Joey Russ

Biggest Misses By The Committee 2017

4 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Scott should have been on the list until he died, stage 4 C and all.  But no, another annual Fats Domino or whatever is what we get instead.  SMH

He wasn't, maybe because no one know who he is.

And of course they're going to have Fats, he is a huge star and one of the very last pioneers of the formative years of rock and roll. How often do you have the chance of having a Deathlist pick who had a #1 R&B hit in the 40's? That's years before Elvis even knew how to hold a guitar. Plus, they have already missed Chuck Berry, so rest assure that they will keep Fats here until the end.

And speaking of huge misses, Amy Winehouse is an obvious one. Yes, I understand she was only 27 but there was talk for like the last two years of her life that, lest she repends her ways, she was going to be the next member of the "27 club". She looked and sounded like a mess and I think it was not a huge shock when she died. In my opinion this is the kind of outside the box thinking that the Commitee should have more of. They should be brave enough to put walking human messes like Lindsay Lohan and Amanda Bynes on the Deathlist, and not people like Olivia de Havilland and Betty White who will probably outlive half of this forum's posters.

Sir Creep, you are obviously unaware of the fame level rules. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Life Is Beautiful said:

And speaking of huge misses, Amy Winehouse is an obvious one. Yes, I understand she was only 27 but there was talk for like the last two years of her life that, lest she repends her ways, she was going to be the next member of the "27 club". She looked and sounded like a mess and I think it was not a huge shock when she died.

Hmmm, as I remember Amy's death was a bit unexpected as she seemed to have turned a corner and cleaned up her act.  I'm sure I wasn't the only one who had dropped her from my lists.   (Of course I was kicking myself for failing to register the 27 thing.)

• Like 1

This is my basis for calling it a big miss.  Sorry I didn't attach originally, but I stated as much.  I laid the groundwork and basis for his inclusion, and any misgivings I may be stating are overcome by my having included him in my own DP I run (which allowed me to take the lead from another pesky entry lol) prior to this Jan 2, 2017 post, so money was where my mouth was.  It's a miss, the writing was on the wall, and here on DL.  I'm aware the committee is inclined to include names that will drive traffic to the site rather than the 50 most likely to die, but Daisy Berkowitz falls into the exact mix they are looking for (fame, searchability, likelihood of death), and frankly, people interested in Daisy are FAR more likely to hang around here and build a user base (isn't that the website's goal?) than Fats fucking Domino fans.  It's not just a big miss, it's one of the biggest as far as whoever runs this site should be concerned. 
SC

Didn't Berkowitz leave the Marilyn Manson band before they had any major successes? One of those bands where I could only ever see the frontman making the DL front page (if he fell ill that is).

• Like 1

I note the lack of major news sites releasing an obituary for him (BBC, Guardian, NYT, etc), so like I said, he’s not really a miss at all...

• Like 1

Yeah, he was actually in the band when they were technically still "Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids", he left before the release of Antichrist Superstar which was the first time anyone actually heard them outside of their home state.

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Hmmm, as I remember Amy's death was a bit unexpected as she seemed to have turned a corner and cleaned up her act.  I'm sure I wasn't the only one who had dropped her from my lists.   (Of course I was kicking myself for failing to register the 27 thing.)

To be fair a contributing factor in Winehouse's death was the impact on her slight frame of withdrawl (i.e. getting well mad her ill, kinda thing) and that's not something we could have predicted with any accuracy unless we were privvy to medical information. It's known to happen but the severity depends on a lot of variables. Some of our regular teases - notably Gazza - get rehab and relapse without the same level of problem despite also seeming to be serious addicts.

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

but Daisy Berkowitz falls into the exact mix they are looking for (fame, searchability, likelihood of death), and frankly, people interested in Daisy are FAR more likely to hang around here and build a user base (isn't that the website's goal?) than Fats fucking Domino fans. 

Are you really comparing the lead guitarist of a band that is only known to the public for its lead singer (here's how unimportant the other guys are: dude named it after himself!, no Marilyn Manson Band or anything, just Marilyn Manson!), a guitarist who left the band before they even hit their musical peak, to one of the greatest artists in history? Inarguably a top 10 artist in terms of influence and acclaim and the FIRST ONE to be included in the R&R Hall of Fame?

I know this forum is sometimes a bit on the sarcastic side (and I love it) but COME ON PEOPLE!

• Like 2

On 6/17/2017 at 11:05, drol said:

Liam Cosgrave is a miss.

Reveal hidden contents

Read this again in three months and it will make sense.

3 and a half months later...

• Like 3

On 10/23/2017 at 08:37, Sir Creep said:

Because he was on my home DP list (2 years running), I'm throwing Daisy Berkowitz/Scott Putesky's name as a huge miss.  The Committee is beholden to naming the 95+ contingent 'cuz they're due to die' and leaves actual ILL people off the list, my ongoing complaint that lands on deaf ears.  Scott should have been on the list until he died, stage 4 C and all.  But no, another annual Fats Domino or whatever is what we get instead.  SMH

SC

(Edit -- this means we will be reading about Fats later today lol)

Only off by two days!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

^ Just seen that. Is there anyone on here who didn't tempt fate? And if so, can the regulars all start saying, I dunno, "that Al Baghdadi is just so damn healthy..." Thanks in advance.

• Like 1