Sign in to follow this  
Sean

Shaun`s Death By Numbers

At least this game means that the Deaths of Sacks and Sewell did not go to waste. Respectable joint 5th with lots of points still on the board.

At least this game means that the Deaths of Sacks and Sewell did not go to waste. Respectable joint 5th with lots of points still on the board.

Just throwing this idea out there: as all other games start on the obligatory Jan 1, perhaps this one could launch July1 as a fine midway point and we could capture a few names like Sacks etc that didn't pop on the radar till Feb but who likely weren't going to last through the year. Also a good way for us (well, me) to sit down and compile a midyear list that will help with homework come Dec 31.

Again, just a thought. We did start at mid year anyway. Would give this game a uniqueness!

SC

• Like 2

At least this game means that the Deaths of Sacks and Sewell did not go to waste. Respectable joint 5th with lots of points still on the board.quote]

Just throwing this idea out there: as all other games start on the obligatory Jan 1, perhaps this one could launch July1 as a fine midway point and we could capture a few names like Sacks etc that didn't pop on the radar till Feb but who likely weren't going to last through the year. Also a good way for us (well, me) to sit down and compile a midyear list that will help with homework come Dec 31.

Again, just a thought. We did start at mid year anyway. Would give this game a uniqueness!

SC[/quote

I quite like this idea too.Anyone got any thoughts/objections?

It certainly would add a uniqueness to the game and soften the irritation at dead certs dying before the DDP deadline.

I actually like that idea. Especially now that Phyllis Tickle is dead (though I picked her). But yeah, too many people dying in the months before January. It would mix things up. Though I probably would have chosen a little differently if the current trial run were already a first "real competition". On the other hand, we'd have to wait 10 months for the next installment.

Can`t find a qualifying obit for Tickle.

Can`t find a qualifying obit for Tickle.

No kidding. Lesson learned, no one cares about authors of religious material. Jeesh. Lots of links to religious websites but the only semi-authentic journalistic link comes from Huffington Post:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5601e9e7e4b0fde8b0d05acb

SC

Indeed, interesting. The Washington Post, which announced her cancer, has an obit. Her best bet might be the Telegraph (might take up to a month or so). The Telegraph bookstore offers her books.

That is right on the limit of the margins of an acceptable obit but it has a title with her name and death mentioned and is part of a daily mail source however tentatively.In short if an obit fulfills the basic criteria (name and death directly mentioned title embedded in a source by the list I gave on page 1)points are awarded.

The Unknown man :139

Death Impends:123

gcreptile:99

Sir Creep:92

Shaun of the Dead :89

Maryportfuncity:64

Morbidkid :64

Bibliogryphon:64

Grim up North :64

Handrejka:33

Rotten Ali:33

msc:0

Ok everyone I am proposing that the deadpool will last for a year until August 8th next year heeding Sir Creeps advice.If anyone has an objection please reply to this post.If 3 or more object I will not change the end date and will leave it as 31st December.

Objection your honour. When submitting teams we were led to believe the comp ran to the end of Dec. Changing this after the fact is unfair. By all means run a half year comp after this then switch to full years beginning mid-July

• Like 1

Objection your honour. When submitting teams we were led to believe the comp ran to the end of Dec. Changing this after the fact is unfair. By all means run a half year comp after this then switch to full years beginning mid-July

That was a criticism I confess to sharing to some degree.The 6 month suggestion is a plausible alternative but it would be difficult down the years to claim victories.Champion of 2015 sounds better if it is of the full year.

Is it too late for me to join? I just registered recently. (I wouldn't mind losing 2 months for a late start; I just want to play to test my speculation skills. And no, I will not post any celebrities that are already dead.)

And no, I will not post any celebrities that are already dead.)

Why not, everyone else is.

I think I also have to object. I am 100% sure that if I had known that the competition would last far into 2016, I would have, for example, picked Oliver Sacks, because then the cognitive dissonance that I whined about when I made my team wouldn't have been there. Deathray's idea is not bad. If the aim is to have a competition from mid-year to mid-year, then there will be no champions of full years anyway. Instead there'll be champions of a season 2016/2017 etc... The current contest should stay a trial run, also because people started at different times, and if there are any rule changes planned, they should set in with the first 'serious' run.

Noted.The competition will finish on 31st December as planned.After that I don`t know yet but it will be back in 2016 in wome form.

• Like 1

I'll object too. Been thinking long and hard (oo-er, missus) but the only reason I didn't enter was the relatively short run and I wanted to participate in a full year event). Whilst I think the idea of a competition which doesn't necessarily run from January to December is a good one, this should have been flagged up as a possibility before entries closed for this one.

I still say Shaun's Pool is a great idea. Perhaps it could be solved that the competition starts in January and you are allowed to replace up to 10 entries by June 30th (not including your dead entries of course!) for the rest of the year.

• Like 2

And no, I will not post any celebrities that are already dead.)

Why not, everyone else is.

Who?

Is it too late for me to join? I just registered recently. (I wouldn't mind losing 2 months for a late start; I just want to play to test my speculation skills. And no, I will not post any celebrities that are already dead.)

Yes you are welcome to submit a team.There is no deadline.

I'll object too. Been thinking long and hard (oo-er, missus) but the only reason I didn't enter was the relatively short run and I wanted to participate in a full year event). Whilst I think the idea of a competition which doesn't necessarily run from January to December is a good one, this should have been flagged up as a possibility before entries closed for this one.

I still say Shaun's Pool is a great idea. Perhaps it could be solved that the competition starts in January and you are allowed to replace up to 10 entries by June 30th (not including your dead entries of course!) for the rest of the year.

Or it could be a 6-month affair.

It's all in good fun, mates. Whatever you decide, I'm in.

SC​

Martin Crowe

John Hurt

Jimmy Carter

Valerie Harper

Fidel Castro

Bush 41

Chuck Berry

Doris Day

Bob Dole

Robert Mugabe

Mel Brooks

Susannah Mushatt Jones (Joker)

Emma Morano-Martinuzzi

Bhumibol Adulyadej

Boris Spassky

Roger Daltrey

Tommy Chong

Buzz Aldrin

Anders Breivik

Zsa Zsa Gabor

Bob Barker

Rob Ford

Ayman al-Zawahiri

Suge Knight

Olivia De Havilland

Billy Graham

Daisy Berkowitz

Ozzy Osbourne

Nanette Fabray

Benedict XVI

Sir William Deane

Kirk Douglas

Dick Van Dyke

Stan Lee

Al Molinaro

Fats Domino

Clive James

Don Imus

Vera Lynn

Irwin Corey

David Rockefeller

Gene Wilder

Stiliyan Petrov

Murray Walker

Thor Hansen

Mel Stottlemyre

Ryan O’Neal

Abe Vigoda

Henry Kissinger

Sonny Lang

Edited by JiroemonKimura

Martin Crowe

John Hurt

Jimmy Carter

Valerie Harper

Fidel Castro

Bush 41

Chuck Berry

Doris Day

Bob Dole

Robert Mugabe

Mel Brooks

Susannah Mushatt Jones (Joker)

Emma Morano-Martinuzzi

Bhumibol Adulyadej

Boris Spassky

Roger Daltrey

Tommy Chong

Buzz Aldrin

Anders Brevik

Zsa Zsa Gabor

Bob Barker

Rob Ford

Ayman al-Zawahiri

Suge Knight

Olivia De Havilland

Billy Graham

Daisy Berkowitz

Ozzy Osbourne

Nanette Fabray

Benedict XVI

Sir William Deane

Kirk Douglas

Dick Van Dyke

Stan Lee

Al Molinaro

Fats Domino

Clive James

Don Imus

Vera Lynn

Irwin Corey

David Rockefeller

Gene Wilder

Stiliyan Petrov

Murray Walker

Thor Hansen

Mel Stottlemyre

Ryan O’Neal

Abe Vigoda

Henry Kissinger

Sonny Lang

Welcome to the game.All added to my mastterlist!Good luck!

1. Zsa Zsa Gabor -- I want the few points

2. Martin Crowe

3. Denis Healey

4. Olivia De Havilland

Second, names from my DP teams:
5. Henry McCullough

6. "Superstar" Billy Graham

7. James R. Messenger
8. Oliver Sacks

9. Bart Starr

10. Magomed Abdusalamov

Third, real fucking old people so I take advantage of scoring rules (hate the game not the playya):

11. Susannah Mushatt Jones (**JOKER**) playing the odds

12. Emma Moran

Fourth, people chosen by other teams in my DP that I didn't pick but like:

13. Steve Gleason

14. President James Earl Carter, Jr.

15. Dilip Kumar

16. Joe Jackson (father of the Jacksons)

17. Rob Ford

18. Carol Channing

19. Fats Domino

Fifth, a bunch of folks you people (and I) have so graciously shared info on here on the DL site: (sadly I haven't been keeping track all along)
20. Howard Marks

21. Amy Watts (Muhammad Ali)

22. John Schlegel

23. Bob Bennett

24. Keith Farnham

25. Mark Farren

26. Michel Delpech

27. Sumner Redstone

28. Gerald Kaufman

29. Nuon Chea

30. Grace Lee Boggs

31. Khieu Samphan

32. Vladimir Bukovsky

33. Ray Columbus

34. Louis Stokes

35. Goran Hedzic

36. Governor Larry Hogan

37. Blackjack Mulligan

38. Vladimir Kara-Murza

39. Wesly Pipes

40. Vera Caslavska

41. Holly Woodlawn

42. Howard Davis, Jr.

43. Gaston Glock

44. Tony Adamowicz

Sixth, and lastly, a few names from research, not cuz they'll die, but rather to justify my time spent haha:
45. Andre Guelfi

46. Ken Kavanagh

47. Kevin Turner (NFL)

48. Eileen Fenton

49. Phyllis Tickle (she may not obit, but she will die. Let's take a chance)

50. Jack Van Impe

SirC

​----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Shaun:
Seems I had TWO people who were already dead on my list but Ms Watts is the only one I see, who am I missing?
Also -- Sir Creep didn't even remember selecting Ms. Tickle, but there it is in black--well red--and white!!​​

I wasn't going to replace Ms. Watts as punishment, but that seems remiss. If I may, I'd like to go WAYYY off the board and select as a replacement Mr. Muhammad Ali. I'd hate for him to pass away in the coming months and me get nothing for him altogether. I don't think he will perish any time soon so it remains a bit of a punishment for choosing a dead person in Ms. Watts.
SC​

1. Zsa Zsa Gabor -- I want the few points

2. Martin Crowe

3. Denis Healey

4. Olivia De Havilland

Second, names from my DP teams:

5. Henry McCullough

6. "Superstar" Billy Graham

7. James R. Messenger

8. Oliver Sacks

9. Bart Starr

10. Magomed Abdusalamov

Third, real fucking old people so I take advantage of scoring rules (hate the game not the playya):

11. Susannah Mushatt Jones (**JOKER**) playing the odds

12. Emma Moran

Fourth, people chosen by other teams in my DP that I didn't pick but like:

13. Steve Gleason

14. President James Earl Carter, Jr.

15. Dilip Kumar

16. Joe Jackson (father of the Jacksons)

17. Rob Ford

18. Carol Channing

19. Fats Domino

Fifth, a bunch of folks you people (and I) have so graciously shared info on here on the DL site: (sadly I haven't been keeping track all along)

20. Howard Marks

21. Amy Watts (Muhammad Ali)

22. John Schlegel

23. Bob Bennett

24. Keith Farnham

25. Mark Farren

26. Michel Delpech

27. Sumner Redstone

28. Gerald Kaufman

29. Nuon Chea

30. Grace Lee Boggs

31. Khieu Samphan

32. Vladimir Bukovsky

33. Ray Columbus

34. Louis Stokes

35. Goran Hedzic

36. Governor Larry Hogan

37. Blackjack Mulligan

38. Vladimir Kara-Murza

39. Wesly Pipes

40. Vera Caslavska

41. Holly Woodlawn

42. Howard Davis, Jr.

43. Gaston Glock

44. Tony Adamowicz

Sixth, and lastly, a few names from research, not cuz they'll die, but rather to justify my time spent haha:

45. Andre Guelfi

46. Ken Kavanagh

47. Kevin Turner (NFL)

48. Eileen Fenton

49. Phyllis Tickle (she may not obit, but she will die. Let's take a chance)

50. Jack Van Impe

SirC

​----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Shaun:

Seems I had TWO people who were already dead on my list but Ms Watts is the only one I see, who am I missing?

Also -- Sir Creep didn't even remember selecting Ms. Tickle, but there it is in black--well red--and white!!​​

I wasn't going to replace Ms. Watts as punishment, but that seems remiss. If I may, I'd like to go WAYYY off the board and select as a replacement Mr. Muhammad Ali. I'd hate for him to pass away in the coming months and me get nothing for him altogether. I don't think he will perish any time soon so it remains a bit of a punishment for choosing a dead person in Ms. Watts.

SC​

The second was James R Messenger.I can assure you that you did pick Tickle as she is on your entry on my masterlist which was copied and pasted the day you submitted your team.Yeah sure I will add him to your entry on the masterlist.

• Like 1

Easy going as I generally am I'm with the objections here regarding extending the end. It's basic customer service/sale of goods common sense to deliver what it says on the entry details; I too picked a team to totter off by the end of the year. I know from my own mistake that it's not good to suggest changes. For convenience sake I was all for putting up the Deathrace masterlist in the final hours of 2014, a few people took a rightful dislike to that, suspicious their carefully researched picks would be snaffled for late edits on DDP teams and pointed out what a bad idea I had.