Sign in to follow this  
Spade_Cooley

So, How's Your 2015 Shortlist Looking?

It has been an odd year. A record haul of hits with less teams, but less teams overall have scored and only one (DQSP) has more than ten hits, whereas last year there were 23. And some of us seasoned pros have had a shocker. Next year seems intriguing as Sam Simon apart (and he might still go before the year's end) there's no real locked-down dead certs, so it will be interesting to see what the contenders have. Octopus has said he's retiring but never say never, Living End has tailed off so Spade (DQSP) is a massive favourite to complete the treble...

Well, there's clearly a progression level within DDP teams throughout the ages. First it was finding celebrities who were actually old, then celebrities who were actually ill, then people who were insanely old but not necessarily celebrities, then people who were "famous for being ill", then the relatives of celebrities, and now we're in an age where there are so many pages and megabytes for media organisations to fill that we probably have more obituaries then ever before, so it's almost a case of not predicting who will die this year, but predicting who that'll die this year will get a mention in at least one newspaper.

My 2015 longlist is down to about 40 names now, and there's guys on there whose illnesses have been mentioned in national newspapers and will easily get an obituary across the board who haven't been mentioned on this forum yet. A lot of people keep their powder very very dry, we're not even getting any fake dying rumours posted this year (Jasper Carrott, huh?)

Well, there's clearly a progression level within DDP teams throughout the ages. First it was finding celebrities who were actually old, then celebrities who were actually ill, then people who were insanely old but not necessarily celebrities, then people who were "famous for being ill", then the relatives of celebrities, and now we're in an age where there are so many pages and megabytes for media organisations to fill that we probably have more obituaries then ever before, so it's almost a case of not predicting who will die this year, but predicting who that'll die this year will get a mention in at least one newspaper.

My 2015 longlist is down to about 40 names now, and there's guys on there whose illnesses have been mentioned in national newspapers and will easily get an obituary across the board who haven't been mentioned on this forum yet. A lot of people keep their powder very very dry, we're not even getting any fake dying rumours posted this year (Jasper Carrott, huh?)

Apparently there was a hoax about Ceaser Millan (the dog guy) doing the rounds yesterday.

It has been an odd year. A record haul of hits with less teams, but less teams overall have scored and only one (DQSP) has more than ten hits, whereas last year there were 23. And some of us seasoned pros have had a shocker. Next year seems intriguing as Sam Simon apart (and he might still go before the year's end) there's no real locked-down dead certs, so it will be interesting to see what the contenders have. Octopus has said he's retiring but never say never, Living End has tailed off so Spade (DQSP) is a massive favourite to complete the treble...

The Living End will be back next year with a half decent team . :) When I finish outside the top ten ,I get all competitive again.

• Like 6

My apologies for being presumptive, DDT... :)

A few questions I have:

1. Who will replace "the man in black" for 2015?

2. Why not introduce a new system that's similar to a football league, where you get relegated if you don't finish top 100? It would increase the competitiveness and make all the teams try harder.

Back on topic, how is my shortlist looking? Actually, I don't think I'll be participating next year. I've slowly and steadily come to realize that I don't like searching for, and reading about, illnesses and dying people (whether they're celebs or not). It's incredibly depressing, even though you do get "desensitized" after a while. But still, I'm getting sick of this whole death subject. I don't want to develope hypocondria until I'm at least 70-80.

And since I don't want to do actual research (which requires reading and reading), I would just end up picking high-profile super old people like Fidel Castro or Vera Lynn for the sole reason of their high age and fame.

The answer to 1. is that nobody is! I will be getting some help for some of the heavy lifting (namely biogs and picks) and I'm planning to allow contributions to the updates from special "guests" (although I'm not sure whether to let them get on with the writing and I update or they do both tasks as it's technically still a bit fiddly). But it's pretty much business-as-usual. From tonight, the nomination period begins and I as usual will be doing the inputting, but I don't mind this so much because I have my routine nailed-down and it will provide suitable "tuning up" for the job I'm starting (fingers crossed) in January...

• Like 3

It's a hurculian task and you deserve a high five from us all. I would like to propose that your work load be lightned by limiting each contestant to just two entries next year. And if the picked name is not currently one used in the 2014 DDP then the entrant should provide the 50 word background submission and a photo to a workable format.

• Like 2

I'm thinking an overall team limit of 500, with the additional caveat of 2 teams as suggested. If so, then it might be better to reduce the window still further to three or even two weeks so as to still leave it until the last moment for the contenders...

The problem with a reduced time limit for entries is that it gives me less time during and afterwards to add in the teams.

And the main the problem with a limit is knowing when that limit is breached as many emails have multiple entries and it would take time to go through them, particularly when there are 200+ on NYE...

However, now that I have a system in place that I'm satisfied with and that works well, maybe it's best not to try and make things easier only to make them harder.

I have free time this Xmas (which may not be the case next year) so best to make the most of it. A lauch date of 10th January 2015 seems not unreasonable and it may even be sooner, depending on how many teams come in...

The Living End will be back next year with a half decent team . :) When I finish outside the top ten ,I get all competitive again.

I've said it before, it's what the fans want, a year where DQSP and The Living End go head to head fighting for the title. The modern legend and the GOAT going heads-up against each other, Michael van Gerwen vs Phil Taylor of deadpooling. Except I'm not autistic and you're not a convicted sex offender.

Finished my theme team and regular team!I am worried not all will make it to 1st January but oh well!

I've said it before, it's what the fans want, a year where DQSP and The Living End go head to head fighting for the title. The modern legend and the GOAT going heads-up against each other, Michael van Gerwen vs Phil Taylor of deadpooling. Except I'm not autistic and you're not a convicted sex offender.

I always like to have an Irishman (or woman), a folk/country musician, a religious leader and a criminal in my starting line up. Failure to stick to this policy in the past has led to poor results. Next year's team has all of the above, which gives me renewed optimism. However I am - genuinely - happy for others to win the competition, as I have nothing to prove in that respect. Even if I did dope for all three of my victories.

Re Phil Taylor, was that a Freudian slip? You've been thinking about his mother, haven't you? :ghost5:

Trash talk already. We could be in for quite a year...

I always like to have an Irishman (or woman), a folk/country musician, a religious leader and a criminal in my starting line up. Failure to stick to this policy in the past has led to poor results. Next year's team has all of the above, which gives me renewed optimism. However I am - genuinely - happy for others to win the competition, as I have nothing to prove in that respect. Even if I did dope for all three of my victories.

Re Phil Taylor, was that a Freudian slip? You've been thinking about his mother, haven't you? :ghost5:

That was never going to make it pass the Worlds, though. He'll be adding "me mum's in hospital so this is for her" to "me mate Ronnie O'Sullivan said to me" and "I'm 54-years-old you know?" to his post-match routine.

I've got no end of faultless lists of 10, 20, 25, 50, 68 and 100 names. The only problem I have is that too many survive the year in question every time. Just looking back to the first list I put together a certain Fidel Castro looms large. I ask you, how the hell he has not croaked in the last 10 years? when such as Hugo Charves was popping round every now and then, to see how he was, and yet Castro keeps motoring on like a 1950's yank tank of a local automobile.

Are we now limited to one theme team TMIB?

Are we now limited to one Theme Team TMIB?

I'll be dropping Valerie Harper - Like Clive James, I don't think she'll die in the next thirteen months. The cancer, though terminal, is progressing quite slowly.

On the Sandy Jardine Sods Law principle, both are nailed on obits in 2015 now I've said that.

Hi All, as an Australian deathlister I don't have any great feel for what sort of an Australian celebrity would get an obit in the relevant media agencies in Britain. I see Peter Harvey (a very well known journalist) scored an obit last year. Would your average well known Australian celebrity (who might not be known at all over there) be expected to get an obit?

I would say Australian Politicians and successful actors are likely to be obitable as are Australian born celebrities who have settled in the US or UK but I would be wary of picking Aussie celebs who are predominantly known in in Oz solely!

Has anyone submitted their teams yet or am I the only one?

Hi All, as an Australian deathlister I don't have any great feel for what sort of an Australian celebrity would get an obit in the relevant media agencies in Britain. I see Peter Harvey (a very well known journalist) scored an obit last year. Would your average well known Australian celebrity (who might not be known at all over there) be expected to get an obit?

The Daily Mail does have an Australia entertainment desk, so you'll probably do well in terms of Australian "stars" as well as reality show contestants. Probably wouldn't go betting too heavily on Oz members of parliament/AFL players though.

Harvey got his obit in the end? He was getting ignored long enough for the Guardian to get some complaints about it.

The Guardian overall seems to be your second best bet for an Aussie obit. (I know Harvey's mostly came from having a stint with it though) Before his death in October, I was strongly considering putting Bob Such, an Aussie MP who was one of only I think two incumbent independents, on my team for next year largely because Guardian covered his diagnosis of brain cancer. His death only got a Yahoo UK shout immediately but did get a few Guardian mentions recently when the election to replace him started up.