Gooseberry Crumble

6. Ethel Kennedy

met ethel once a few years back. she looked...92. nothing else of interest just wanted to brag for a second

• Like 3

On 06/01/2024 at 19:34, jimbean1121 said:

met ethel once a few years back. she looked...92. nothing else of interest just wanted to brag for a second

I met her too. She lives a town over from me on Cape Cod.

• Like 3

On 03/01/2024 at 19:41, lilham said:

She hasn't told her son RFK Jr to shut up in like 2.5 years, and he's been a trainwreck this year. The other Kennedys did the duty.

It did seem as if he was uninvited to their Fourth of July, and Ethel is wheelchair bound. I do think Ethel is a good pick.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/02/12/rfk-jr-super-bowl-ad-00140922

More of the Kennedy family has told RFK Jr. to shut up again, but Ethel is silent.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, lilham said:

New photo of Ethel Kennedy with her family last week on her 96th birthday: https://people.com/ethel-kennedy-rare-appearance-photo-96th-birthday-celebrations-8630561

Her son RFK Jr. and his wife Cheryl Hines did make the event.

Enclosed a zoomed-in shot, Ethel's in white.

Ethel-Kennedy-Makes-Rare-Appearance-in-Family-Photo-from-96th-Birthday-Celebration-041224-1-6ffefc705a4a4bca94f59b9c9de7aee8.jpg

Looks fine? At least in this photo... Some of her relatives need to learn how to smile for photos though - they look unhinged!

• Like 2

On 17/04/2024 at 20:47, lilham said:

New photo of Ethel Kennedy with her family last week on her 96th birthday: https://people.com/ethel-kennedy-rare-appearance-photo-96th-birthday-celebrations-8630561

Her son RFK Jr. and his wife Cheryl Hines did make the event.

Enclosed a zoomed-in shot, Ethel's in white.

Ethel-Kennedy-Makes-Rare-Appearance-in-Family-Photo-from-96th-Birthday-Celebration-041224-1-6ffefc705a4a4bca94f59b9c9de7aee8.jpg

While I understand the article attributes this photo to being taken in 2024, I do not believe this photo is current. Joe Kennedy III who is seated in front of the photo is holding what appears to be his baby son who was born in 2017. It's possible it could be another relative but it seems unlikely. Also the little girl in the top right of the blow up with the red bow appears to be Joe Kennedy III's daughter, Eleanor who was born in 2015. I suspect this photo dates to 2018/2019.

Screen Shot 2024-04-21 at 9.52.48 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, dimreaper said:

Thanksgiving of 2018.

Wow, then scratch all that. I wonder what her condition is.

• Like 1

I knew something was off. I grew up a town over from Ethel's Hyannis Port compound. Family gatherings are unheard of outside of Thanksgiving and the summer. I don't know the family personally, but her absence from the local 4th of July parade the last several years has led many locals to believe she is quite frail and it's unlikely she is able to leave home. Very little has been seen of her locally since her granddaughters fatal drug overdose, which occurred inside her home almost five years ago. It's said that really broke her spirit. Again, I have no inside knowledge, just local gossip. 

• Like 6

Not surprised that Kirsty used to work for Reach PLC. Looking forward to seeing her in her next role at KOMI Group, as a Facebook clickbait narrator, who pops up at the end of cat videos and goes "I said oh my, what a marvellous cat".

14 minutes ago, dimreaper said:

I knew something was off. I grew up a town over from Ethel's Hyannis Port compound. Family gatherings are unheard of outside of Thanksgiving and the summer. I don't know the family personally, but her absence from the local 4th of July parade the last several years has led many locals to believe she is quite frail and it's unlikely she is able to leave home. Very little has been seen of her locally since her granddaughters fatal drug overdose, which occurred inside her home almost five years ago. It's said that really broke her spirit. Again, I have no inside knowledge, just local gossip. 

Very much as I understand as well (via the MA rumour mill, though I'm not from that part of the state people tend to talk). If there would have been an emergency or otherwise out of order family gathering, it also likely would have ended up on one of the affiliates out of Boston, as is it normal Kennedy family gatherings tended to get good press coverage at least when I was growing up.

• Like 1

Her daughter Kerry's instagram page really gives the best clues to her current state of health. The last verifiable photo of her that can be found is of her with former Ukrainian first lady, Kateryna Yushenko which was taken during Labor Day weekend of 2022. There is a video on her page from April 11, 2023 which shows a large group of family members singing happy birthday to her, however, whoever was filming the video was very careful to omit her face which indicates to me that her health has gotten to a stage where the family does not wish for her to be seen. I am fairly certain there will be no more publicly released images of her. The Kennedys are still very much an appearance driven family, and are very restrictive about releasing images that depict its members in ill health. They did the same thing with Rose Kennedy following her debilitating stroke back in either '83 or '84. Rose's 100th birthday in 1990 was a major milestone that much of the Boston media covered, and was marked with numerous interviews with younger family members discussing her contribution to American society and family stability. Despite the major event, no photographs of her were released to the press, which was in stark contrast to her 90th birthday celebration in 1980 where she greeted well wishers and the press from the balcony of her house. To this date, the family has not released any photos of Rose Kennedy during the final decade of her life. The only known photographs of her came from journalists who managed to snap a few pics of Ted Kennedy wheeling her in her wheelchair outside her home sometime in the early 90s. 

Screen Shot 2024-04-22 at 12.42.07 AM.png

• Like 3

On 22/04/2024 at 01:02, dimreaper said:

Her daughter Kerry's instagram page really gives the best clues to her current state of health. The last verifiable photo of her that can be found is of her with former Ukrainian first lady, Kateryna Yushenko which was taken during Labor Day weekend of 2022. There is a video on her page from April 11, 2023 which shows a large group of family members singing happy birthday to her, however, whoever was filming the video was very careful to omit her face which indicates to me that her health has gotten to a stage where the family does not wish for her to be seen. I am fairly certain there will be no more publicly released images of her. The Kennedys are still very much an appearance driven family, and are very restrictive about releasing images that depict its members in ill health. They did the same thing with Rose Kennedy following her debilitating stroke back in either '83 or '84. Rose's 100th birthday in 1990 was a major milestone that much of the Boston media covered, and was marked with numerous interviews with younger family members discussing her contribution to American society and family stability. Despite the major event, no photographs of her were released to the press, which was in stark contrast to her 90th birthday celebration in 1980 where she greeted well wishers and the press from the balcony of her house. To this date, the family has not released any photos of Rose Kennedy during the final decade of her life. The only known photographs of her came from journalists who managed to snap a few pics of Ted Kennedy wheeling her in her wheelchair outside her home sometime in the early 90s. 

Screen Shot 2024-04-22 at 12.42.07 AM.png

Unlike Rose however, there is no indication that Ethel will last another decade...