Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

You English and your private water suppliers!

Did I just hear Michael Gove slagging the water companies off? The water companies created under the Tories? The water companies who for years have been filling your rivers and beaches with your shite? 

You know what, Michael? That's what happens when you leave it to the free market. That's what happens when you go back to a Victorian system of management. Albeit the Victorians were much more philanthropic in their individual water systems.

Has Gove been in a coma for 14 years? (We know he hasn't, but that's what it sounds like - or electioneering!).

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

You English and your private water suppliers!

Did I just hear Michael Gove slagging the water companies off? The water companies created under the Tories? The water companies who for years have been filling your rivers and beaches with your shite? 

You know what, Michael? That's what happens when you leave it to the free market. That's what happens when you go back to a Victorian system of management. Albeit the Victorians were much more philanthropic in their individual water systems.

Has Gove been in a coma for 14 years? (We know he hasn't, but that's what it sounds like - or electioneering!).

Sadly, this is not just confined to the privatised English water companies.

https://news.stv.tv/scotland/sewage-dumped-in-scotlands-rivers-and-lochs-more-than-600-hours-a-day-in-2023 (Who's going to tell the PA journos that there are only 24 hours in a day?).

I'm fully in agreement with your comments re Gove. That Colombian marching powder has affected his memory or summat.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, time said:

Sadly, this is not just confined to the privatised English water companies.

https://news.stv.tv/scotland/sewage-dumped-in-scotlands-rivers-and-lochs-more-than-600-hours-a-day-in-2023 (Who's going to tell the PA journos that there are only 24 hours in a day?).

I'm fully in agreement with your comments re Gove. That Colombian marching powder has affected his memory or summat.

Oh I agree Scotland has issues. 

But that article also says 87 per cent of Scottish water bodies have a good or high water quality and despite the higher rainfall that figure had increased from 82 percent previously. There's no incentive to lie to the regulators when both are publicly owned.

What, dare I ask, is the equivalent percentage in England, knowing that the water companies have been lying about their pollution? Take that percentage for England and say, reduce it by half? Feargal "Undertones" Sharkey seems to think there isn't a river, lake or beach unaffected by sewage.

On 27/03/2024 at 15:18, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Finger on the pulse of the electorate

Important update

GJtVIfUWQAAgMQB.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

But that article also says 87 per cent of Scottish water bodies have a good or high water quality and despite the higher rainfall that figure had increased from 82 percent previously. There's no incentive to lie to the regulators when both are publicly owned.

What, dare I ask, is the equivalent percentage in England, knowing that the water companies have been lying about their pollution? Take that percentage for England and say, reduce it by half? Feargal "Undertones" Sharkey seems to think there isn't a river, lake or beach unaffected by sewage.

I've thought for a long time that the whole idea of privatising something as essential to life as water could only have dreamt up by someone who really hated the human race. It's like a grotesque mockery of free market capitalism with all of the drawbacks and none of the benefits. Whatever your opinions on the privatisation of gas/electricity, at least you can change suppliers if you're not happy with the service you're provided with. If you're not happy with your water supplier, then where can you go? Why even have privatisation without some kind of free market element? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

34 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

I've thought for a long time that the whole idea of privatising something as essential to life as water could only have dreamt up by someone who really hated the human race. It's like a grotesque mockery of free market capitalism with all of the drawbacks and none of the benefits. Whatever your opinions on the privatisation of gas/electricity, at least you can change suppliers if you're not happy with the service you're provided with. If you're not happy with your water supplier, then where can you go? Why even have privatisation without some kind of free market element? 

I wouldn't argue with any figure Sharkey states - he's far more knowledgeable on the subject than me.

Privatisation of water supply was the most egregious of all the privatisations of the Thatcher era. Purely ideological reasoning.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Gonna run one of the most important cities in the world - can't even fill in the application forms properly. What a melt. :lol:

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

The Green Party in America does this all the time, seemingly on purpose. They can't file their paperwork properly or on time; then when absentee ballots are mailed out, they cry that those should be tossed out and new ones should be mailed with them on there.

What are these arbitrary honours handed out? 

Not an official birthday, new year or resignation.

You can imagine the conversation.

"Oi, Your Majesty, I know you are ill and all...but I've decided to give my Tory colleagues and a huuuuuge donor to my party Knighthoods and Damehoods".

"Ah Rishi, I'm just nipping out for some chemo..."

"Ah wait, what if I sweeten the pot with Christopher Nolan and his missus?"

"Ask Camilla, I really am busy, I'll sign anything when I get back."

"Oi Camilla, how about this list then? Look, I've included the Nolans."

"Oh I love I'm In The Mood For Dancing." signs off.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

What are these arbitrary honours handed out? 

Not an official birthday, new year or resignation.

You can imagine the conversation.

"Oi, Your Majesty, I know you are ill and all...but I've decided to give my Tory colleagues and a huuuuuge donor to my party Knighthoods and Damehoods".

"Ah Rishi, I'm just nipping out for some chemo..."

"Ah wait, what if I sweeten the pot with Christopher Nolan and his missus?"

"Ask Camilla, I really am busy, I'll sign anything when I get back."

"Oi Camilla, how about this list then? Look, I've included the Nolans."

"Oh I love I'm In The Mood For Dancing." signs off.

The Nolan and his missus one's are very odd. Not like they couldn't have been done on the Kings Birthday list.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

The Nolan and his missus one's are very odd. Not like they couldn't have been done on the Kings Birthday list.

Clearly done just to make the others seem less conspicuous, like that would actually work. Makes me wonder why he couldn't wait for the birthday honours for all of these, though, unless Rishi doesn't think he'll still be in office come June, when those announcements are made. Makes you think...

• Like 5

Let's have another look at La-La Land

_133046634_dexpress-nc.png.webp

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Voting for Farage will stop Brexit! We've come full circle. :lol:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Voting for Farage will stop Brexit! We've come full circle. :lol:

Yeah, I saw a guy who was once a professional satirist in the shopping centre today

Didn't throw him any change, mind

• Haha 2

Screenshot_20240330-214331_Facebook.thumb.jpg.c5eb71d520cbb6c47f56eb151123d6b9.jpg

Popped up on Facebook. If you're going to claim a woke conspiracy, at least make sure your evidence is doctored to back up your point. :facepalm::lol:

Fairly detailed predictions of a dire election for the Tories in today's Sunday Times. Portillo moments aplenty if this is realised, Sunak, Hunt, Mordaunt and Schapps all likely taking note and wondering how regularly they'll be washing their underwear in the coming months. 

Safe seats in this tsunami include that of Kemi Badenoch, though - ironically - the poll suggests if she replaced Sunak before the big vote their fortunes would tank even further! 

Oh aye, and, as I was discussing elsewhere a few minutes back, Liz Truss likely gets to serve again!

_133052330_times-nc.png.webp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Fairly detailed predictions of a dire election for the Tories in today's Sunday Times. Portillo moments aplenty if this is realised, Sunak, Hunt, Mordaunt and Schapps all likely taking note and wondering how regularly they'll be washing their underwear in the coming months. 

Safe seats in this tsunami include that of Kemi Badenoch, though - ironically - the poll suggests if she replaced Sunak before the big vote their fortunes would tank even further! 

Oh aye, and, as I was discussing elsewhere a few minutes back, Liz Truss likely gets to serve again!

_133052330_times-nc.png.webp

Would be amazing if this happens but even with all the shit going on still not buying that the likes of Sunak and Cunt will lose their seats.

5 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Would be amazing if this happens but even with all the shit going on still not buying that the likes of Sunak and Cunt will lose their seats.

I'd certainly not rule out Cunt losing his seat. Tbh I kind of hope Sunak keeps his seat, just to add extra inconvenience to his inevitable fucking off to America after his devastating defeat.

The Lib Dem’s don’t seem to be polling high enough nationally to win Hunt’s seat. 

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

The Lib Dem’s don’t seem to be polling high enough nationally to win Hunt’s seat. 

They don't need to be polling high nationally, just in Surrey, that's how general elections work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

They don't need to be polling high nationally, just in Surrey, that's how general elections work.

Aye, and the polls are still largely presented as national whilst we've seen in those by-election Tory massacres of late that there's more tactical voting (pretty much anti-Tory) when people really give a shit. It's pretty well known  around Maidstone, for example, that the Lib Dems have Helen Grant in their sights, they tried without success to argue that anyone opposed to the Tories should vote Lib Dem to oust her in 2019. I'm thinking that's an argument that might work now. My local borough councillor has been Tory for years, in fact I think the ward's always been that way, but in May last year the local Green had a leaflet campaign arguing that he could beat the Tories if everyone other than a Tory voted for him, and he won. 

37 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

My local borough councillor has been Tory for years, in fact I think the ward's always been that way, but in May last year the local Green had a leaflet campaign arguing that he could beat the Tories if everyone other than a Tory voted for him, and he won. 

Our ward councillor is Green. Extremely hard-working and conscientious.  They are standing as the Green candidate in the GE but won't get my vote as too valuable on a local level!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, and the polls are still largely presented as national whilst we've seen in those by-election Tory massacres of late that there's more tactical voting (pretty much anti-Tory) when people really give a shit. It's pretty well known  around Maidstone, for example, that the Lib Dems have Helen Grant in their sights, they tried without success to argue that anyone opposed to the Tories should vote Lib Dem to oust her in 2019. I'm thinking that's an argument that might work now. My local borough councillor has been Tory for years, in fact I think the ward's always been that way, but in May last year the local Green had a leaflet campaign arguing that he could beat the Tories if everyone other than a Tory voted for him, and he won. 

I think the X Factor in this election is how much the electorate want to punish the Tories. There's not a hugely positive message coming from Labour (not least because the amount of wriggle room they've got in office is virtually non-existent thanks to the Tories) so the shy Tories could easily stay put. But if there's a strong anti-Tory sentiment, then votes could leach to the closest party all over the place, helping Labour and the Lib Dems to win seats all over the country. On the flip side, there's not much positivity to get Tory voters to the polls, and if they stay away then that's when 1997-style drubbings come into play.

Sooooo.

The Tories' conversion to abolish the non-dom status and thus steal Labour's clothes turns out to be yet another fraud on the UK: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/31/tory-plans-to-abolish-non-dom-status-riddled-with-loopholes-labour-says

Sunak once again will benefit hugely from the loopholes as will many of his super rich friends.

Smacks of the so-called windfall tax on the energy producers which, as we all know, the Tories filled with loopholes so the major suppliers pay little to nothing in this windfall tax.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. 

Cunts.

• Like 3