Sign in to follow this  
Bibliogryphon

Sir John Hurt

Don't you lot have your own forums you can go to?

It is a curious fact but there seems to be quite a lot of Doctor Who fans inhabiting this site and most British actors have some loose connection with Doctor Who and so the thread has plenety of food to keep it going.It is also a sad fact that if you have ever been in the presence of more than one Doctor Who fan at once it is difficult to get them to shut up on thier favorite topic.
This topic did indeed start its forum life as a Doctor Who discussion.Many DW episodes were broadcast (with subtitles in Dutch) on Dutch TV. Early episodes I don't remember, but from the 1970's I've enjoyed DW thoroughly, several times from behind the sofa. I didn´t learn that many more people did and do the same, until this topic was started here.I declare Doctor Who on topic.regards,Hein

I invoke past precedent from Moderator Hein. :)

Shouldn't this discussion be on the sci-fi TV thread? It's not really about John Hurt, is it?

Should have it's own really...

Doctor Who (not Doctor Who)

And Doctor Who

And we get clowned on this forum for discussing wrestling?

• Like 1

Ever seen Frontios? Peter Arne was cast in the role which later went to Peter Gilmore (of Onedin Line and DDP List of the Missed 2013 fame). Arne, who had a long held ambition to be in Who, was murdered shortly before recording. He had his Dr Who costume fitting on the day of the murder.

Peter Arne was due to play Mr Range and his role went to the still living William Lucas.

On the subject of Michael Grade I would invoke an anecdote by Richard O' Brien who during the Grade's reign at Channel 4 where The Crystal Maze was the most watched programme Grade would virtually ignore the creative team at events because he personally disliked the show. He does not seem to be a 'nice' man

• Like 1

Ever seen Frontios? Peter Arne was cast in the role which later went to Peter Gilmore (of Onedin Line and DDP List of the Missed 2013 fame). Arne, who had a long held ambition to be in Who, was murdered shortly before recording. He had his Dr Who costume fitting on the day of the murder.

Peter Arne was due to play Mr Range and his role went to the still living William Lucas.

On the subject of Michael Grade I would invoke an anecdote by Richard O' Brien who during the Grade's reign at Channel 4 where The Crystal Maze was the most watched programme Grade would virtually ignore the creative team at events because he personally disliked the show. He does not seem to be a 'nice' man

Chris Morris agrees... The following is a still of a subliminal message inserted into an episode of Brass Eye.

Grade.gif

• Like 3

I was hoping to do some research to provide a legitimate reason why Doctor Who is more important than wrestling by going back through the DL hits and seeing how many of them had appeared in Doctor Who compared with how many were wrestlers.

The results do not disprove my theory but it is by no means a crushing blow.

Doctor Who 2 (Anna Wing & Michael Gough)

Wrestling 0

However I have decided to inflate the Doctor Who score to five because Michael Gough played two different roles and I am including Roy Castle and Mary Whitehouse

So 5 - nil. In ashes term that is a whitewash

I was hoping to do some research to provide a legitimate reason why Doctor Who is more important than wrestling by going back through the DL hits and seeing how many of them had appeared in Doctor Who compared with how many were wrestlers.

Wrestling 0

However I have decided to inflate the Doctor Who score to five because Michael Gough played two different roles and I am including Roy Castle and Mary Whitehouse

You are forgetting perhaps one of the DL's most-discussed picks was also a grappler (in the legal sense of the term):

jimmy-saville-wrestling-poster.jpg

Wrestling 0

You are forgetting perhaps one of the DL's most-discussed picks was also a grappler (in the legal sense of the term):

jimmy-saville-wrestling-poster.jpg

But not a hit.

What year is that from Tuesday 28th March occured in 1950, 1961 or 1967.

Judging by the main event match, I'd say 1967. Gilmour didn't debut until 1962 and I don't think that "The French Teddy Boys" (an anglicised bastardisation of their real name Les Blousons Noirs) came over to the UK until the late 60s. Leon Arras was, of course, the ring name of Brian Glover.

Cough, whatever their relative merits neither Doctor Who nor wrestling are John Hurt, cough.

Considering the rather camp nature of both subjects, there's the tantalising possibility of a match-up. Dusty Rhodes would have made a decent villain in JN-T era Who for example...

• Like 1

Cough, whatever their relative merits neither Doctor Who nor wrestling are John Hurt, cough.

But John Hurt is Doctor Who

• Like 1

John Hurt was The Doctor. More specifically he was the War Doctor in the episode "The Day of The Doctor". "Doctor Who?" is the question that gets asked when he replies when asked his name.

John Hurt was The Doctor. More specifically he was the War Doctor in the episode "The Day of The Doctor". "Doctor Who?" is the question that gets asked when he replies when asked his name.

I really hoped we weren't going to get into this debate. I used the full title of the programee to counterpoint the comment that had previously been made. Having portrayed the titular character he can be considered as an embodiment of the spirit of the whole show.

This year we have a one on one showdown DW vs Wrestling with Peter Sallis against Jake 'the snake' Roberts.

Winner takes all?

I really hoped we weren't going to get into this debate. I used the full title of the programee to counterpoint the comment that had previously been made. Having portrayed the titular character he can be considered as an embodiment of the spirit of the whole show.

This year we have a one on one showdown DW vs Wrestling with Peter Sallis against Jake 'the snake' Roberts.

Winner takes all?

It's just one of those things that niggle me. I get the same when people refer to monster from Frankenstein as being Frankenstein himself. The monster was never given a name.

• Like 1

I like pro-wrestling AND Doctor Who. And Sir John. And Ian Richardson too, but he's not been in Doctor Who, due to a terminal case of being dead. And while Ian Richardson never worked with Sir John, that I can remember (mind you, neither did Jake the Snake), both did work with Tom Baker, bringing the topic right back to Doctor Who and John Hurt.

Doh, I'm a buffoon, I actually don't watch much (read any) Broadcast tv, so my information on the current incarnation is clearly woefully out of date. Ignore me if you weren't already.

I like pro-wrestling AND Doctor Who. And Sir John. And Ian Richardson too, but he's not been in Doctor Who, due to a terminal case of being dead. And while Ian Richardson never worked with Sir John, that I can remember (mind you, neither did Jake the Snake), both did work with Tom Baker, bringing the topic right back to Doctor Who and John Hurt.

Remind me never to ask you for directions.

• Like 4

Bruno Sammartino was in Body Slam with Dirk Benedict who was in Battlestar Galactica with Wilfrid Hyde-White who was in Appointment with Crime with William Hartnell.

Boom.

• Like 1

If anyone's up for a 2016 DDP theme team of people who have been in a released-for-cinema motion picture with both one of 12 official Doctors and one of the 14 professional wrestlers to have held the WWE World Heavweight title for a combined period of more than 365, let's go.

Molly Parker was in Max (2002) with Peter Capaldi and That's What I Am (2011) with Randy Orton.

Larry Miller was in Suburban Commando (1992) with Hulk Hogan and Carry On Columbus (1992) with Jon Pertwee.

John Hurt and The Rock were in Hercules. (2014) ;)

Winner takes all?

It's just one of those things that niggle me. I get the same when people refer to monster from Frankenstein as being Frankenstein himself. The monster was never given a name.

yeah, that one gets on my tits as well

Winner takes all?

Yeah, like, if he had been given a name like, er, Kenneth or Herbert, it would have made him more of a rounded, slightly loveable character or summat.

Mary missed a trick there.

PS: That's Mary Shelley not MPFC, MPFC is fucking genius.

• Like 2

Winner takes all?

Yeah, like, if he had been given a name like, er, Kenneth or Herbert, it would have made him more of a rounded, slightly loveable character or summat.

Mary missed a trick there.

PS: That's Mary Shelley not MPFC, MPFC is fucking genius.

I hope they never reveal the Doctor's name. It'll be much like an anti-climax similar to when they revealed Inspector Morse's name.