Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

On 02/06/2024 at 12:38, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Also coming from Non Dom Ashcroft......

I keep hearing about all these non-dom people. Personally, I've always used the term sub.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Douglas Ross says he will not stand as a candidate in the General Election.

Ross stands as candidate for Aberdeenshire North And Moray in the General Election.

Ross says he will stand down as Scottish Tory leader and if successful in the General Election will resign as an MSP.

You can tell when Ross is lying. His lips move.

15 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Ross says he will stand down as Scottish Tory leader

And nothing of value was lost.

16 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

if successful in the General Election will resign as an MSP.

Not sure he needs to worry about that. Heard staunch Tories in that area telling folk to vote SNP over Ross!

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, msc said:

Not sure he needs to worry about that. Heard staunch Tories in that area telling folk to vote SNP over Ross!

Well, that would be shocker. If he manages to lose that seat, it's over for that blue corner of the North East.

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Well, that would be shocker. If he manages to lose that seat, it's over for that blue corner of the North East.

It should be their safest seat in Scotland (well, without Teflon Mundell in it) but people really don't like what happened to Duguid. I think they'll still have the 3 borders seats and at least one of the North East (likely 2) but I am open to being pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Douglas Ross says he will not stand as a candidate in the General Election.

Ross stands as candidate for Aberdeenshire North And Moray in the General Election.

Ross says he will stand down as Scottish Tory leader and if successful in the General Election will resign as an MSP.

You can tell when Ross is lying. His lips move.

I mean, I'm not a overly keen follower of the nuts and bolts of Scottish devolution, but even I knew that a) being an MSP and an MP was frowned upon and b) Douglas Ross had made it very clear he'd be standing down as an MP at the end of his term. I don't understand how he thought he'd get away with this on any level. Or maybe he didn't intend to. Now the icing on the cake will be if he loses his Westminster seat and is reduced to a backbench MSP. :lol:

• Like 1

Choose.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Baroness May..

Even with all the shite around him he still tried to push Sharp into the HoL......

No problem with May getting one, she's been a committed parliamentarian for nearly 30 years and was perfectly happy to go on the backbenches after her term as prime minister ended, the first to do so in quite some time (Brown served until 2015 but May actually fought another election after leaving office). She's already styled The Lady May as her husband's a Knight, now she'll be titled in her own right.

Least said about Sharp the better, glad he's been refused.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

No problem with May getting one, she's been a committed parliamentarian for nearly 30 years and was perfectly happy to go on the backbenches after her term as prime minister ended, the first to do so in quite some time (Brown served until 2015 but May actually fought another election after leaving office). She's already styled The Lady May as her husband's a Knight, now she'll be titled in her own right.

Least said about Sharp the better, glad he's been refused.

First ex-PM to do this since Callaghan in 1983. Heath fought many elections after his exit from Number 10 in 1974. Of course Truss is doing the same this time...

The Lady May sounds like a b-side to a 1960s Baroque pop single!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

First ex-PM to do this since Callaghan in 1983. Heath fought many elections after his exit from Number 10 in 1974. Of course Truss is doing the same this time...

The Lady May sounds like a b-side to a 1960s Baroque pop single!

My instinct was Callaghan, but I didn't have it to hand so left it vague. Heath left office in 1974 but fought every election until 2001! By which time he was Father of the House. Of those who lost elections, Major stayed on until 2001 and Brown until 2015. Blair left office immediately and Cameron quit after a year on the backbenches.

I think Truss is the first one amongst them to think she somehow still has a future as a top level government minister in the future! Surely the only reason she's standing again. Delusional.

590052243_Image16-06-2024at18_24.thumb.jpeg.9e4e26583e63cdbd96dd9fc98a3e0c69.jpeg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

My instinct was Callaghan, but I didn't have it to hand so left it vague. Heath left office in 1974 but fought every election until 2001! By which time he was Father of the House. Of those who lost elections, Major stayed on until 2001 and Brown until 2015. Blair left office immediately and Cameron quit after a year on the backbenches.

I think Truss is the first one amongst them to think she somehow still has a future as a top level government minister in the future! Surely the only reason she's standing again. Delusional.

Cameron lasted 8 weeks on the backbenchers most of which was summer recess. It felt like he basically stayed for the time he expected to still be PM for before Leadsom pulled out of the leadership race and May was crowned.