Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

Britney Spears, Kerry Katona, Heather Locklear et al.

Would you also look down upon those songwriters that cannot sing?

Would you berate cabaret singers who just manage to scrape by making a living singing in dingy clubs? They may not be a Sinatra or a Spears yet they sing a damn sight better than me! They still have talent and ability. The majority of the world's population are not be the best in their chosen field, that would be impossible, it just so happens that some careers tend to lead to fame and publicity.

You could take this example into any career and frequently there will always be more than one person working on a project. As they say there is no I in team. Everyone has a place in society.

On the premise that someone's perfomance is based on anothers work you would thus have to look down on the cleaner who uses commercial detergents, or the Pope for preaching from a ca. 2000 year old book, or the doctor saving lives based on tried and tested methods. Heck on this principle, you'd probably have to look down on your granny for reaching for the OXO, Betty Crocker etc. everytime you went to tea.

• Like 1

I see what you are saying, but songwriters write songs, poets write poems, and playwrites write plays. It seems very unreal to me if your known as this great singer, and people know you for your songs but the truth is you never wrote one word of it. Somebody else did. It is very fake to me.

If you are a song writer who doesn't sing, I don't see anything wrong with that. Because the words you write come from you. If you sing but don't write your songs, it makes a whole world of difference.

I see what you are saying, but songwriters write songs, poets write poems, and playwrites write plays. It seems very unreal to me if your known as this great singer, and people know you for your songs but the truth is you never wrote one word of it. Somebody else did. It is very fake to me.

If you are a song writer who doesn't sing, I don't see anything wrong with that. Because the words you write come from you. If you sing but don't write your songs, it makes a whole world of difference.

What about people who act but don't write their own lines? You don't say "Man, the writer who writes for Kramer had such a great line on the show the other night." You say, "Man, Kramer said the funniest thing."

There's different kinds of talent out there. Economics calls it specialization, where you do whatever you're relatively good at. Maybe Joe is a better singer and a better songwriter than John, but the world is better off if Joe does what he is more relatively better at - maybe that's singing - than if he wastes time trying to sing and write songs. More of both goods are produced (singing and songs) if each one sticks to what they do best instead of trying to do both.

What about people who act but don't write their own lines? You don't say "Man, the writer who writes for Kramer had such a great line on the show the other night." You say, "Man, Kramer said the funniest thing."

Your comparison is out of bounds. Acting is a whole different thing all together. It is known that Larry David wrote for Seinfeld and that many writers put together shows on TV. I've said all I needed to say, of course you can be a talented singer and sing songs you never wrote, but in my opinion if you have no talent of composing words or music, you shouldn't be looked at as somebody so great. They don't compare with those who do so. It is very fake to me.

By the way, we all know Seinfeld wasn't real life. :lol:

Your comparison is out of bounds. Acting is a whole different thing all together. It is known that Larry David wrote for Seinfeld and that many writers put together shows on TV. I've said all I needed to say, of course you can be a talented singer and sing songs you never wrote, but in my opinion if you have no talent of composing words or music, you shouldn't be looked at as somebody so great. They don't compare with those who do so. It is very fake to me.

By the way, we all know Seinfeld wasn't real life. :lol:

Okay I understand where you are coming from now. The likes of Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, Pavarotti and Billie Holiday should, under no cirumstances, be looked upon as great and thus of no comparison to songwriters such as Tim Rice, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Mike Stock, Matt Aitken and Pete Waterman to name a few. Not forgetting that Busted and McFly write their own songs AND play their instruments thus making them supremely more talanted than any classically trained opera star.

Then there is the occasional songwriter such as Janis Joplin? Subjective I know but I think she had a great voice shame she didn't write all her own material - do you descend a few rungs of the ladder so that you don't have to look down as far for someone like her?

Oh hang on a minute not all songwriters compose the music and not all musicians write the lyrics. Now where does that leave us in the grand scheme of who we should look down upon?

I think that's enough holes for now.

Sinatra was quite possibly the most influential vocalist of the 20th century. Miles Davis openly admits that much of his phrasing was based around his. Anyone who has ever sung into a microphone owes him some sort of debt, he pretty much invented the hushed confidential style of singing which, before electrical amplification would have been hidden behind any form of instrumentation.

Elvis, let's face it, pretty much invented manufactured white-boy rock and roll, so please Banshees, just this once, admit you are totally, inexcusably and utterly wrong.

So that means f**k you Elvis. f**k you Frank Sinatra. You aren't nothing special in the creative world.

Elvis, let's face it, pretty much invented manufactured white-boy rock and roll, so please Banshees, just this once, admit you are totally, inexcusably and utterly wrong.

No Anubis I agree with you. I've already said that Elvis was the king. He was influential. He is recognized as the profit of Rock N Roll. I've never put up an argument against that because there isn't a doubt in my mind. Sinatra was also a main influence among many, that is why I hold respect for them. But I do not respect the fact that they did not write their own songs. End of story, case closed.

I look down upon those people who call themselves singers and who can't write their own songs.

Pointing out the gaping holes in this ridiculous statement may be fun but trying to get our esteemed member from the eastern United States to see sense isn't worth the effort. It'd be infinitely more rewarding and manifestly easier teaching a dog advanced quantum mechanics. :lol:

Please stop encouraging Banshees by replying.

I look down upon those people who call themselves singers and who can't write their own songs.

Pointing out the gaping holes in this ridiculous statement may be fun but trying to get our esteemed member from the eastern United States to see sense isn't worth the effort. It'd be infinitely more rewarding and manifestly easier teaching a dog advanced quantum mechanics. :lol:

Schrödinger, he had a dog too?

Damn is that the time...I'll get me coat.

I've made my f*****g points clear now.. all clear. In your face. There is nothing to teach, nothing to learn. If you sing and don't write your own words your a f*****g fake. Your not real. I would feel pathetic singing a song some stranger wrote to be my own. It is talentless. All these drama queens today, and excuse me ...

they existed long ago then. Influential i'm sure, dance around and grin at the camera, o sure... the respect lives, great voices... but otherwise talking how real they are, i've realized they can be compared to the Seinfeld crue on set.

Guest john

I've made my f*****g points clear now.. all clear. In your face. There is nothing to teach, nothing to learn. If you sing and don't write your own words your a f*****g fake. Your not real. I would feel pathetic singing a song some stranger wrote to be my own. It is talentless. All these drama queens today, and excuse me ...

they existed long ago then. Influential i'm sure, dance around and grin at the camera, o sure... the respect lives, great voices... but otherwise talking how real they are, i've realized they can be compared to the Seinfeld crue on set.

Well said that man

It seems to me that all the talent dried up long ago and we are left with ( one the whole) is nowt much but karaoke singers.

All the best John , AKA Schism who forgot to log in.

Up the manufactured pop :D

Fair point, I kept meaning to stop pretty much for the reasons you mention but I couldn't help myself. I will try harder. I wondered when someone would say something like you have, it's probably overdue and I apologise if I've bored everyone to tears with my unnecessary persistence.

Signature also now sanitised. :D

Guest Guest_TheUnknownMan_*

I Guess i'll be putting her on my DDP for next year.

Settled the divorce. Good news for her, her friends and family, bad news for those with a long-odds deadpool pick.

Point well made CP. But Seinfeld might not be the best example cos I can't help but notice the brilliance of the writing AND of the acting. There's not many shows where that happens.

Point well made CP. But Seinfeld might not be the best example cos I can't help but notice the brilliance of the writing AND of the acting. There's not many shows where that happens.

Agreed. Not to mention that Larry David is very well known for other things, I really need to start watching Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I wonder how Britney feels having her thread hijacked, just like she hijacks legitimate news.

Guest Guest
I wonder how Britney feels having her thread hijacked, just like she hijacks legitimate news.

Hijacked.....hahaha....when she poots it is the lead story on the evening news....what is this world coming to?

Hijacked.....hahaha....when she poots it is the lead story on the evening news....what is this world coming to?

Sorry about that, I was logged out when I posted that, not trying to be anonymous, but anyway.

Sorry about that, I was logged out when I posted that, not trying to be anonymous, but anyway.

Not heard the term "poot" before. Hope I'm guessing correctly what that means. :crossbone:

Not heard the term "poot" before. Hope I'm guessing correctly what that means. :crossbone:

I thought 'poot' was a polite way to curse i.e. 'oh, poot!'. Would make sense of the above if it was a polite way of saying 'sh*t'...

Oh dear. Maybe they should have stuck Hawking or Ali in a spangly bikini and got them to open the show instead.

Video's gone already. Can you point us in the right direction 'arry?

Never mind, found one here.

Oh dear. Maybe they should have stuck Hawking or Ali in a spangly bikini and got them to open the show instead.

I dunno... I've been thinking about this. And I've studied the video. A bit. Quite a lot actually. In fact it's taken me ten days, wrist sprain and several stern warnings from Mrs BHB, but I have to say that I have reached a conclusion.

Many people have criticised her costume and suggested she's overweight, but I have to say that I still find her totally doable.*

Cheers,

BHB

*verb. Meaning to fancy in a rumpy-pumpy sort of way. Origins, probably, one of the Bronte sisters- source- The Pooka in the Dicky O' thread.

• Like 1