Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2015

Right, here we go again.

First the Rules & Scoring:

HOW TO ENTER:

The DDP will start accepting entries from Sunday 7th December 2014.

The entry period will officially close at 23:59 GMT on 31st December 2014. There follows a period where entries sent in the hours after that time will be entered at the host's discretion. The absolute deadline for that is 11:00 GMT on 1st January 2015. After that then the entry window is definitely closed!

Simply send a list of 20 names and a maximum of 3 substitutes to ddp2015@derbydeadpool.co.uk, along with your team name and an email address to be contacted by.

Important note: The joker will be the first name on your list and will be accepted by the host as such, so make sure your joker is top of the list!

Should one or more of your choices croak it before 31st December 2014, then a substitute will replace him/her. Should the premature death be a joker,

then the host will email you asking for a replacement joker from the existing list.

Once you have sent your list, apart from the above matter arising, the host will not accept any wholesale changes. One you've entered, that's pretty much it!

When the host has received your email, a message will be sent confirming this. Don't expect a full confirmation of the team you have entered until

very late in the year/ early new year, depending on when you enter.

You will be contacted by the host for any queries regarding the names of the picks and what they do, if they are among the more obscure picks.

If you are entering again, but with a different team name, let the host know what your previous team name was.

Please indicate if you are entering a theme team.

THE BASICS:

Pick 20 different celebrities who are alive as at 1st January 2015, but who, in your opinion, will no longer be with us by 31st December 2015.

Nominate one of them as your "joker".

For each celeb demise that you guess correctly, you'll score points, and if your joker sadly passes away, your grief will be alleviated by the fact that you'll score double points.

We'll keep you updated via email every time someone scores points, and there will be a (usually) up-to-date scoreboard on the website.

The team with the most points at the end of the year will, unsurprisingly, be deemed to be the winner.

In the event of a dead heat on points, the winner will be selected according to the following criteria, applied in this order:

The most hits (i.e. correctly-chosen deceased celebs).

The youngest average age of hits.

The most amusing team name.

THE RULES:

All entrants must supply a team name and a valid email address. We will never reveal your email address to anyone else.

All of your chosen celebs must be:

Human.

At least 18 years old as at 1st January 2015.

Prisoners on "Death Row" i.e. awaiting state execution can only score points if they die of other causes.

Picks that are on trial or are put on trial and are found guilty and executed are not disqualified but will not claim the unnatural points bonus.

Actual real-life people, not characters out of soap operas and the like.

Named individuals, not just "Pope Wotsisface" or "the oldest person in the world".

Players must not murder their chosen celebs. That's cheating, and cheating is wrong.

The date of death is taken as that in the country/region where the person died, i.e. local time is used.

If the time of death is reported as exactly midnight local time, the date of the day just beginning is used. This may be relevant in deciding bonuses (see below).

DEFINITIONS:

"Celebrity" means someone who, upon their death, gets a written obituary in a British national newspaper or on the BBC News website.

This does mean that you can't always be sure when picking your team whether each person will be famous enough or not, but that's all part of the game.

"Obituary" simply means an article which mentions the fact that the person has died. It doesn't have to be the conventional biographical write-up.

"Alive" means drawing breath, not decomposing, that kind of thing.

"No longer with us" is the opposite of the above!

"Death" means the transition from the former to the latter. The death of a career (e.g. Michael Barrymore) doesn't count.

SCORING:

The value of the basic death depends on the person's age:

18-29 years: 12 points

30-49 years: 10 points

50-59 years: 9 points

60-69 years: 8 points

70-79 years: 7 points

80-89 years: 6 points

90-99 years: 5 points

100-109 years: 4 points

110+ years: 3 points

On top of this, bonus points are awarded as follows:

Unique pick: +3 if you were the only competitor to pick that person.

Unlucky 13: +2 for a celeb who dies on the 13th of any month.

Unnatural causes: +3 for murder, suicide or accident (but not State executions).

Party pooper: +5 for a celeb who dies on their birthday or Xmas Day.

Joker: Take the total of all the above and double it.

• Like 1

Now the Procedure:

I really need these entries to be as little problematic as possible. Because of this, the actual confirmation of your teams will probably occur at a much later time. When I receive your submission, I will send out an email confirming this, but if you have submitted early, there may well be a wait for the actual confirmation of the team in the competition, so I count on your patience. If there are any thorny issues, I shall let you know.

On the rules & scoring page, there is a link to a generated email where everything is set out for you. All you have to do is fill it in and send. It couldn’t be easier. If you have any trouble let me know.

All I want is a team name, an email address, 20 nominations and a maximum of 3 subs. Make sure you have 20 different names and they all alive at the time you send the email out. Make sure the spelling is correct and if the choices are obscure, that I am made aware of who they are (no need to explain who Ronnie Biggs is for example, but if it's his brother-in-law or something, I probably do need to know). Also bear in mind there are some celebrities with similar or even identical names (Roger Taylor the tennis player and Roger Taylor the drummer of Queen for example) as well as distinguishing members of the same family with near-identical names (the Bush's). All this makes my job a lot easier.

Also put your subs in order so if one choice snuffs it, then I'll immediately replace them with the first sub on the list. I will inform you of this change when it happens.

Remember, the nominated joker is the one at the top of your list!

There is no reason to change the joker unless he/she carks it before December 31st, when I’ll ask you to nominate one. When you make the choice of joker, you have to stick to it. The same goes for the rest of the team. If you are re-entering under a different name, let me know what the previous name was for my records. If it's a theme team, let me know that it is, even if seems obvious looking at the list. You can enter theme and normal teams at your leisure, but put them as separate emails please, makes it better for me to count back on the ones I've received if there are any issues. There is a maximum number of 3 teams per individual (can be any combination of normal and theme teams) although I know in some cases that certain emails will contain many teams as part of a "syndicate" of different teams.

Here is what to do to send an entry to Derby Dead Pool 2015:

Team Name: Put your team name here. Make sure it’s original!

Joker (Pick 1): Will win double points should they cark it.

Pick 2: AN Other etc (try not adding Sirs/Dames etc).

Pick 3: If they are on the obscure side, maybe a word or about who they are.

Pick 4: Similar named celebs (Roger Taylor, Frank Williams etc) Let me know which one!

Pick 5: Make sure they are still alive!

Pick 6: Make sure they are all different. No Duplicates please.

Pick 7: Make sure they are all different. No Duplicates please.

Pick 8: See, I told you to make sure they are different!

Pick 9: Don’t add too many “middle” names (James Paul McCartney etc).

Pick 10: Unless of course they are known by their full name (Jerry Lee Lewis etc).

Pick 11:

Pick 12:

Pick 13:

Pick 14:

Pick 15:

Pick 16:

Pick 17:

Pick 18:

Pick 19:

Pick 20:

Reserve Pick(s): A maximum of three picks. Put them in order so if any celeb goes before December 31st, then the next one will come next into the list. Should the Joker die, the replacement has to be from the remaining 19.

Additional Information (alternative emails etc): Have you entered before and want to change the team name? Are you a theme team? Do you want the regular emails to go somewhere else?

Also put your subs in order so if one choice snuffs it, then I'll immediately replace them with the first sub on the list. I will inform you of this change when it happens.

Remember, the nominated joker is the one at the top of your list!

There is a maximum number of 3 teams per individual (can be any combination of normal and theme teams) although I know in some cases that certain emails will contain many teams as part of a "syndicate" of different teams.

Unless there are mitigating circumstances, once you’ve entered your team that is it. No follow up emails asking for radical changes.

List of acceptable British obits:

BBC (and that is any section that carries news items (News, Sport, Entertainment). If there is a celeb that is mentioned having died or is dead, then it counts and that includes items mentioned on the radio and television (as long as there is evidence of this - iplayer etc) In most cases these are followed up on news pages.

Sky (Sky News and Sky Sports - same as the Beeb - a link to a visual mention of a celeb death is acceptable).

Reuters UK

ITV/ITN (same as BBC/Sky)

Channel 4 (same as BBC/Sky)

STV

UTV

Times/Sunday Times

Guardian/Observer

Telegraph

Independent

Mail Online

Daily/Sunday Express

Evening Standard

Sun

Mirror

Daily Star

Financial Times

Scotsman

Herald Scotland

Daily Record

Morning Star

Huffington Post UK

MSN UK

Yahoo UK

Are we allowed one or two theme teams?

You are allowed a "maximum" of three teams in any combination (1 regular, 2 theme or 3 theme or you get the general idea). I'm going to be flexible about teams as it all depends on the amount and flow of the teams that come in...

• Like 1

I've just read an email asking about the eligibility of IS hostages and whether they will be accepted as nominations for the DDP.

This is a tricky situation, so I'm going to cogitate on the matter and I'm open to any suggestions or solutions before coming up with a definitive stance on the subject.

I've just read an email asking about the eligibility of IS hostages and whether they will be accepted as nominations for the DDP.

This is a tricky situation, so I'm going to cogitate on the matter and I'm open to any suggestions or solutions before coming up with a definitive stance on the subject.

At a first glance their unfortunate position is similar to deathrow inmates. The way DDP rules treat those seems a bit harsh for IS hostages, although survival rate of them is low. A grisly list of casualties who might have been picks:

• James Foley. Abducted 22 November 2012, beheaded 19 August 2014
  • Steven Sotloff. Abducted 4 August 2013, beheaded 2 September, 2014
  • David Haines. Abducted ? March 2013, beheaded 13 September 2014
  • Hervé Gourdel. Abducted 21 September 2014, beheaded 24 September 2014
  • Alan Henning. Abducted 26 December 2013, beheaded 3 October 2014
  • Peter Kassig. Abducted 1 October 2013, beheaded 16 November 2014

Dates may be imprecise. List and data from Wikipedia.

I have no list of living people known to be IS captives, so there's a bit of reseach left.

regards,

Hein

You are allowed a "maximum" of three teams in any combination (1 regular, 2 theme or 3 theme or you get the general idea). I'm going to be flexible about teams as it all depends on the amount and flow of the teams that come in...

Noted and submitted and best of luck TMIB!

I have no list of living people known to be IS captives, so there's a bit of reseach left.

John Cantlie, for one.

Possibly Austin Tice as well.

If ISIS hostages are ineligable I can always sub Cantile with someone who has ties with the fictional Isiswoodhouse-char.jpg

Personally I think it's fair play to rule either for or against them being permitted. I don't have a strong opinion for or against

I have sent an email off but I'll put it down here in case people don' get the email:

IS hostages are to be treated as death row inmates facing execution and therefore IS HOSTAGES ARE BANNED FROM BEING CHOSEN.

Any teams that have IS hostages in their lists will have to replace them.

Thank you.

• Like 2

Seeing as I realised all my picks have been mentioned numerous times on various threads and are mainly conservative or on most peoples radar, I am sharing my DDP entry and predict that 50% of the first two teams will end up on the drop 40.

Team Name: Shaun Of The Dead 69 (2nd year competitor)

Joker (Pick 1):Dr Kate Granger

Pick 2:Sam Simon

Pick 3:Kristen Hallenga

Pick 4:Helen Fawkes

Pick 5:Joost Van Der Westhuizen

Pick 6:Rob Ford

Pick 7:Daisy Berkowitz

Pick 8:Paul Gascoigne

Pick 9:Caroline Aherne

Pick 10:Shane MacGowan

Pick 11:Amanda Bynes

Pick 12:Jimmy Hill

Pick 13:Antony Booth

Pick 14:Leonard Nimoy

Pick 15:Freddie Starr

Pick 16:Glen Campbell

Pick 17:Muhammed Ali

Pick 18:Stephen Hawking

Pick 19:Bhumibol Aduladej

Pick 20:Mary Tyler Moore

Reserve Pick(s):

1)Peter Sutcliffe

2)Lynne Stewart

3)Liz Dawn

Team Name:Four Score Years and ten (Theme:Nonagenerians)

Joker (Pick 1):Zsa Zsa Gabor

Pick 2:Billy Graham

Pick 3:Olivia De Havilland

Pick 4:Vera Lynn

Pick 5:Denis Healey

Pick 6:Carol Channing

Pick 7:Abe Vigoda

Pick 8:Alan Young

Pick 9:Prince Philip Duke Of Edinburgh

Pick 10:Joao Havelange

Pick 11:Sheila Mercier

Pick 12:Peter Carrington

Pick 13:Jerry Maren

Pick 14:Maureen O`Hara

Pick 15:Liz Smith

Pick 16:Peter Sallis

Pick 17June Foray

Pick 18:Kirk Douglas

Pick 19:Sheila Sim

Pick 20:Nancy Reagan

Reserve Pick(s):

1)June Spencer

2)Peter O`Sullevan

Team Name: Three Digits is your limit (Theme Team 2 :Centenarians.I have described each in brief to make things easier .All have wiki pages except for the Chand`s.))

Joker (Pick 1):Douglas Slocombe (b 1913) British Cinematographer and Photo-Journalist.

Pick 2:Irving Kahn (b1905) Financial invester

Pick 3:Zhou Youguaung (b1906) Chinese Linguist founder of Pinyin.(A romanized system for Chinese Characters

Pick 4:Roy Douglas (B1907) British Composer,Worked with Vaughn Williams

Pick 5:Karam Chand (b1905) One of Britains oldest men and one half of the Worlds longest married couple.

Pick 6:Katari Chand (b1912) Wife of Karam .One half of the Worlds oldest married couple.Married in 1925 in India

Pick 7:Manoel De Oliviera(1908) Portugese Film Director

Pick 8:Sir Nicholas Winton (1909) British Humanitarian

Pick 9:Luise Rainer(1910) Two time Academy Award Winner

Pick 10:Lupita Tovar (b1910) Mexican-American actress .Starred in Spanish version of Dracula

Pick 11:Clare Hollingworth (1911) British Journalist first person to report WW2.

Pick 12:Ken Hechler (b1914) Former Congressman.Oldest Living former US Congressman

Pick 13:Irwin Corey(b1914) American Comedian "Worlds Foremost Authority

Pick 14:Norman Lloyd (b1914) American actor

Pick 15:Olaf Pooley( b 1914) British actor

Pick 16:Mary Carlisle(b 1914) American Actress

Pick 17:Evelyn Furtsch (1914) American Athlete

Pick 18:Roberta McCain(b1912) John McCain`s mother

Pick 19:Reinhard Hardegan(b1913) Nazi

Pick 20:Eileen Whelan (b1911) Cricketer

Reserve Pick(s):

Additional Information (alternative emails/new team name/theme etc):

1)M.H Abrams(1912) American Literary critic

2)Barys Kit(1910) Scientist

3)Elsie Tu (b1913) British Social Activist.Based in Hong Kong

Seeing as I realised all my picks have been mentioned numerous times on various threads and are mainly conservative or on most peoples radar, I am sharing my DDP entry and predict that 50% of the first two teams will end up on the drop 40.

Reserve Pick(s):

1)Peter Sutcliffe

2)Lynne Stewart

3)Liz Dawn

Pick 17June Foray

Reserve Pick(s):

1)June Spencer

2)Peter O`Sullevan

Team Name: Three Digits is your limit  (Theme Team 2 :Centenarians.I have described each in brief to make things easier .All have wiki pages except for the Chand`s.))

Joker (Pick 1):Douglas Slocombe (b 1913) British Cinematographer and Photo-Journalist.

Pick 3:Zhou Youguaung (b1906) Chinese Linguist founder of Pinyin.(A romanized system for Chinese Characters

Pick 5:Karam Chand (b1905) One of Britains oldest men and one half of the Worlds longest married couple.

Pick 6:Katari Chand (b1912) Wife of Karam .One half of the Worlds oldest married couple.Married in 1925 in India

Pick 10:Lupita Tovar (b1910) Mexican-American actress .Starred in Spanish version of Dracula

Pick 11:Clare Hollingworth (1911) British Journalist first person to report WW2.

Pick 12:Ken Hechler (b1914) Former Congressman.Oldest Living former US Congressman

Reserve Pick(s):

I can't believe I forgot Tony Booth. I only have two of those on my my list (Aherne and Ali) but I've decided that 2015 is going to be my last year at DDP so I've put some sillier choices in.

Reserve Pick(s):

1)Peter Sutcliffe

2)Lynne Stewart

3)Liz Dawn

Pick 17June Foray

Reserve Pick(s):

1)June Spencer

2)Peter O`Sullevan

Team Name: Three Digits is your limit (Theme Team 2 :Centenarians.I have described each in brief to make things easier .All have wiki pages except for the Chand`s.))

Reserve Pick(s):

I can't believe I forgot Tony Booth. I only have two of those on my my list (Aherne and Ali) but I've decided that 2015 is going to be my last year at DDP so I've put some sillier choices in.

What`s your DDP name?

Pooil Vaaish and I have two theme teams.

96 teams registered so far...

Who's the showrunner?

And because I'm speechless about my latest composition there hasn't been much .. production yet.

Just entered my first theme team for 2015. "Izanami Orders the California Roll" replacing my soon to be retired theme team "Bet on Black!". The Bedsoring '20s will return again, but I always take that team more seriously so it needs more thought.

Think i'll enter a theme team for the first time this year. Shall i just send the theme team the same way i would send my regular team TMIB ?

Also do i need another team name or shall i use the same one?

There's no hard and fast rule about this, although I'm leaning towards different themes being different "teams" even though the same player is involved. However, teams with the same name but that switch from theme to normal and vice-versa has happened before. So if you decide to turn Sovereign-Reaper into a theme team, then that's fine with me...

• Like 1

There's no hard and fast rule about this, although I'm leaning towards different themes being different "teams" even though the same player is involved. However, teams with the same name but that switch from theme to normal and vice-versa has happened before. So if you decide to turn Sovereign-Reaper into a theme team, then that's fine with me...

Am I okay to PM you my teams this year?

Hi i sent mine under different name think might be less confusing .The theme team i'm doing might continue to do it next year so makes sense for my theme team and main team to have different names.

Yeah, sure...

Yeah, sure...

I'd quite like to submit my team by fax, but I can't find a number on the site.

• Like 2