Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

So we all need to pretend to like the Tories for one week in march to trick Sunak into calling an election? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Brad252 said:

Given how close we are to the GE, it will be very easy to highlight Galloway's blatant opportunism and lack of care for x area he's standing in by suddenly changing seats to be a candidate in. He's also supposedly standing for London Mayor, if he goes ahead with that then this will definitely highlight his behaviour.

‘George Galloway’s campaign manager James Giles tells GB News that the newly-elected MP will not be standing for the London mayoralty in May ‘

Galloway's clearly exploited the fact that hardly anyone bothers voting in byelections besides people who really really care about politics (which for them means the 'flavour of the day' issue, whatever that is). That's why candidates like him don't stand a chance at the general elections when the more moderate majority turn out. That said, I never would have seen this coming two weeks ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sod's Law said:

Galloway's clearly exploited the fact that hardly anyone bothers voting in byelections besides people who really really care about politics (which for them means the 'flavour of the day' issue, whatever that is). That's why candidates like him don't stand a chance at the general elections when the more moderate majority turn out. That said, I never would have seen this coming two weeks ago. 

Yep. Before Azhar Ali's gaffe dump, this wasn't really a possibility.

What I like is that people are saying that Galloway's victory is such a disaster for Labour, forgetting of course that the Tories came third in a place where Labour essentially withdrew their candidacy and Reform was nowhere.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TQR said:

Yep. Before Azhar Ali's gaffe dump, this wasn't really a possibility.

What I like is that people are saying that Galloway's victory is such a disaster for Labour, forgetting of course that the Tories came third in a place where Labour essentially withdrew their candidacy and Reform was nowhere.

It's just completely bizarre and ironic that the Labour leadership deselected Ali because they didn't like what he said about Israel, and now Rochdale has ended up with an MP who's views on Israel are far more... erm... 'outspoken' than Ali ever would have been. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

It's just completely bizarre and ironic that the Labour leadership deselected Ali because they didn't like what he said about Israel, and now Rochdale has ended up with an MP who's views on Israel are far more... erm... 'outspoken' than Ali ever would have been. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Well they didn’t have any option. They couldn’t continue to campaign with him without looking like it’s was back to the Corbyn era. 

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Well they didn’t have any option. They couldn’t continue to campaign with him without looking like it’s was back to the Corbyn era. 

Rishi and his rabble at the only people still dragging up the old Corbyn-based attacks on him at this point. I think Keir Starmer has already made his point very loud and clear that he's not Jeremy Corbyn. He couldn't look any less like Corbyn if he draped himself in the Israeli flag and made 'for the few, not the many' his campaign slogan. There's nothing wrong with being pragmatic but it can be like Buridan's ass sometimes. There's a point where it becomes self-harming. Before he made his decision, he should have taken a look at the other crazies on the ballot paper who'd be let loose if Labour had pulled out (which is what happened in the end).

15 hours ago, Sod's Law said:

Rishi and his rabble at the only people still dragging up the old Corbyn-based attacks on him at this point. I think Keir Starmer has already made his point very loud and clear that he's not Jeremy Corbyn. He couldn't look any less like Corbyn if he draped himself in the Israeli flag and made 'for the few, not the many' his campaign slogan. There's nothing wrong with being pragmatic but it can be like Buridan's ass sometimes. There's a point where it becomes self-harming. Before he made his decision, he should have taken a look at the other crazies on the ballot paper who'd be let loose if Labour had pulled out (which is what happened in the end).

I don’t think that would have washed in this case. Not after the second set of revelations about him.

Jeremy Hunt basically saying he wants the Tax Cuts to be binding on Labour.

Wait...

Did I just hear Jeremy Hunt say that Labour spend more and tax more?

From a Government that has the highest tax take since WWII? From a Government that borrowed more than any Government?

Gaslighting at its finest. 

56 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Wait...

Did I just hear Jeremy Hunt say that Labour spend more and tax more?

From a Government that has the highest tax take since WWII? From a Government that borrowed more than any Government?

Gaslighting at its finest. 

Taxing more to spend more is surely a good thing, as long as the tax burden falls in the right areas.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, time said:

Taxing more to spend more is surely a good thing, as long as the tax burden falls in the right areas.

Fair dos. But it's this lot who have taxed more and what do we have to show for it?

Oh, that;s right, they taxed us so they could line their own pockets and those of their millionaire friends. While 3% of the country is on foodbanks, rising child poverty, schools and hospitals collapsing etc etc. 

Where have all taxes gone? The Tories took them one by one. Oh when will you ever learn?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Fair dos. But it's this lot who have taxed more and what do we have to show for it?

Oh, that;s right, they taxed us so they could line their own pockets and those of their millionaire friends. While 3% of the country is on foodbanks, rising child poverty, schools and hospitals collapsing etc etc. 

Where have all taxes gone? The Tories took them one by one. Oh when will you ever learn?

Is this directed at me specifically or just a question to the general populace? Maybe I should have added "and spent in the right areas", but I thought that was a given.

3 minutes ago, time said:

Is this directed at me specifically or just a question to the general populace? Maybe I should have added "and spent in the right areas", but I thought that was a given.

No, it was a general you as in the actual song (Where have all the flowers gone?). ;)

Can we have James Hennessy added to the dead of the DDP with a QO meantime?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

No, it was a general you as in the actual song (Where have all the flowers gone?). ;)

Can we have James Hennessy added to the dead of the DDP with a QO meantime?

Sorry, missed the reference due to being filled with (unwarrented) indignation ;)

Missed the Hennessy QO yesterday, sorry 'bout that.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, time said:

Sorry, missed the reference due to being filled with (unwarrented) indignation ;)

Missed the Hennessy QO yesterday, sorry 'bout that.

Acht, text is terrible for nuance, and if some don't know the song...

I try to be as clear as possible, sometimes it's hard when you have to jot something rolling around the old noggin.

8 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Acht, text is terrible for nuance, and if some don't know the song...

I try to be as clear as possible, sometimes it's hard when you have to jot something rolling around the old noggin.

We're not all quite so ancient, Willz... ;):lol:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

We're not all quite so ancient, Willz... ;):lol:

I have wisdom beyond my years. And there's a lot of those behind me!

I'm like a fine wine. Locked in a cool cellar and rattling when the wind blows.

• Haha 1

Looks like the Chancellor is going for NI cuts and Labour are backing them and scrapping plans for things like free breakfast clubs. 

• Shocked 1

New Ipsos polling puts Tories at 20%, roughly Liz Truss levels. Electoral Calculus show here what this would mean in the event of a GE:

IMG_9365.thumb.jpeg.9c24ce58f70310e50b18638ab5c513ec.jpeg

Now, you don’t need to tell me that these figures are the stuff of dreams and the likelihood of this actually happening is microscopic. But consider this: the more these Tory doomsday predictions are shared, the more this’ll mobilise the opposition vote; who wouldn’t want to do their bit to achieve this kind of seismic result?

• Like 4

The Tories as the 3rd party is something worth dreaming about.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AstroKat said:

The Tories as the 3rd party is something worth dreaming about.

Leader of His Majesty’s Official Opposition, Ed Davey. Yep, that sounds good to me!

• Like 3

Mirroring that view, Conservative minister Bim Afolami told ITV's Good Morning Britain: "We're going to have to endure him and that is really the fault of the Labour party."

This is in relation to Galloway being sworn in. Got to love that the Tories are blaming this on Labour - what happened to trying to get the blue candidate elected, Bim? :rolleyes:

56 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Mirroring that view, Conservative minister Bim Afolami told ITV's Good Morning Britain: "We're going to have to endure him and that is really the fault of the Labour party."

This is in relation to Galloway being sworn in. Got to love that the Tories are blaming this on Labour - what happened to trying to get the blue candidate elected, Bim? :rolleyes:

They came third to Galloway and some Independent I’ve never heard of. They weren’t far ahead of Labour’s withdrawn candidate. Get in the bin, Bim.

• Like 1