msc

The 2Nd Crowdsourced Deathlist (2017 Edition)

3 hours ago, msc said:

With just under 4 months before 2018 (already?), still far too much time before nominations open for the 2018 Crowdsourced Deathlist! However, an announcement of a minor rule change. Testing this out in 2018, to see if it influences turn out, but you will not need to submit 50 names for a vote to count. 50 is cool, the more of those the merrier, but many of us don't have the time or inclination to name so many people for a non-reward game. So, this November, when nominations for the 3rd annual list open, people will be allowed to send in a list of between 12 minimum and 50 maximum people.

This will be tested out for the 2018 version, and if it doesn't work (ie we don't have much of a change in volume of voters), I reserve the right to revert to previous for 2019, if we're still here of course.

Can I suggest a better way of doing this test would be running the pool as normal and asking for the list people would have sent if they had been allowed fewer.

The majority of us tend to just submit out shadow lists to this, so it's not that much hard work. Even if we have less than 3 or 4 entries that's enough for a pool to go ahead. This seems like a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it to me, can't see the need for a new pool. Not to mention this will make things a bit skewed towards the top if people use it; you'll have absolute nobodies getting into the list as the bottom 20 because everybody but a pissed up Love Island fan submitted 10 name teams of roughly the same group of dead certs.

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 18:15, Joey Russ said:

Did another check and crossed out a few names who died since from that list. Anyone I missed from that list this time?

Mirelle Darc needs to be crossed off too.

Was convinced Bettencourt was on the list. As she got axed due to the 25 names from the previous year rule, that'll explain it. Knew one of them would go - sods law.

Bettencourt, WGS, Teddy Taylor - what is it with my migraines and a flood of celeb deaths in their wake...

• Like 1

LaMotta also went, meaning two list of the missed in one week.

3 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

LaMotta also went, meaning two list of the missed in one week.

Yeah, I went to edit him too only to see he wasn't on the list. I suppose with thousands of names mentioned on here regularly, and only 50 spots, it's a surprise that doesn't happen more often, tbh.

William G Stewart was shortlisted for 2017 too. Teddy Taylor was on the long list for 2016 but only off one or two lists tops so circa 20 points. But yeah, them's the breaks.

1 hour ago, msc said:

William G Stewart was shortlisted for 2017 too. Teddy Taylor was on the long list for 2016 but only off one or two lists tops so circa 20 points. But yeah, them's the breaks.

Stewart was one of mine, don't know if anyone else had him. 

The 25 carryovers only rule meant Bettencourt was axed but also that Bayldon and Pinyin guy snuck on, so still a bit more gain than loss.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2017 at 20:22, Death Impends said:

The 25 carryovers only rule meant Bettencourt was axed but also that Bayldon and Pinyin guy snuck on, so still a bit more gain than loss.

Of course with Liz Dawn's death now, that's level!

TILL DEATH US DID PART!

18/50

1800-3783.gif

26th September 2017

Actor Tony Booth has died to give The Crowdsourced Deathlist another hit in a highly successful year. Booth broke into stage and TV acting in the late 1950s after demob, and became most famous for the sitcom Till Death Us Do Part. As Mike, Tony Booth was the leftist counterweight to the ramblings of the other extremist, Alf Garnett. It was a role he was born to play, as a former Communist and life long supporter of the Labour party. He later became the father-in-law of the Prime Minister, after Tony Blair (husband of his daughter Cherie) became Prime Minister in 1997. Booth also made appearances in a range of shows from Family Affairs to Adolf Hitler: My Part in his Downfall. The widow of Corrie legend Pat Phoenix, Booth has died after a long illness.

Did another run through of that massive list. Did I miss anybody this time?

54 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Did another run through of that massive list. Did I miss anybody this time?

Yes, William G Stewart.

IN A WORLD POSSESSED BY THE HUMAN DEATH

19/50

gord-downie-tragically-hip-performance-b

18th October 2017

Singer Gord Downie has sadly died after a long battle with cancer to give The Crowdsourced Deathlist another success. Downie, a prolific songwriter, formed his band, The Tragically Hip, while still in secondary school in 1984. From then until 2016, they released fourteen studio albums, and got their big break outside their homeland with a top 20 US hit in 1993 with Courage. They had a Canadian number one (Ahead by a Century) and a large number of top ten hits, but they were primarily an albums band. The Hip's last album, Man Machine Poem, focused on the themes of death and loss, and was critically acclaimed, though Downie claimed the songs had been written before he knew he was ill. In recent years, Downie had been involved in indigenous civil rights and other charity work. He was only 53, and making his debut on the list.

With two months to go, the 2017 list has smashed its previous record of 14 by a considerable distance.

• Like 1

24 HOURS IN THE DEATH OF A WOMAN

20 (TWENTY!)/50

1200px-Danielle_Darrieux_Five_Fingers_2.

19th October 2017

Acclaimed French actress Danielle Darrieux has died at the old age of 100, to give The Crowdsourced Deathlist yet another success. A massive star in her native France, Danielle Darrieux's acting career started in 1930 and continued into her 80s. She became known in America for roles in Rich, Young and Pretty and Alexander the Great, and replaced Kate Hepburn in a Broadway musical about Coco Chanel. She made many films in France, and infamously 24 Hours in the Life of a Woman was to headline the Cannes festival cancelled in 1968 due to the mass civil unrest in France. In 2007, she was the voice of the grandmother in Oscar nominated animated film Persepolis. Darrieux made her Deathlist debut in a creditable 28th place, and is the twentieth hit of the year, a result only previously seen by the legendary Italian Deathlist, which has far more names. There can be no arguments that this has been a staggeringly successful year for the Crowdsourced Deathlist.

• Like 3

I was curious and went to compare how this list would do if it had 100 names like the Italian one. Ditto 25 names only from 2016. Result - 29/100 so far.

What this (20/50, 9/50) tells me is that group think was, overall, reasonably successful in determining which of the popular picks were likely to die and which would linger into 2018.

So given Crowdsourced is at 20/50, I think the chance of it hitting the magical 25 (and thus meaning that the 'only the top 25 remaining from last year' rule becomes moot) is pretty decent. Holding out hope that the main list hits it too, but somehow I don't quote see that happening just yet...

I'm fairly confident at this stage that the 25+ rule wont be needed in 2018, mostly down to the vast array of new names which look like good bets to make their debut.

• Like 3

Did another run through of that massive list. Again, comment if I missed someone again (I have at least missed one person every time I ran through the list, so I'm kind of expecting to have missed someone now...)

21 fallers so far from my list.   25 looks possible, but (to quote one of our misses) you never can tell.

So around the start of November, I'm going to open the thread for the 2018 game. The start of November is next week... :o

Then, if we completely steal the Slam Guide stuff everything is using now (since MPFC came up with it), then that allows folk to bring up names they think should be on the list. And, as it's not a competition per say, there's more of a lobbying aspect to it. You'd be trying to convince other voters why they should spend one of their spots on the person.

• Like 2

This list comes of age with its 21st hit...

AIN'T THAT A SHAME?

21/50

MI0001866283.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

25th October 2017.

Legendary rock and blues pioneer Fats Domino has quickly joined contemporary Chuck Berry on stage at the great gig in the sky, by dying aged 89. Fats Domino was one of the original rock megastars, with five albums gaining a million sales each before the age of 27. He would later make 65 million sales by the end of that decade alone. His music was heavily covered by white musicians (Pat Boone once got a number one off a hit - Ain't That A Shame - as his version got the radio play the original didn't) but Domino was regarded by all audiences, and his music helped break down boundaries. He became a heavy influence on the Beatles, Elvis Presley, and even the early ska and reggae of the 1950s and 60s. Others who counted Domino as a direct influence on their music included Elton John, Neil Young, Willie Nelson and the late Tom Petty.  His love of his native New Orleans meant he even turned down appearances at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and the White House in later years, with not even a hurricane shifting him. Despite being seriously unwell at the time Hurricane Katrina hit his home, Domino proved to be made of hardy stuff, and survived not only the rest of the Bush Administration, but the Obama and likely most of the Trump ones too. Fats Domino was appearing on his 2nd Crowdsourced list, and was in 31st place.  With two months until January 1st, we are now at twenty-one successful hits from fifty, and the list wouldn't blame any of its survivors if they were planning a swift health checkup with their GP.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2017 at 23:19, The Dead Cow said:

Edit: Apparently I'm an idiot as I had no idea that there was a living Liz Smith... and there is!  :banghead:

Well, she’s dead now...