Sign in to follow this  
Phantom

Songs You Can Go The Rest Of Your Life Without Hearing Again

I like dolls, but the fact that an Anne Sexton doll exists and somone bought it is one of the most genuinely disturbing things I can think of.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/90173331/anne-sexton-author-and-poet-doll?ref=shop_review

The doll in question is genuinely disturbing too:

il_570xN.593514837_9q50.jpg

How long is her neck supposed to be?

BTW, there's a band name in there: Disturbing Dolls.

I thought I was the only unabashed Carpenters fan here.

Definitely not. When choosing a user pic, it was a toss up between Karen Carpenter and Bobby Farrell though admittedly with a username like mine there wasn't much of a contest.

Incidentally, I want to go here on a pilgrimage of sorts. I wouldn't mind a Karen Carpenter bobblehead doll too to put on my fridge.

• Like 1

Anything by the Captain and Tennill (Don't know how to spell it.)

Heretic. :shoot2:

• Like 1

I absolutely despise that song "video killed the radio star". IMO its a cheaply made and sounds so obnoxiously sweet and artificial that I think someone shoved a bowl of sugar down my mouth. It's also a case of being made at the right time if it was made even two years later it would have failed.

You are seriously walking on thin ice here Morbidkid

• Like 1

I absolutely despise that song "video killed the radio star". IMO its a cheaply made and sounds so obnoxiously sweet and artificial that I think someone shoved a bowl of sugar down my mouth. It's also a case of being made at the right time if it was made even two years later it would have failed.

He's entitled to his opinion. Personally I can blot that song out when I want to. The only time I hear it played here is either when they do a video vault thing on MTV, or during an "I love the 80s" type show.

He's entitled to his opinion. Personally I can blot that song out when I want to. The only time I hear it played here is either when they do a video vault thing on MTV, or during an "I love the 80s" type show.

So YOU'RE the one that still watches MTV.

Anything by 2 Unlimited, Scooter, The Vengaboys & all of the ten songs played on Capital FM.

So YOU'RE the one that still watches MTV.

On a Sunday morning if I'm awake early enough and there's sod all on the telly

Anything by 2 Unlimited, Scooter, The Vengaboys & all of the ten songs played on Capital FM.

You can add more to the list, there's no limit. ;)

• Like 2

I can happily throw "Layla" - Derek & The Dominoes in with my list.

Sweet Home Alabama.

That completes my list

SC

• Like 1

I have two though I disliked both from the get go:

Peaches - Presidents of the United States

Lightening Crashes - I'm not sure if that is the title or the name of the group. Any time it comes on, I turn it off or leave the room. I was in labour with my fourth child and my BFF (and labour coach) decides to put on soothing music from her own device. Songs comes on - I scream at her to turn it off. She has the audacity to question a labouring mother - I scream: dead baby song! I ended up having an emergency c-section. I fully blame her and that fucking song. :P

Ugh, talk about opening a can of earworms...

Many of the songs already mentioned (though whoever it was who put "Wuthering Heights" and songs by Lulu can go bog off right now :shoot2:), but to add to the list:

1. U2 - "One" - de rigeur for bands to have one of these type of songs; slow, meaningful, ultimately a bit dull and not a patch on earlier, uptempo stuff. See also R.E.M. "Everybody Hurts". Also mandatory to include a similar type song on every subsequent album.

2. Alanis Morissette - "Ironic". I once had access to music only through MTV Europe. This song was played at least three times every single sodding day to the point that now when I hear it, I have to leave the room. Oh, and nothing in the lyrics is ironic in the first place.

3. 4 Non Blondes - "What's Up". Similar situation to #2.

4. Beatles - anything with Ringo singing. Seeing as "Hey Jude" and "Let It Be" have already been mentioned.

5. Boomtown Rats - "I Don't Like Mondays". Overplayed, no more, no less. I'd much rather radios would play "Rat Trap" or "Like Clockwork" instead.

I am SO relieved no one has yet mentioned anything by the Carpenters thus unleashing a torrent of abuse from many (unexpected?) quarters.

I fucking hate this song. It was on the radio as I was calving out my first born, and it reminds me of her cuntwad of a biological 'father'. Fucking hate it, I kick the radio every time it's on.

• Like 1

I have had a long standing hatred of Doop by Doop ever since it was released. I don't think many people remember it, but I bloody hate it.

That, and Coldplay.

I can't believe there are people here who actually put song name first and artist second, and they called me unhinged.

Anyway....

I'd rather not hear most songs by Blur or Radiohead except for like one or two.

Oasis and Pulp have always been complete non-starters for me.

Once upon a time I really, really overlistened the song "No-one Knows" by Queens of the Stone Age because it's just such a great song, to the point where I got sick of it. I can listen to it now but I don't a lot.

There's one particular song, released in 1996 that I won't name in case anyone wants to taunt me with it. But it always made me puke my guts out cos it was so... I dunno, "twee" I guess. It was in the charts so you 'may' be able to guess it.

"Woman" by Wolfmother is a terrible song by a terrible band, I might have put on the list, but I suppose I would want to hear it again cos I like laughing at it.

Sir Creep, I hate "Seven Nation Army" by White Stripes (you mentioned them in the other thread) cause there's a great darts thrower here in Yoorup who uses it as his entrance/walk-on music in TV matches, and all the drunk morons in the crowd sing along to it like it's some brand new brilliant song that hasn't been heard already a million times or something. He badly needs to change his music.

I can't believe there are people here who actually put song name first and artist second, and they called me unhinged.

I'd rather not hear most songs by Blur or Radiohead except for like one or two.

Sir Creep, I hate "Seven Nation Army" by White Stripes (you mentioned them in the other thread) cause there's a great darts thrower here in Yoorup who uses it as his entrance/walk-on music in TV matches, and all the drunk morons in the crowd sing along to it like it's some brand new brilliant song that hasn't been heard already a million times or something. He badly needs to change his music.

1. Totally agree. Artist - Song. Backwards is, well, backwards

2. I've seen Blur mentioned twice here now (i.e. Overplayed), which is funny cuz they remained non-existent on US radio that I'm aware of. I found them on my own of course, but found them quite unlistenable, so how they had any popularity I leave to the tin ears of the U.K. And I say this as a person that believes Gorillaz is likely one of the top 20 bands I've ever heard.

3. They've ruined the experience of attending baseball games here by allowing some douchebag to come up with a 'theme song' for each player, and every time they come to the plate to bat the stadium speakers erupt with the same song for that person.....all season long (perhaps all career long). That's like 300 times in a season for a starting player (home games). I guess that awful trend started maybe 15 years ago. Prolly stole the idea from wrestling!

SC

I have had a long standing hatred of Doop by Doop ever since it was released. I don't think many people remember it, but I bloody hate it.

That, and Coldplay.

I have no idea who or what Doop by Doop is, but I sympathise with your thoughs on Coldplay. Pretentious twaddle.

Speaking of which, a few songs that lost the Darwinian race by not being copied to my next mp3 player:

Phil Collins - You Can't Hurry Love

Elvis Costello - (I don't want to go to) Chelsea
The Cure - A Forest

Bob Marley - Buffalo Soldier

Steve Reich - Violin Phase

Rush - The Trees

Yes - Close to the Edge

Doop.

It's a techno dance type version of the Charleston. It got to number 1 in the UK charts in 1994. Bloody awful.

Actually, I'm not a fan of Eurodance in general. Berri's Sunshine After The Rain was the worst thing to happen to Ellie Greenwich since Phil Spector.

I've just remembered this monstrosity. ​I take it back about Seven Tears, this is the worst song ever.

I've just remembered this monstrosity. ​I take it back about Seven Tears, this is the worst song ever.

I cant hate it.

Raquels Discoshitetech, Basildon, Essex 1978 :D

That Dean Friedman song may be the worst ever, I can't disagree with that, but it's not my most hated song. That distinction goes to 'Alone Again Naturally' by Gilbert O'Sullivan. Just fucking top yourself now, man, and stop droning on.

• Like 1

That Dean Friedman song may be the worst ever, I can't disagree with that, but it's not my most hated song. That distinction goes to 'Alone Again Naturally' by Gilbert O'Sullivan. Just fucking top yourself now, man, and stop droning on.

.............so I wont mention that his classic 'Nothing Rhymed' is one of my faves then Toastie..... :D