Paul Bearer

Donald J Trump

So, somebody called Crooks tried to kill a crook. Life is full of little ironies like that. But it was a close call. He only missed his brain by three or four feet! 

• Haha 3

Yesterday, somebody pointed out that everything with Trump is drama and chaos.

I do think that THIS is the single-person thread that will get up to 200 pages, so more than QE II, more than Margaret Thatcher. This man is just one perpetual drama machine.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Yesterday, somebody pointed out that everything with Trump is drama and chaos.

I do think that THIS is the single-person thread that will get up to 200 pages, so more than QE II, more than Margaret Thatcher. This man is just one perpetual drama machine.

What the last 24 hours has made me realise is that even if Trump's eventual death is from natural causes, the US has got an almighty problem on its hands. The fallout won't be as bad as if the assassination attempt had succeeded, but there are plenty of supporters who would strongly believe it was a CIA/Biden plot even if Trump had a stroke/heart attack live on air.

15 hours ago, Windsor said:

Teetotal dear. 

Good for you. Still a douchebag though.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, bennib1 said:

Good for you. Still a douchebag though.

Still waiting for someone to give me a credible explanation of why "douchebag" is a derogatory term. 

I mean, why that and not face flannel or nailbrush or shower head, etc

21 minutes ago, Toast said:

Still waiting for someone to give me a credible explanation of why "douchebag" is a derogatory term. 

I mean, why that and not face flannel or nailbrush or shower head, etc

it's a derogatory term in north america, akin to calling someone an "asshole". 

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, jimbean1121 said:

Yes, I know it is !  But WHY?

6 minutes ago, jimbean1121 said:

Pretty sure she got that point...think it was more of, "Why is this derogatory?"

10 minutes ago, Toast said:

Yes, I know it is !  But WHY?

it's the image of being compared to a douche that is offensive to people. it's also why only men take it as an insult

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, jimbean1121 said:

it's the image of being compared to a douche that is offensive to people. it's also why only men take it as an insult

I still don't get it.  A douche is just a jet of water used to cleanse the body, like a shower (it's the French word for shower).  I don't see anything remotely offensive about it.

7 minutes ago, Toast said:

I still don't get it.  A douche is just a jet of water used to cleanse the body, like a shower (it's the French word for shower).  I don't see anything remotely offensive about it.

I mean I would imagine it's due to the specific body part it commonly refers to...

7 minutes ago, Sleepiestpeep said:

I mean I would imagine it's due to the specific body part it commonly refers to...

That doesn't seem logical.  The names of the body parts themselves are frequently used as derogatory terms (arsehole, cunt, twat etc) so where's the need.?

You don't say "toothbrush" when you mean teeth.

14 minutes ago, Toast said:

That doesn't seem logical.  The names of the body parts themselves are frequently used as derogatory terms (arsehole, cunt, twat etc) so where's the need.?

You don't say "toothbrush" when you mean teeth.

It is more of an abbreviated term for a less commonly used insult: douchebag. Being referred to as a receptacle for semen rinsed out of anywhere is certainly insulting. 

Also, in this country, that word as a verb refers specifically to the action of this not particularly useful form of contraception. 

It's not offensive in the slightest. But 'douche' works as an insult purely because it sounds quite amusing; loads of blunt and inoffensive things make a good, non-sweary insult. Cabbage. Parcel. Cow.

5 minutes ago, TQR said:

It's not offensive in the slightest. But 'douche' works as an insult purely because it sounds quite amusing; loads of blunt and inoffensive things make a good, non-sweary insult. Cabbage. Parcel. Cow.

Come here and call some big gentleman that to his face. You will realize it is definitely offensive; if you survive. 

4 minutes ago, arrowsmith said:

Come here and call some big gentleman that to his face. You will realise it is definitely offensive; if you survive. 

Frankly, if I can psychologically maim someone by calling them a douche, I’m going to die laughing long before the rusty, jammed-up cogs in the brain of said “big gentleman” engage his motor skills.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, arrowsmith said:

It is more of an abbreviated term for a less commonly used insult: douchebag. Being referred to as a receptacle for semen rinsed out of anywhere is certainly insulting.

Also, in this country, that word as a verb refers specifically to the action of this not particularly useful form of contraception. 

I see. I'm not familiar with this form of contraception, which sounds unreliable to say the least.  I would regard it rather as a cleansing aid, useful when a shower is not available.

30 minutes ago, arrowsmith said:

Come here and call some big gentleman that to his face. You will realize it is definitely offensive; if you survive. 

Is 'wanker' now offensive on your side of the pond? I seem to recall it wasn't back in the day.

So you could walk up the same guy and call him a wanker and he'd be fine with it? I'd imagine with the advent of the internet it'd be far more risky these days.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Is 'wanker' now offensive on your side of the pond? I seem to recall it wasn't back in the day.

So you could walk up the same guy and call him a wanker and he'd be fine with it? I'd imagine with the advent of the internet it'd be far more risky these days.

I can’t say I think that’s offensive. We don’t really use that word here. Also, who isn’t a wanker really? In the proper sense. Here, a douchebag is certainly an offensive term. Not top tier offensive, but certainly worse than wanker. That being said, it is one of my favorite words and I use it often and with relish. 

48 minutes ago, Toast said:

I see. I'm not familiar with this form of contraception, which sounds unreliable to say the least.  I would regard it rather as a cleansing aid, useful when a shower is not available.

It is beyond unreliable. Ineffective is a better word. I sincerely believe it is used in more innocent contexts in Britain, however, here, it is really only used as an insult meant to conjure the image of someone washing semen out of themselves in an effort not to get pregnant. Both stupid and a little viscerally disgusting. Perhaps akin to calling someone an enema - though that just doesn’t sound as mean. 

2 hours ago, En Passant said:

Wanker isn't as common, but yeah, very insulting here too. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, arrowsmith said:

It is beyond unreliable. Ineffective is a better word. I sincerely believe it is used in more innocent contexts in Britain, however, here, it is really only used as an insult meant to conjure the image of someone washing semen out of themselves in an effort not to get pregnant. Both stupid and a little viscerally disgusting. Perhaps akin to calling someone an enema - though that just doesn’t sound as mean. 

I don't think I've ever seen any on sale. Sounds a bit like a turkey baster.

• Haha 1

It bothers me that in this great debate regarding the offensiveness of the term douchebag, nobody has concerned themselves with the mental turmoil and potential trauma it has caused me.

Thankfully I couldn’t give a shit about the opinions of strangers. Or cunts. 

So, back to Donald Trump's narrow escape from death - saw a post online that raised a point I hadn't considered. 

Thomas Crooks clearly had access to a good quality weapon and enough local knowledge to find a firing position in decent range and outside the security sweep, but he probably fixated so much on the result he wanted and lacked experience of shooting living targets, so he likely did the video game thing of aiming for the head and thinking it'd explode. Put crudely, if he'd thought it through and gone for the body shot, into the chest, where Trump isn't exactly short of body mass,  it might have been a different outcome. If not enough damage to ensure death then likely enough to constitute the kind of life changing injury that'd put Trump out of the presidential race.

1 minute ago, maryportfuncity said:

So, back to Donald Trump's narrow escape from death - saw a post online that raised a point I hadn't considered. 

Thomas Crooks clearly had access to a good quality weapon and enough local knowledge to find a firing position in decent range and outside the security sweep, but he probably fixated so much on the result he wanted and lacked experience of shooting living targets, so he likely did the video game thing of aiming for the head and thinking it'd explode. Put crudely, if he'd thought it through and gone for the body shot, into the chest, where Trump isn't exactly short of body mass,  it might have been a different outcome. If not enough damage to ensure death then likely enough to constitute the kind of life changing injury that'd put Trump out of the presidential race.

Great advice :evil2:

• Haha 1