msc

The 3rd Crowdsourced Deathlist (2018 edition)

Jim Stynes? 

Oh, Sally Farmiloe would have been on the list in 2014, as well as Bonnie Franklin and Van Cliburn in 2013...

For 2007, Luciano Pavarotti and Lee Hazelwood would’ve been certs. Also the two criminals who were associated with Saddam Hussein if unnatural deaths were allowed (can’t be bothered to remember there names)...

10 minutes ago, msc said:

I agree, but note the phrasing.

You mean "the current style of voting"?  If we don't keep to Deathlisty picks, the CSDL will just morph into a DDP style list.

7 minutes ago, Toast said:

You mean "the current style of voting"?  If we don't keep to Deathlisty picks, the CSDL will just morph into a DDP style list.

Well, there were already a few slip throughs in the past few years. Feek and Diski weren’t deathlisty but they made the list (Caslavka is borderline imo), and Skellern and Coward made it through in 2017...

TBF Skellern was actually discussed on here before we knew of his illness in a "I wonder what Peter Skellern is up to these days" post and the Archers are a UK radio institution. More justifiable than Feek by light years.

• Like 2

Yes, but.... that's democracy for you.

The second I (or the next host if there is one) start to monitor picks based on a nebulous idea (after all, ask 10 Deathlists what is Deathlisty and they'll give you 10 different answers) is the day the entire thing dies, imo of course.

I’m not saying that Coward and Skellern are in the same fame threshold as Feek, I’m just saying that they aren’t deathlisty names, imo. Feek is by far the least famous name to appear on the Crowdsource list, no doubt about that...

40 minutes ago, msc said:

Yes, but.... that's democracy for you.

The second I (or the next host if there is one) start to monitor picks based on a nebulous idea (after all, ask 10 Deathlists what is Deathlisty and they'll give you 10 different answers) is the day the entire thing dies, imo of course.

Not suggesting for a moment that the host does any monitoring.  I just think it's something that people need to keep in mind.

UK players would tend to be more in tune with the DL mindset, although it goes without saying that it's subjective up to a point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Well, there were already a few slip throughs in the past few years. Feek and Diski weren’t deathlisty but they made the list (Caslavka is borderline imo), and Skellern and Coward made it through in 2017...

Cavlavska is on a shortlist of one the most Decorated Olympians/Gymnasts ever. Nothing really borderline about her inclusion, even if she wasn't that famous outside of Eastern Europe it would be like a a Nobel Prize Winner or Henry Heimlich being included where their notability level and achievements trumps their fame level.

1 minute ago, CaptainChorizo said:

Cavlavska is on a shortlist of one the most Decorated Olympians/Gymnasts ever. Nothing really borderline about her inclusion, even if she wasn't that famous outside of Eastern Europe it would be like a a Nobel Prize Winner or Henry Heimlich being included where their notability level and achievements trumps their fame level.

That’s why I said she was borderline. No doubt she was highly acclaimed, but if your not into that field, you probably would’ve never heard of her (though the same could be easily said about Errol Christie). That said, she looked like a bad pick at the beginning of 2016, though it was pancreatic cancer that she was fighting...

Peter Wyngarde was on my list.

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

Peter Wyngarde was on my list.

Aye, 56 points in the end.

Jessica Falkholt got about 30 points too.

As far as I can see quickly glancing over my notes, no one even pretended for a moment Bobby Zarin was Deathlisty however. :D

• Haha 1

Incidentally, I might as well mention now that I intend to stand down as organiser of the Crowdsourced Deathlist at the end of this year, and so if forum members wish this thing to continue into a 4th year in 2019 and beyond, someone else will need to take over "host" duties. I was going to mention it later in the year, but I figured since it's decided, it might as well be mentioned now, to give others a chance to decide if they wish to take over.

• Like 3

Oh, I hope this continues for a long time yet, though I respect our decision to step down as host. If no one else volunteers to do it, then I can be of help for next year, assuming that everyone wants this to continue...

• Like 3

On 19/01/2018 at 13:26, Joey Russ said:

Oh, I hope this continues for a long time yet, though I respect our decision to step down as host. If no one else volunteers to do it, then I can be of help for next year, assuming that everyone wants this to continue...

Roey gets my vote!

• Like 1

On 1/19/2018 at 13:26, Joey Russ said:

9 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Roey gets my vote!

If Joey wants to take over for 2019, cool. Providing no one else jumps at the job to challenge him (heheh), luck and all that.

Just a heads up, I am preparing to practice writing obituaries for next year so I can get practice for next year. I’m doing this by writing obits for people that interest me for Alt obits. Already got one for Spanky Manikan, but I’m not sure when that will be on the site...

5 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Just a heads up, I am preparing to practice writing obituaries for next year so I can get practice for next year. I’m doing this by writing obits for people that interest me. Already got one for Spanky Manikan, but I’m not sure when that will be on the site...

The obits bit is the best bit. The totting up all the points is the least fun, but mostly is consigned to December alone. As luck would have it, December is usually my busiest work month by far!

On 1/21/2018 at 09:07, Joey Russ said:

Just a heads up, I am preparing to practice writing obituaries for next year so I can get practice for next year. I’m doing this by writing obits for people that interest me for Alt obits. Already got one for Spanky Manikan, but I’m not sure when that will be on the site...

I did mention that I would be practice writing obituaries for next year. Well, I have written my first two now, and they are posted in the Alt Obits thread. Any criticism is accepted so when I write more obits later, they can be more well written...

31 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Any criticism is accepted so when I write more obits later, they can be more well written...

"Mark E. Smith was one of the most unique musicians that I have ever heard."

Remember that 'unique' means 'the only one of its kind'.  So avoid using phrases like 'one of the most unique'.   You can't qualify 'unique' - it either is or it isn't.

In this case, you might consider words like unusual, extraordinary, singular, unconventional ....

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Toast said:

"Mark E. Smith was one of the most unique musicians that I have ever heard."

Remember that 'unique' means 'the only one of its kind'.  So avoid using phrases like 'one of the most unique'.   You can't qualify 'unique' - it either is or it isn't.

In this case, you might consider words like unusual, extraordinary, singular, unconventional ....

'most singular'?????????????

• Haha 1