msc

Alt Obituaries Deadpool

This year I got Jayapataka Swami and Shmuel Kamenetsky rejected. In both cases I did not particularly understand why, but Kamenetsky shocks me a little more (Badaani was allowed last year).

Also I got Frank Caprio rejected when I subbed him in.

I think it's just ignorance of the candidate and a failure to check them out properly.  He rejected the Duchess of Kent one year.  I politely expressed surprise, pointing out that she was internationally familiar for presenting the ladies trophy at Wimbledon, and he backtracked, saying I could have her after all.  I suppose he assumed she was just some obscure British aristo and didn't bother to look her up.

• Like 1

I was shocked my entire team got in first time. I can only assume it's shite! :D

16 hours ago, drunkasaskunk said:

Am I missing something here?

How can a "pick" be rejected?

I don't play this particular game but I think keeping the picks to a certain degree of fame keeps the game more interesting for casual observers and also allows for a slight removal of the 'ambulance chaser' reputation that outsiders may label us with. Where there is ambiguity (or even delay) in the qualifying obituary can make it difficult for game runners to keep track of. In 20/20 I do not police picks but it is very much for the players to provide the evidence if their pick has peripheral fame credentials. I much prefer the Scavenger Hunt because the qualifying criteria determines the level of fame required although there were some issues with Olympic medal winning cyclists in the last game

Bibian Mentel was denied despite being a 3-time Paralympic champion. 

Jesus Candel was accepted despite being just some health/doctor influencer. 

I tend to just send in any names that may seem like they could pass the arbitrary line and just accept it when they don’t. I’ve asked about royalty before and they’ve said that unless they’re fairly prominent they won’t get accepted. 

15 minutes ago, Banana said:

Bibian Mentel was denied despite being a 3-time Paralympic champion. 

And this is exactly why it should be the mainstream media that decides (by publishing the requisite mention of their death) rather than some bloke sitting in his y-fronts eating a box of coco pops without milk.    (oops - I forgot I moved the mirror !!!!!) 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/disability-sport/60508601

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/01/sports/bibian-mentel-dead.html

https://www.nbcsports.com/olympics/news/bibian-mentel-paralympic-snowboarding

Just now, drunkasaskunk said:

And this is exactly why it should be the mainstream media that decides (by publishing the requisite mention of their death) rather than some bloke sitting in his y-fronts eating a box of coco pops without milk.    (oops - I forgot I moved the mirror !!!!!) 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/disability-sport/60508601

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/01/sports/bibian-mentel-dead.html

https://www.nbcsports.com/olympics/news/bibian-mentel-paralympic-snowboarding

actually, I'm glad it's not solely based on qo since it allows non-UK picks to be taken. 

• Like 1

Obviously I don’t play anymore, but one of my biggest shock moments was is the lead up in the 2018 pool where I decided to throw on Fu Da-ren as a replacement pick because I was curious. And was completely stunned when he was an acceptable pick. 

On 01/01/2024 at 18:38, Captain Hemlock said:

Looks like this pool finished with exactly 200 hits. Congrats to @gcreptile who appears to be the champion.

Well... I accept, lol

I think it's over now, scores updated for Johnny Ruffo's bonus.

Now, more recently, I think my pick Glen Cochrane managed the rare feat of not getting a QO in spite of being accepted.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Well... I accept, lol

I think it's over now, scores updated for Johnny Ruffo's bonus.

Now, more recently, I think my pick Glen Cochrane managed the rare feat of not getting a QO in spite of being accepted.

I picked Munawwar Rana and he got the same obits as Rashid Khan, so I'm gonna complain a lot if he does not score.

1 minute ago, drol said:

I picked Munawwar Rana and he got the same obits as Rashid Khan, so I'm gonna complain a lot if he does not score.

You were unlucky not to have a daily double with all these quick hits. Well done for picking these quick goners. I think one should go for those low-scoring but soon-to-be-on-their-way-out picks if a daily double is in reach.

But Rana should definitely have obited by now. So I assume they were not working on 2024 these past two days, so maybe Cochrane is still to be counted with the nhl.com obit which "should" be respected enough.

1 minute ago, gcreptile said:

You were unlucky not to have a daily double with all these quick hits. Well done for picking these quick goners. I think one should go for those low-scoring but soon-to-be-on-their-way-out picks if a daily double is in reach.

But Rana should definitely have obited by now. So I assume they were not working on 2024 these past two days, so maybe Cochrane is still to be counted with the nhl.com obit which "should" be respected enough.

I'm worried because Shih Ming-teh was already added to strikeouts and he died today.

I checked again and unexplicably forgot Munawwar Rana. Faulty brain.

Yeah, he was in the running for almost every month of my last year's DeathList Cup game, but I never added him to my AltObits draft. Stupid.