Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

3 minutes ago, TQR said:

I think I'm right in saying that all three deputy speaker positions are now vacant and need filling, what with Laing and Winterton having stood down and Evans having lost his seat.

Given that the PM hasn't given Emily Thornberry a ministerial position, I think she should put herself forward.

I can see her running for one or maybe a Committee chair instead. 

Hoyle re-elected Speaker

Not sure if he's strong enough to take on the likes of Farage, Anderson, etcc..  even with their small numbers they'll  be as disruptive and boorish as they can. 

Oh for a Betty Boothroyd type

• Like 1

Just now, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Oh for a Betty Boothroyd type

Thornberry please!

1 minute ago, The Old Crem said:

Not a chance Mandelson gets Washington. Miliband more likely. Could see Mandelson being made ambassador to the EU especially with his background as a former commisoner

• Like 1

Edward Leigh is Father of the House, elected since 1983. You know you're getting old when you can remember the election when he was a new MP!

I assume that means that there are no MPs that were elected in the 1970s?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

Edward Leigh is Father of the House, elected since 1983. You know you're getting old when you can remember the election when he was a new MP!

I assume that means that there are no MPs that were elected in the 1970s?

The last two MPs elected in the 1970s continuously were Barry Sheerman (who has retired) and Peter Bottomley (who stood knowing he'd lose his seat, getting some respect from me). Margaret Beckett had a previous run in the seventies too. All three gone now. Otherwise I think that's it. 

• Like 1

Labour’s Judith Cummins and Sharon Hodgson both running to be a deputy speaker.

27 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Not that it was ever in doubt mind. But he made sure of it on Day 1 no less

Been at school and busy watching Wimbledon - what's he done?

35 minutes ago, msc said:

The last two MPs elected in the 1970s continuously were Barry Sheerman (who has retired) and Peter Bottomley (who stood knowing he'd lose his seat, getting some respect from me). Margaret Beckett had a previous run in the seventies too. All three gone now. Otherwise I think that's it. 

Jeremy Corbyn is the deputy Father of the House followed by Roger Gale. David Davis and Diane Abbott have both served continuously since 1987. Christopher Chope was first elected in 1983 but missed 1992-1997 while Andrew Mitchell was first elected in 1987 but missed 1997-2001.

4 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Caroline Noakes has announced she is running for Deputy Speaker. 

Of course she is, she's a sensible, rational Tory, she hasn't got a hope of any actual political power in the current parliamentary party. Might as well do something useful instead.

• Like 1

Seems like it is all over for Braverman according to the Sun even her mentor John Hayes has abandoned her for Jenrick. 

Houchen sticking the boot into Bravermann on the BBC. Saying if the party elects her leader they'll be in opposition for a generation

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Houchen sticking the boot into Bravermann on the BBC. Saying if the party elects her leader they'll be in opposition for a generation

It be Jenrick I think. 

Leader of the Opposition Robert Jenrick. Riiight. Bet Sir Keir is quaking in his boots.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Haha 2

Starmer really didn’t rate a lot of the Labour shadow team did he. 

23 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Another issue for them is the seats the LD's in particular took off them

Look at some of the majorities the Lib Dems have in seats that were Tory a week ago. They're in a much safer position than at any point in my life now, not just in numbers but in the size of the majorities they've built up in a vast number of seats. 

Saw a really interesting graphic on Peston last night, showing a graph of all majorities in this election compared to the last two. Much more concentrated and less spread out than 2019 and 2017. Apparently the average majority in the new Parliament is around 6,500, down from 11,000 in the last Parliament. Far fewer safe seats in 2028-29.

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Starmer really didn’t rate a lot of the Labour shadow team did he. 

What are you talking about? He's gone from 202 Labour MPs to 411! Literally twice as many! You don't think some of them may be better qualified or more politically astute than some of those in the previous parliament? At least 2 former cabinet ministers were re-elected on Thursday, plus a number of Starmer loyalists and advisers. Hardly surprising some of them will quickly get ministerial posts. 

1 minute ago, RoverAndOut said:

What are you talking about? He's gone from 202 Labour MPs to 411! Literally twice as many! You don't think some of them may be better qualified or more politically astute than some of those in the previous parliament? At least 2 former cabinet ministers were re-elected on Thursday, plus a number of Starmer loyalists and advisers. Hardly surprising some of them will quickly get ministerial posts. 

Stop engaging with the idiot.

• Like 1