Sign in to follow this  
Phantom

Songs You Can Go The Rest Of Your Life Without Hearing Again

David Bowie - Heroes

Sorry... that's the one song by him I've heard too much.

Also, Bryan Adams, Summer of 69.

David Bowie - Heroes

Sorry... that's the one song by him I've heard too much.

Not even the London Olympics could spoil "Heroes" for me.

It may have sounded superficially appropriate, but was a crass choice for the medal ceremonies. Clearly chosen by the kind of people who think 'Born In The USA' is a patriotic anthem. :bat:

• Like 3

Ugh, talk about opening a can of earworms...

Many of the songs already mentioned (though whoever it was who put "Wuthering Heights" and songs by Lulu can go bog off right now :shoot2:), but to add to the list:

1. U2 - "One" - de rigeur for bands to have one of these type of songs; slow, meaningful, ultimately a bit dull and not a patch on earlier, uptempo stuff. See also R.E.M. "Everybody Hurts". Also mandatory to include a similar type song on every subsequent album.

2. Alanis Morissette - "Ironic". I once had access to music only through MTV Europe. This song was played at least three times every single sodding day to the point that now when I hear it, I have to leave the room. Oh, and nothing in the lyrics is ironic in the first place.

3. 4 Non Blondes - "What's Up". Similar situation to #2.

4. Beatles - anything with Ringo singing. Seeing as "Hey Jude" and "Let It Be" have already been mentioned.

5. Boomtown Rats - "I Don't Like Mondays". Overplayed, no more, no less. I'd much rather radios would play "Rat Trap" or "Like Clockwork" instead.

I am SO relieved no one has yet mentioned anything by the Carpenters thus unleashing a torrent of abuse from many (unexpected?) quarters.

• Like 2

2. Alanis Morissette - "Ironic". I once had access to music only through MTV Europe. This song was played at least three times every single sodding day to the point that now when I hear it, I have to leave the room. Oh, and nothing in the lyrics is ironic in the first place.

On the offchance there is anyone who hasn't already seen Ed Byrnes near legendary slating of the lack of any actual irony in this song....its here.

Personally my new years resolution has just become "Do all my xmas shopping before September (and subsist on canned food for 3 months)" simply to avoid having to hear Wham's "Last Christmas" ever again. Or, now I come to think of it, "Do they sodding know its bloody christmas" or "Merry farking christmas everybody" or "A (presumably drunk and lost) spaceman came travelling..." or, or, or, or well you get the gist.

I cannot tell you how much sympathy I feel for anyone working in retail over the xmas period, I'd be suicidal/homicidal.

• Like 1

Personally my new years resolution has just become "Do all my xmas shopping before September (and subsist on canned food for 3 months)" simply to avoid having to hear Wham's "Last Christmas" ever again. Or, now I come to think of it, "Do they sodding know its bloody christmas" or "Merry farking christmas everybody" or "A (presumably drunk and lost) spaceman came travelling..." or, or, or, or well you get the gist.

I cannot tell you how much sympathy I feel for anyone working in retail over the xmas period, I'd be suicidal/homicidal.

Mull of Kintyre anyone?

I refer the honourable gentlemen to the answer I gave some moments ago.
  • Like 1

A few for consideration. I mostly disagree with other honorable members. There are probably others, but here's my top three:

Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance With Somebody.

Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline.

Bette Midler (or anyone else) - The Rose.

Anything by Lulu.

Tsk! As a certain Edina Monsoon once said: "you can never have too much Lulu". And, regardless of what people think about her, she's got a cracking voice.

No-one mentioned 'Imagine' yet? Up there with Hey Jude and Let It Be as overplayed and we're all supposed to get mawkishly emotional over it. R.E.M.'s Everybody Hurts is another one. Mawkish tripe and not a patch on anything from their IRS years either. And on a personal note, if Blondie (or Debbie Harry solo) never played The Tide Is High live again I wouldn't shed any tears.

Can't believe someone's mentioned a Boney M song, and Seven Tears is a perfect example of classic Schlager. Cloth ears, the lot of you!

Imagine definitely features on my longer list. Even just putting the titles on the original list of 30 together would create countless earworms.

What is a shame about the Christmas shopping music ordeal is that almost everything played in the shops is decades old. There are plenty of recent 'n' decent Christmas songs, but these are largely ignored. It's as though all the shops are playing old K-tel compilation albums (ask your grand/parents, kids). I did hear Hurts "All I Want For Christmas Is New Year's Day" in Wilkinsons this time, but mostly it's the usual suspects.

What is a shame about the Christmas shopping music ordeal is that almost everything played in the shops is decades old. There are plenty of recent 'n' decent Christmas songs, but these are largely ignored. It's as though all the shops are playing old K-tel compilation albums (ask your grand/parents, kids). I did hear Hurts "All I Want For Christmas Is New Year's Day" in Wilkinsons this time, but mostly it's the usual suspects.

By the time Christmas comes around, I'm sick of hearing "Grandma got run over by a reindeer", and "All I want for Christmas is you". But at least it wipes Katy Perry and Phil Collins off the radio for a month (which I thankfully only hear over the P.A. at my local petrol station when I fill the car up).

I absolutely despise that song "video killed the radio star". IMO its a cheaply made and sounds so obnoxiously sweet and artificial that I think someone shoved a bowl of sugar down my mouth. It's also a case of being made at the right time if it was made even two years later it would have failed.

Many of the songs already mentioned (though whoever it was who put "Wuthering Heights" and songs by Lulu can go bog off right now :shoot2:), but to add to the list:

1. U2 - "One" - de rigeur for bands to have one of these type of songs; slow, meaningful, ultimately a bit dull and not a patch on earlier, uptempo stuff. See also R.E.M. "Everybody Hurts". Also mandatory to include a similar type song on every subsequent album.

4. Beatles - anything with Ringo singing. Seeing as "Hey Jude" and "Let It Be" have already been mentioned.

5. Boomtown Rats - "I Don't Like Mondays". Overplayed, no more, no less. I'd much rather radios would play "Rat Trap" or "Like Clockwork" instead.

I am SO relieved no one has yet mentioned anything by the Carpenters thus unleashing a torrent of abuse from many (unexpected?) quarters.

I thought I was the only unabashed Carpenters fan here.

So I shouldn't say that when the 40th anniversary of Karen Carpenter's death rolls around, Mattel are going to release a limited edition Karen Carpenter doll. It'll be called "My Little Boney".

So I shouldn't say that when the 40th anniversary of Karen Carpenter's death rolls around, Mattel are going to release a limited edition Karen Carpenter doll. It'll be called "My Little Boney".

There already is a Karen Carpenter doll, though it look more like Maggie Philbin

ebay.com/itm/carpenters-bobblehead-nodder-doll-Karen-carpenter-280760535366

There already is a Karen Carpenter doll, though it look more like Maggie Philbin

ebay.com/itm/carpenters-bobblehead-nodder-doll-Karen-carpenter-280760535366

Well there's this one too. but it looks nothing like any person I would know,

il_570xN.630875549_opbw.jpg

the bobblehead does look better

8c8405fb79a160f2d34d609303423f3f.jpg

Hmmmm. We are a right bunch of miserable old bastards, aren't we!! :lol:

• Like 1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/260222977/harper-lee-doll-miniature-author?ref=shop_home_active_3

There's a Harper Lee one too. I wonder how many other DL candidates or former candidates we can find.

Edit - Spotted PD James too.

Without a doubt you'll be able to find ones of sporting personalities.

Ive just lolled my man breasts off at that!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/260222977/harper-lee-doll-miniature-author?ref=shop_home_active_3

There's a Harper Lee one too. I wonder how many other DL candidates or former candidates we can find.

There's a whole new thread of it's own.

Do cruets count?

727965071_tp.jpg

FW de Klerk & Nelson Mandela

(doesn't say which is salt & which is pepper though)

• Like 3

how about dog toys

spitting%20image%20x%203.JPG

$_1.JPG

• Like 1

Guest Guest who needs a life

Who let the dogs out

I am woman

It's a small world

Stand by your man

Anything by the Captain and Tennill (Don't know how to spell it.)

There's a whole new thread of it's own.

Do cruets count?

727965071_tp.jpg

FW de Klerk & Nelson Mandela

(doesn't say which is salt & which is pepper though)

Should probably have a thread of its own. Olivia de Havilland has a doll too. I reckon if any of these celebs die instead putting their picture on the front page it should be one of the doll pics. Peter Falk has one too for anyone wanting to make those jokes in doll style.

• Like 1

Should probably have a thread of its own. Olivia de Havilland has a doll too. I reckon if any of these celebs die instead putting their picture on the front page it should be one of the doll pics. Peter Falk has one too for anyone wanting to make those jokes in doll style.

I really hate this sort of thing; dolls give me the creeps. Can it have its own thread so I don't have to look at them, please?