msc

The 2Nd Crowdsourced Deathlist (2017 Edition)

1. A joke only really works once.

2. I am vaguely aware of Darrieux, through being a super old actress popular in deadpools on this site, though I don't believe I've ever seen any of her work.

3. Not Sir Creep related, but good spot Joey.

• Like 1

(Here's where the Masterlist will go on January 1st)

Or will it?

I think you'll find the main list is in that spot just as I predicted. It was just, err, hidden. Yeah, that'll be it. :D

• Like 1

All that behind the scenes stuff is quite interesting, doesn't seem to have been any utterly bizarre picks like last year then. Despite my efforts to get Tomasz Schafernaker on there.

Do you have the complete list of all picks and their scores?

Do you have the complete list of all picks and their scores?

Yep, and have already been asked if I'll publish it. Short answer - yes. Long answer - later in the month, as it's the weans birthday and then I've got some work stuff to deal with next week. The complete list is in my short hand, and needs tidied up to be readable by anyone else.

:referee: Likely to be the biggest Crowdsource miss of the season,despite being in a como the last week of Dec many seemed to pass on Mario Soares.

:referee: Likely to be the biggest Crowdsource miss of the season,despite being in a como the last week of Dec many seemed to pass on Mario Soares.

I think a lot of teams were submitted before the full extent of his illness was known and there was also concern as to whether he was Deathlisty enough.

Even after his illness became known, hardly anyone put him on their lists. I was waiting for a huge Mario surge which never happened.

I didn't submit him under the assumption he'd have croaked before the new year even started.

I suspect you're not the only person.

That's a lot quicker for the first hit then last time, where Crowe was the first hit of the year.

• Like 1

I'll update later tonight.

A "Clare Hollingworth dies - more to follow" post sounded a wee bit pretentious on a forum for my liking!

How late tonight?

HOLLINGWORTH MEETS HER DEADLINE

1/50

Clare_Hollingworth_3468662b.jpg

10th January 2017

Legendary British journalist Clare Hollingworth has died aged 105 to give The Crowdsourced Deathlist its first success of 2017. Hollingworth was only twenty-seven and working as a journalist in Poland when she got the scoop of the century: the start of World War Two. Such a scoop, that the first paper refused to believe it. Hollingworth survived the war despite a predilection for being right in the thick of the bombing and became a notable foreign correspondent on multiple continents, reporting first hand from China, Algeria and many other places. She helped expose Kim Philby as a Soviet Spy, and the horrors of the French Army in Algeria. Hollingworth retired to Hong Kong in 1981, and lived to a merry old age: a fact perhaps more surprising when you consider she once threatened to hit a soldier threatening to shoot her with her shoe! She was also the first (and last) person ever to interview the Shah of Iran, a lover of wine and champagne, and a trailblazing female writer who refused to think of herself as a feminist. One of her few regrets in later life, allegedly, was that her failing eyesight meant Twitter had arrived too late for her! Clare Hollingworth was selected in 35th place on the list.

PS - She also saved about 3, 000 refugees from the Nazis, but wouldn't like us to go on about it.

• Like 3

How late tonight?

Oh ye of little faith - I was clearly in shock that my copy of Frontline has gone up in value in 24 hours by a few hundred, according to Amazon. Hah.

• Like 1

I'm away to pretend I know all about him...

ZHOU NOW GONE

2/50

220px-Zhouyouguang2012.JPG

14th January 2017

Chinese linguist Zhou Youguang has died aged 111 to give The Crowdsourced Deathlist it's second hit of the year. In the 1950s, Zhou worked with the Chinese government to aid literacy in the country, and came up with Pinyin, a simplified pronunciation of standardized Chinese. This didn't stop him being sent for "re-education" during the Cultural Revolution, where he spent two years in a forced labour camp, and that in turn didn't stop him campaigning for political reform in his homeland even into his 12th decade. A super-centenarian, Zhou Youguang outlived two of his own children, translated the Encyclopaedia Britannica into Chinese, and had many of his books banned in China. He was appearing in 49th place on this list, as a late substitute due to the "25 +1" rule.

Editors note: Actually, he seems like quite a fascinating character, the little I just picked up about him!

• Like 1

Not a bad start to the year!

I count 11 likely further topplers among our 50 on health grounds too (Bracknell, King Michael, Booth, Campbell, Downie, Joost, Karl, Christie, Coward, Skellern, Wetton), not to mention the number of highly frail folk, and folk who have 50/50 long term health issues. Or are just plain old.

I think you should start preparing Bush's obituary; he looks like a goner.

Sod's law happened. We had our first ever Crowdsource Deathlist miss.