msc

The 3rd Crowdsourced Deathlist (2018 edition)

Could it be that he meant to pick Gerry Marengo by chance? Too bad, he died in 2016

We’re now 2 ahead of the deathlist, and hopefully we will finish ahead of them, again.

FACTS OF DEATH

8/50

charlotte_rae_gettyimages-698115042_1280

6th August 2018

Actress Charlotte Rae has died to give The Crowdsourced Deathlist another success. She was best known as Edna Garrett in Diff'rent Strokes (a show in which she outlived several of the younger cast), and the character was spun off into its own show, The Facts of Life.  Previously to the role which gave her fame, she had roles in all the early regular American TV of the 1950s and 60s, from Play of the Week to The Phil Silvers Show.  She also had success as a Broadway actress, twice nominated for Tony Awards. Rae continued acting well into her 80s with appearances in ER and Girl Meets World. Reports of Rae's battle with cancer were widely sourced last year, which led to her debuting on the list in 14th place.

• Like 3

ROTTEN LUCK

9/50

robbie-rotten-1502100684-list-handheld-0

21st August 2018

Icelandic actor Stefan Karl Stefansson has died of cancer to give The Crowdsourced Deathlist another success. Stefansson was a highly regarded actor in his homeland, appearing on stage in Shakespeare and Chekhov plays, and appeared in a number of Icelandic TV shows. However, he became world famous for his role as antagonist Robbie Rotten in LazyTown,  a popular kid's TV show (for which he self-taught himself English). Stefan was appearing on his 2nd list, and was 43. Despite the best efforts to be Number One, he was only selected in 20th place.

• Like 4

MCCAIN'S HAD HIS CHIPS*

10/50

McCains_campaigning_September_15,_2008.j

26th August 2018

Veteran American politician John McCain has died to give The Crowdsourced Deathlist another success and the third of August 2018. John McCain was the son of a US Admiral who was shot down during the Vietnam War, and spent 5 years as a Prisoner of War. He was released in 1973, and would later become a six-term Senator for Arizona. He became known for promoting causes unpopular within Republican circles (climate change for example) and, whilst his critics pointed out - probably justly - that this theatrical stance distracted from a mostly highly right wing voting record, McCain was still able to command respect across the political spectrum till the end of his life. Despite several documented foolish moments, such as backing the Iraq War, introducing the world to Sarah Palin and appearing on Monday Night RAW, McCain twice came close to the Presidency. In 2000, he came up against the Bush machine's smear campaign. In 2008, he beat a bunch of no-hopers to win the Republican nomination, but was unable to deal with the twin towers of Bush's record and Barack Obama. In recent years, he was a vocal critic of Donald Trump, and one of his last public appearances was to dramatically kill off the 2017 repeal of Obamacare. McCain was a war hawk and pro-asylum, a pragmatist and an ideologue, a man who could reach across the floor but follow his own party. A maverick persona was deliberately cultivated, but he was a man of great flaws and great successes impossible to fit into one box, in a world where so many politicians come from an identikit cloning box. This was his first appearance on the list, coming after a well publicised battle with brain cancer. He was 81.

*Yeah, the Deathlist got there first, it was in my notes and I'm too lazy to come up with a new one.

• Like 3

So, a bit of a random request I know, but would any of you be willing to send me a sample list of 50 (could be dead or alive) right now? I’m trying to test something out for the Crowdsource list process next year which could make the process for the host a little bit easier...

Alright, I did some internal debating on what potential changes will happen for the Crowdsource list next year, and while there were a couple of minor changes I was considering, I’ve decided to keep the submission process mostly the same. There are two things that will be changing though. First, I will allow someone to have their shadowlist as their Crowdsource list if they say that I can take that same list from that thread. I want to make it clear though that if you do decide to go that route, do not send me a separate Crowdsource entry for the list. It’s still one list per person. Secondly, I’ve decided to change the period of entry a little bit. The opening date that submissions will  be allowed is Black Friday (the exact time will be decided by the opening of the new thread), but I will be closing the submission of new lists 3 hours before midnight in the UK. The reason I’m doing this is to give me enough time to properly set up the list so I can announce it as soon as it midnight in the UK (it shouldn’t take that long since the test I ran was successful, but just in case...). While some might complain that this may make some of the late December hospitalizations less likely to make the list, I’d argue that  they weren’t likely to make the list anyways as a good portion of the list submissions would’ve happened before that date anyways. With that said, I’d expect the thread for the next Crowdsource list to be opened around the same time as the new Advent Avalanche thread, ie late October early Novemberish...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You're doing a grand job :)

• Like 1

IT'LL BE ALL DEAD ON THE NIGHT

11/50

denis-norden.jpg

19th September 2018

Only 14 people had been picked on all three Crowdsourced lists to date, and that number dwindles with the death of Denis Norden. Norden got his break in the 1940s writing comedy routines for other performers, and it was during this time he met Frank Muir. Together, they formed first a writing/performing partnership and also a friendship which lasted fifty years until Muirs death in 1998. They were the nucleus of early BBC radio comedy series My Word, a pioneer in the word of improv comedy: an example of the sort of malaprop that show relied on was "Infamy infamy, they'll all got it in for me". Shame no one ran with that one. In later years, Denis Norden became host of perennial favourite collection of TV goofs, bloopers and fluffs It'll Be Alright on the Night, which began in 1977 and is still running. Once asked if he'd thought that show would have lasted 30 years at the time, he quipped: "I didn't think I'd last 30 years at that time!" A reassuringly consistent figure on TV,  whose autobiography is refreshingly lacking in rancour (and indeed, biography!), Norden worked into his late 80s, and has died aged 96.

• Like 2

LA MUERTA

12/50

maxresdefault.jpg

6th October 2018

When the voters of this forum picked opera singer Montserrat Caballe for the 2018 Crowdsourced list, your honourable host wondered what they were thinking. Well, it turns out to be yet another case of What the hell Does he know, as Caballe has died to provide the list with its twelfth success of the year. Montserrat had a career in opera which stretched over 50 years, and saw her in demand in Europe and in Carnegie Hall. This high demand appeared to continue well into her 80s with the tax authorities in Spain. In the UK, she was probably best known for her duet with the brilliant Freddie Mercury. Barcelona reached 2nd in the UK Singles Charts in 1987. Caballe, who was 85, had been in poor health for some time, and so was selected in 33rd position by voters.

• Like 3

Just a heads up, the new Crowdsource list thread will be opened up in just a bit. It will open after I deal with the Advent Avalanche and figure out all the minor rule tweaks I plan on doing for this next year. Once the new thread opens, then you can start preparing on how to get Ozzy Osbourne on the list who you want to push for the crowdsource list next year...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LEE DISASSEMBLED

13/50

stan-lee.jpg.77c3e4eaedb2f32a2941c007e3e4ad9a.jpg

12th November 2018

Stan Lee, one of the most iconic and influential figures in the comic book world has sadly died to give the 2018 Crowdsource List another success. He first became an assistant to the very new Timely Comics division of pulp magazine back in 1939, which would slowly evolve into Atlas Comics and then into the now very well known Marvel Comics. Starting with the Fantastic Four in 1961, he collaborated with the likes of Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko on many iconic characters that are beloved today, among them Spider-Man, Iron Man, and the X-Men, which made Marvel become DC Comics most serious competitor. While he did quit writing monthly comics in 1972 in order to focus on being the publisher, his influence there was undeniable. In more recent years, he became the public face of Marvel comics and became an icon to a new generation by making a cameo appearance on nearly every Marvel film since 2000. It hasn't been great for him recently, as last year he lost his wife of nearly 70 years, and this year he had to deal with a bout of pneumonia as well as multiple lawsuits against him. It definitely took a toll on him, as another medical emergency took his life aged 95. He was making his first appearance on the list, going all the way to spot #34.

*Technically I don't take over until the beginning of next year, but msc gave me permission to write up this one as a way to test the waters on writing obituaries for future hits. 

• Like 5

READ MY LIPS: NO MORE DYING

14/50

image.png.65f5736d7f48fa3d2a7d030ae30e6f1d.png

1st December 2018

Former President of the USA, George HW Bush, has died to give The Crowdsourced Deathlist another success. Before becoming President, Bush Sr was a WW2 war hero, an oil tycoon, a politician, Ambassador to China, and Director of the CIA! Presumably his knowledge of where every body was buried (including the ones scheduled to die in the future) meant his candidacy as Reagan's Vice President was no brainer. That, or all the sex (his words, not mine!). His campaign for Presidency used the dirty tricks book of Atwater and Stone, and worked, although he probably would have won in 1988 anyhow, given he was facing Michael Dukakis, the worst Democratic candidate for President in the last 35 years bar Hilary Clinton, John Kerry, Al Gore and Walter Mondale! As President, Bush famously tried to increase literacy rates among kids, and rather infamously puked all over the Japanese Prime Minister. Despite having amazing poll ratings for 3 years and 11 months of his Presidency (possibly linked to wars!), Bush lost somewhat surprisingly to new kid on the block Bill Clinton in the 1992 election. He had six kids, none of whom are the worst living US President these days, somehow. He was 94, and his final act on Earth has been to give new TCD host Joey Russ a nervous breakdown presumably with all the subs needed for 2019.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, msc said:

He was 94, and his final act on Earth has been to give new TCD host Joey Russ a nervous breakdown presumably with all the subs needed for 2019.

Yep. Though I think it’s tradition that a name with a bunch of points dies before the starting line. See Zsa Zsa in 2016 and King Michael and Hallyday in 2017...

On 29/06/2018 at 23:42, msc said:

Right, here you go. As usual, any doublers come from not spotting a name to delete after points were added earlier (think I got all of those though).

/snip

172.                      14 points = Gal Godot, Luis Echeverria, David Bradley, Dorothy Manley, Albert Quixall, Jorge Pombo, Lester Piggott, Shirley Bassey, Pamela Sharples, Joan Plowright

Dorothy Manley, mentioned here and nowhere else, but is a current DDP selection, has died aged 94.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, time said:

Dorothy Manley, mentioned here and nowhere else, but is a current DDP selection, has died aged 94.

I wonder if she will ever get a DDP Q/O. Feels unlikely in time for January 1st.