitrarily censor and threaten people with opinions you don't like, much like a middle-of-the-night raid on opposition by 1930s Nazi street thugs)

#8 Bibliogryphon

Bibliogryphon

Jolly Green Gnat

• Members
  • 4261 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

Neverending Tory

or will it be The end of the peer show?
  • themaninblack and Dr. Zorders like this

#9 Guest_hhtc130_*

Guest_hhtc130_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:18 AM

Not sure exactly why he's on this page, except that he's a high-profile politician in mid-90s. I saw him at the Royal Opera House tonight (Dec 18) and he looked remarkably hale and hearty and full of life. I think it's premature to have him, and he wouldn't be high in my list for 2015 at all.

#10 Dr. Zorders

Dr. Zorders

IsCastroDeadYet.edu

• Banned
  • 3724 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:39 AM

Not sure exactly why he's on this page, except that he's a high-profile politician in mid-90s. I saw him at the Royal Opera House tonight (Dec 18) and he looked remarkably hale and hearty and full of life. I think it's premature to have him, and he wouldn't be high in my list for 2015 at all.

You openly admit you went to an opera and you expect us to be embarrassed?
  • Eesti, Bibliogryphon and Shaun of the Dead like this

#11 maryportfuncity

maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15030 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:09 AM

As Frankie Boyle so ably tweeted at Thatcher's funeral, the guest list for that event was a damning indictment of the operational inefficiency of the IRA. Which - in a round about way - is why Carrington and his former cabinet colleagues offer us dead pool fodder now. I don't think Lord C is the best bet in the survivors, Leon Brittan being a younger but more promising candidate, surely. The gobby Tebbit probably has a few years left in him given the life force he exbibits every time something like Hilary Mantell's Thatcher assassination story makes the news.

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.maryport2if5.jpg

#12 Shaun of the Dead

Shaun of the Dead

I have no life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2755 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:19 AM

-Recent video of him looks well but his hands are really discoloured.Heart/circulatory problems maybe?I think it is unreasonable to criticize having a man his age on the list.
  • Bibliogryphon likes this

Shadow Deathlist 2017:

1)Tony Booth 2)Leah Bracknell 3)Kirk Douglas 4)Billy Graham 5)Herman Wouk 6)David Rockefeller 7)Clare Hollingworth 8)Leslie Phillips 9)Peter Sallis 10 )Nobby Stiles 11)Glen Campbell 12)Peter Skellern 13)Denis Norden 14)Javier Perez de Cuellar 15)Jake LaMotta 16)George H.W Bush 17)Prince Philip 18)Jerry Lewis 19)Ian Brady 20)Helmut Kohl 21)Jacques Chirac 22)Fats Domino 23)Peter Sarstedt 24)Pierre Cardin 25)Colin Meads 26)John Noakes 27)Ray Kennedy 28)Sheila Mercier 29)Stephen Hawking30)Vera Lynn 31)Olivia de Havilland 32)Ray Wilson 33)Mary Tyler Moore 34)Prunella Scales35)Liz Dawn36)Chuck Berry37)Bill Maynard 38)Paul Gascoigne 39)Jimmy Carter 40)Peter Carrington 41)Stan Lee 42)Henry Kissinger 43)Bob Dole 44)Tony Iommi 5)Doris Day 46)Nicholas Parsons 47)John Hurt 48)Freddie Starr 49)Charles Aznavour 50)Robert Mugabe

2/50

#13 Magere Hein

Magere Hein

MH: normal field

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6155 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:25 PM

-Recent video of him looks well but his hands are really discoloured.Heart/circulatory problems maybe?I think it is unreasonable to criticize having a man his age on the list.

I'd say the young interviewer stands a better chance of buying the farm in 2015 (from embarrassment) than the interviewee.

regards,
Hein

DDP 2016 team The Grey Horde (3/20): Sister Wendy, Belmondo, Bettencourt, Crowe joker.gif, Feek, Ford, Glenn, Gorbachev, Rev Graham, Kissinger, Kohl, Leonov, Madoff, Mugabe, Mushatt Jones, O'Connor, Li , Tereshkova, van der Westhuizen, Yeager
DDP 2016 theme team Minions of Xuleneb (0/20): Albert II, Andriessen, Beatrix, Bernhard, Bloembergen, Brokken, Ceulemans, de Jong, Eyskens, Grönloh, Haitink, van 't Hek, Janssen, Jean I, Krebbers, Ricksen joker.gif, Rijvers, Santer, Thielemans, Veltman
DDP 2016 theme team Next slide, please (1/20): Attenborough, Blakemore, Bodmer, Close, Conway Morris, Dawkins, Greenfield, Longair, Meurig Thomas, Morris joker.gif, Graham-Smith, Hewish, Krebs, Phillips, Rothwell, Stewart, Sulston, Wolff, Wolpert, Zeeman

Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.

#14 Shaun of the Dead

Shaun of the Dead

I have no life

• Members
  • 2755 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:33 PM

The interviewer is clearly demented how Carrington didn`t smirk once is beyond me!

Shadow Deathlist 2017:

1)Tony Booth 2)Leah Bracknell 3)Kirk Douglas 4)Billy Graham 5)Herman Wouk 6)David Rockefeller 7)Clare Hollingworth 8)Leslie Phillips 9)Peter Sallis 10 )Nobby Stiles 11)Glen Campbell 12)Peter Skellern 13)Denis Norden 14)Javier Perez de Cuellar 15)Jake LaMotta 16)George H.W Bush 17)Prince Philip 18)Jerry Lewis 19)Ian Brady 20)Helmut Kohl 21)Jacques Chirac 22)Fats Domino 23)Peter Sarstedt 24)Pierre Cardin 25)Colin Meads 26)John Noakes 27)Ray Kennedy 28)Sheila Mercier 29)Stephen Hawking30)Vera Lynn 31)Olivia de Havilland 32)Ray Wilson 33)Mary Tyler Moore 34)Prunella Scales35)Liz Dawn36)Chuck Berry37)Bill Maynard 38)Paul Gascoigne 39)Jimmy Carter 40)Peter Carrington 41)Stan Lee 42)Henry Kissinger 43)Bob Dole 44)Tony Iommi 5)Doris Day 46)Nicholas Parsons 47)John Hurt 48)Freddie Starr 49)Charles Aznavour 50)Robert Mugabe

2/50

#15 Lord Fellatio Nelson

Lord Fellatio Nelson

Follically Challenged Bastard

• Members
  • 4242 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:30 PM

Never liked the fella.
How could he ever have been a credible politician when he looked like Marje Proops?

The first to ask "Is he dead yet?" about Castro Forsyth...............ignore piss poor imitators. :D

Hartlepool Deadlypool 2017

Olivia De Havilland

Carol Channing

Kirk Douglas

Bruce Forsyth

Clifton James

Clive King

Martin Peters

Glynnis Johns

Brian Matthew

John Noakes

Subs: Sean Connery, George Cohen

#16 Bibliogryphon

Bibliogryphon

Jolly Green Gnat

• Members
  • 4261 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:18 PM

As Frankie Boyle so ably tweeted at Thatcher's funeral, the guest list for that event was a damning indictment of the operational inefficiency of the IRA. Which - in a round about way - is why Carrington and his former cabinet colleagues offer us dead pool fodder now. I don't think Lord C is the best bet in the survivors, Leon Brittan being a younger but more promising candidate, surely. The gobby Tebbit probably has a few years left in him given the life force he exbibits every time something like Hilary Mantell's Thatcher assassination story makes the news.

I think Douglas Hurd and Nigel Lawson are probably good bets as well. Hurd certainly looked the worst at the funeral. Everyone else looked quite pleased to be there.

#17 Guest_hhtc130_*

Guest_hhtc130_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:16 AM

Dr. Zorders - Not ashamed to be passionate about opera, still less looking for others to be embarrassed: but simply trying to point out that I think there are many better candidates for 2015 than Lord Carrington, who still seems in pretty good shape for someone of his age.

#18 Dr. Zorders

Dr. Zorders

IsCastroDeadYet.edu

• Banned
  • 3724 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:25 AM

Dr. Zorders - Not ashamed to be passionate about opera, still less looking for others to be embarrassed: but simply trying to point out that I think there are many better candidates for 2015 than Lord Carrington, who still seems in pretty good shape for someone of his age.

Oh ok. You know I was only jokin rite.

Thanks for the helpful link to my own profile btw.

TBQFH I thought you would end up just telling me you worked there as an usher or someth, hard to imagine opera fans "round these parts" (little shout-out to MPFC there). Whatevs. And yeah as hard as it is for me to imagine looking full of life while attending an opera, I believe you. So thank you for the advice.

#19 Dr. Zorders

Dr. Zorders

IsCastroDeadYet.edu

• Banned
  • 3724 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:59 PM

Just saw Pistol Pete on Newsnight talking about everyone's favourite World-War-2-winning car-insurance dog.

Did we know he's the last surviving member of a Winston Churchill cabinet? I suppose it isn't surprising there's only one.

Also, from the Churchill documentary on BBC last night, I found out about this....... of which Carrington was a member but our other superannuated pal Denis Healey was not.

#20 Shaun of the Dead

Shaun of the Dead

I have no life

• Members
  • 2755 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:52 AM

I`m starting to regret putting him on my DDP .I picked him purely for his age and notability.

Shadow Deathlist 2017:

2/50

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users