Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

Former Colorado state Senator Jim Isgar is dead at 64.

SC

There's a snippet at the end of this brief article saying (Pennsylvania?) Governor Tom Wolfe announced 10 days ago he is getting treatment for prostate cancer.
SC

John Evans, Baron Evans of Parkside has reportedly died aged 85. https://twitter.com/Dclell/status/706826340343943168

Former MP for St Helens North and a life peer who retired from the House of Lords.

Awaiting the usual confirmations.

Edit: Appears here as a death on 5 March. http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/lords/retired-lords/

John Evans, Baron Evans of Parkside has reportedly died aged 85. https://twitter.com/Dclell/status/706826340343943168

Former MP for St Helens North and a life peer who retired from the House of Lords.

Awaiting the usual confirmations.

Edit: Appears here as a death on 5 March. http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/lords/retired-lords/

I have a Parkside colliery tie from the days when I spent a week with the British Coal Marketing department at Newton-le-Willows.

The colliery had very distinctive pit heads which were depicted on the bottom of the tie. They have since been blown up.

2nd president of Croatia is 81, he's not so public anymore and there's a chance he might not last past 85, I didn't see anything about him for a long time now, I can't tell any statistic fact on how long our presidents do live since we only had 4 presidents but the first president, Franjo Tuđman, died in 1999 aged 77, of cancer of course, 2nd is 81, 3rd is 58 and current one is 47....

Nice round up of the trials of the Khmer Rouge leaders: http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=2407734&CategoryId=12395

Who is dead and who is charged with genocide? Find out in the next episode...

For my money, and as posted last year, only Nuon Chea 89, and Khieu Samphan 84, are obitable, and I'd say guaranteed. The others are shaky. Chea is on my Shadow List and in at least one other DP; 89 years old with a life sentence -- and prolly dozens on the inside who'd like to see him dead, I mean how long can the dude last?

SC

Former Wisconsin state Rep. Tamara Grigsby has died of health complications at age 41. Dane County Executive Joe Parisi announced Grigsby's death on Tuesday. Grigsby dealt with cancer during her time in the Legislature, stepping down in 2013 after eight years representing a portion of Milwaukee.
SC

Guest Guest

A list of Lords from The Lord of Lists

The following 20 peers are the oldest of those who have been given extended leave of absence from their duties in the Lords. It is possible that such leave is granted for other reasons such as holding a UN or EU political appointed post but considering the youngest of these will be 87 this year I imagine most of them are ill or frail, and remember there are many older people than this still active in the Upper House.

• Michael Sandberg (b.1927)
  • John (J D) Sainsbury (b.1927)
  • Gwilym prys Prys-Davies (b.1923)
  • Jim Prior (b.1927)
  • Beryl Platt (b.1923)
  • Olive Nicol (b.1923)
  • James Molyneaux (b.1920)
  • Roy Mason (b.1924)
  • George Mackie (b.1919)
  • Betty Lockwood (b.1924)
  • Philip Knights (b.1920)
  • William Griffiths (b.1923)
  • Robert Goff (b.1926)
  • Robert Lindsay (b.1927)
  • Alun Gwynne-Jones (b.1919)
  • Asa Briggs (b.1921)
  • Thomas Bridges (b.1927)
  • Derek Barber (b.1918)
  • Ian Paisley (b.1926)
  • Richard Attenborough (b.1923)
There should be an obit for any of these.

Asa Briggs death reduces the no to 11 still alive http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35813749

The following 20 peers are the oldest of those who have been given extended leave of absence from their duties in the Lords. It is possible that such leave is granted for other reasons such as holding a UN or EU political appointed post but considering the youngest of these will be 87 this year I imagine most of them are ill or frail, and remember there are many older people than this still active in the Upper House.

• Jim Prior (b.1927)
  • Beryl Platt (b.1923)
  • Olive Nicol (b.1923)
  • Roy Mason (b.1924)
  • George Mackie (b.1919)
  • Robert Goff (b.1926)
  • Asa Briggs (b.1921)
  • Derek Barber (b.1918)
  • Ian Paisley (b.1926)

Asa Briggs death reduces the no to 11 still alive http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35813749

YoungWillz be on top of this for his Lords & Ladies team.

SC

• Like 1

Charlie Berger, the former state senator from Harlan (Kentucky), has passed away.
Btw the link is to an amusing story about the man, worth 90 seconds of your time.

SC

• Jim Prior (b.1927)
  • Beryl Platt (b.1923)
  • Olive Nicol (b.1923)
  • Roy Mason (b.1924)
  • George Mackie (b.1919)
  • Robert Goff (b.1926)
  • Asa Briggs (b.1921)
  • Derek Barber (b.1918)
  • Ian Paisley (b.1926)

YoungWillz be on top of this for his Lords & Ladies team.

SC

Cheers for the thought, but my Lords and Ladies team is not a theme team, just 12 men and 8 women...the name is a play on the 12 Days Of Christmas, that's all (even though there actually are a couple of peers on there)!

Three days, three U.S. state representatives. Grigsby, Berger, and now Abernathy III.

Former Georgia state Sen. Ralph David Abernathy III died Thursday morning after a battle with liver cancer. He represented portions of the city of Atlanta in the state House of Representatives from 1987-to-1991 and in the state Senate from 1992-to-1999.

Abernathy was indicted on 35 charges, including making false statements, violation of oath of office, theft by taking, forgery and witness tampering.

He was ultimately convicted on 18 felony counts in December 1999. In 2002, Abernathy was arrested on parole violations and charged with theft by deception after fellow inmates said he promised to secure early releases for them in exchange for money.

Abernathy was 57 years old.

SC

In 2002, Abernathy was arrested on parole violations and charged with theft by deception after fellow inmates said he promised to secure early releases for them in exchange for money.

Abernathy was 57 years old.

Rather a dim bunch, those fellow inmates. Trusting a politician, tsk. tsk.

• Like 1

Guest guest

guido westerwelle is dead...

Very sad news. He was often controversial and unpopular by many Germans. I had big respect for him and his FDP. The Party was always better than its Reputation.

54 years, may he rest in peace now!

• Like 1

Was Westerwelle illness publicly known?

Yeah, he was a DDP pick in 2015 and probably would have been a bigger favourite amongst the main teams if he hadn't announced remission in, what, October 2014?

Guest Droosy

Very sad news. He was often controversial and unpopular by many Germans. I had big respect for him and his FDP. The Party was always better than its Reputation.

FDP is the party of capitalist bigots who lick US arses more than Blair did, so their bad reputatiton among the Germans is deserved!!

Yeah, he was a DDP pick in 2015 and probably would have been a bigger favourite amongst the main teams if he hadn't announced remission in, what, October 2014?

So he was forgotten in 2016?

FDP is the party of capitalist bigots who lick US arses more than Blair did, so their bad reputatiton among the Germans is deserved!!

I know these Kind of stereotypes. neither true nor very original. I was for almost 13 years passive member in this Party.... enough time to make a different Picture of the Party.

• Like 1

So he was forgotten in 2016?

He was making public appearances in late 2015/early 2016, but shortly later, he announced that the leukemia was back. I wasn't shocked at his death, but it was a bit of a risk in late 2015.