Death Watch Beatle

Marianne Faithfull

Yes but, I would hazard a guess, its insertion would be like taking in a massive penis with a severe case of genital warts.

Can we lower the tone a tad more Lardy?

• Like 2

Yes but, I would hazard a guess, its insertion would be like taking in a massive penis with a severe case of genital warts.

Can we lower the tone a tad more Lardy?

Just another normal Friday night in Trowbridge then.

Yesterday I saw Marianne Faithfull live in concert at her 50th Anniversary Tour. Because of her broken hip she needed a helping hand to walk on stage, she used a stick to stand upright and she sat down in her armchair every second song, but man! What a personality, what a charisma! I'm so in love with her (and I was before)! :wub:

My highlight: Marianne singing her significant junkie-song „Sister Morphine“ as she was sitting down, drinking a cup of tea and smoking an e-cigarette. If you had told her that 40 years ago... :D

• Like 2

Yesterday I saw Marianne Faithfull live in concert at her 50th Anniversary Tour. Because of her broken hip she needed a helping hand to walk on stage, she used a stick to stand upright and she sat down in her armchair every second song, but man! What a personality, what a charisma! I'm so in love with her (and I was before)! :wub:

My highlight: Marianne singing her significant junkie-song „Sister Morphine“ as she was sitting down, drinking a cup of tea and smoking an e-cigarette. If you had told her that 40 years ago... :D

I went to see Marianne last night at the Roundhouse and she was pretty much as Book describes. Walking very painfully with a stick, having to sit down frequently, lots of tea (well, that's what she said it was) and smokes. She was terrific though. I was prepared to be disappointed, but she can still sing and interpret a song powerfully. She was also quite hilarious. She did, I think, just 13 songs but was on stage for over 90 minutes. Clearly very tiring for her though. No encore.

The gig was being filmed for something so you may have a chance to study the form yourselves at some point. Personally I hope she's around for a long time yet, she's a great character.

• Like 1

I went to see Marianne last night at the Roundhouse and she was pretty much as Book describes. Walking very painfully with a stick, having to sit down frequently, lots of tea (well, that's what she said it was) and smokes. She was terrific though. I was prepared to be disappointed, but she can still sing and interpret a song powerfully. She was also quite hilarious. She did, I think, just 13 songs but was on stage for over 90 minutes. Clearly very tiring for her though. No encore.

The gig was being filmed for something so you may have a chance to study the form yourselves at some point. Personally I hope she's around for a long time yet, she's a great character.

Sadly that's how Etta James was in her last couple of years. I'll give Marriane 5 years at the most.

:wub: She is divine, isn't she?

By the way she is 69... not a good age this year...

Bit like the audience then :D

• Like 2

Sadly that's how Etta James was in her last couple of years. I'll give Marriane 5 years at the most.

She did miss a verse out of one song,for which she apologised. It was near the end, so difficult to say whether she made a mistake or mischievously did it to cut a corner because she was getting tired.

She did miss a verse out of one song,for which she apologised. It was near the end, so difficult to say whether she made a mistake or mischievously did it to cut a corner because she was getting tired.

She missed out a verse? I'd have asked for some of my money back.

Bit like the audience then :D

Oi! I believe I may have admitted to taking a walking stick on country walks, but that's for diverse reasons :D

I've never taken a walking stick to a gig, although come to think of it, there could be advantages :evil2:

Actually there were a lot of younger people in the audience, there seemed to be all ages from teenagers up.

• Like 1

She missed out a verse? I'd have asked for some of my money back.

She's too shot away to remember all the words, she has all the songs on a music stand in front of her. It was still worth every penny though.

• Like 1

:birthday: Happy 70th Birthday, Marianne! :party:

Who would have thought about that?

:birthday: Happy 70th Birthday, Marianne! :party:

Who would have thought about that?

I'm sure it would have crossed someone's mind.

I'm glad she's escaped the 2016 Curse of 69.

• Like 1

Happy 72nd birthday, dear Marianne Faithfull!  I really adore her! :wub:

By the way her last album "Negative  Capability" is quite nice. No musical relevation and not in harmony with his predecessor (the great "Give my love to London"), but still nice to listen to.

Unfortunately there are 3 re-recordings of old (Marianne-Faithfull-) standards, which are totally superfluous. Instead of the re-recordings I would have liked 3 more new songs.

About her health... she never really recovered from her broken hip and her gone bad rehabilitation. She sits, smokes, puts on weight and relies on a walking stick :(

13 hours ago, Book said:

Happy 72nd birthday, dear Marianne Faithfull!  I really adore her! :wub:

By the way her last album "Negative  Capability" is quite nice. No musical relevation and not in harmony with his predecessor (the great "Give my love to London"), but still nice to listen to.

Unfortunately there are 3 re-recordings of old (Marianne-Faithfull-) standards, which are totally superfluous. Instead of the re-recordings I would have liked 3 more new songs.

About her health... she never really recovered from her broken hip and her gone bad rehabilitation. She sits, smokes, puts on weight and relies on a walking stick :(

Will she hit 73? 

1 hour ago, ImissMontpellier said:

Will she hit 73? 

Yes! 

She is fabulous. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

She is fabulous. 

Indeed she is .I've always found her very engaging to either watch or read in interviews.She has a certain kind of unpretentious attitude, emotional warmth and thoughtful insight that makes her worth listening too.

Oh no, not my Marianne! :(

But of course, with all her health problems, she is a risk patient! I keep my fingers crossed that she gets through.

• Like 3

On 05/04/2020 at 00:29, Persephone said:

Marianne has tested positive for Coronavirus and is currently being treated in hospital. Though she’s apparently responding well, with her age and medical history this is a cause for concern. Hoping she pulls through. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/marianne-faithful-hospitalized-coronavirus-978562/

Discharged from hospital and will continue her recovery at home.

• Like 2

For anyone not too familiar with Faithfull, she’ll be 74 this year. She was a heroin addict, heavy drinker and didn’t quit smoking until 2014. She has suffered from anorexia, had breast cancer, hepatitis C, has had hip replacement and suffered from chronic back problems. 

Either “somebody up there” really likes her or they’re not keen and wish for her to stay here as long as possible...

She does however feel like someone on borrowed time - partly thanks to most of the ailments above. She feels like she'd fit right in home somewhere between 45 and 50 on the 2021 DL providing she is still breathing on January 1st.

• Like 3