Guest Theo

Brooke Astor

Just managed to grab 5 minutes to take a quick look at the NY Times

Astor Painting Becomes Focus of Courtroom Battle

I just read through this article and am shocked. I mean, can you imagine going to all the trouble of living to be 104 years old, and then having to put up with all this shite? I am scandalised. If that were my son, I think I'd use some of my personal $60 million to have him "taken care of". Although, I suppose Mrs Astor is pretty much nuts now; I guess that's what her son has been banking on.

Of course, you can't really ever believe anything you read in the papers, so the actual scenario is probably totally different.

Hooray for Brooke.!If she really was being as badly treated as reported before, the change to decent nightwear, good food and her own bed may mean she'll be with us for a good few years yet.

Astor family feud - Son stripped of $3m annual salary

By JEANNE KING in New York

3 September 2006

Sunday Telegraph

THE son of a 104-year-old millionaire New York woman has been cut off from his $A3.02 million salary after allegations he kept his mother in squalid, abusive conditions, newly unsealed court documents show.

The ruling came in the public battle over the care of New York dowager Brooke Astor, the grand dame of New York philanthropy, who was said to be a victim of elder abuse at her son's hands, being forced to live in tatters after a life of luxury.

Manhattan Supreme Court Justice John Stackhouse ordered JPMorgan Chase Bank to pay the salaries of all staff who work for Brooke Astor except for her son Anthony Marshall and any member of her immediate family, according to the court documents.

That means Astor's only child will no longer be able to pay himself with his mother's money for his mother's care.

Astor has been at the centre of the dispute among the heirs of John Jacob Astor, who made a fortune in New York fur trade and real estate two centuries ago.

Her grandson, Phillip Marshall, has accused his father, the producer Anthony Marshall, of cutting back on everything related to his grandmother's care, from doctor visits to the brand of make-up she used.

The grandson also claimed in court papers that his father had ordered the household help to purchase cheaper versions of medicines, made her sleep in torn nightgowns, wouldn't buy her a new outfit for her 104th birthday, wouldn't pay for a beautician or make necessary repairs to her Park Avenue apartment.

Anthony Marshall has denied all claims and says he has never mistreated his mother.

The judge appointed Astor's close friend, Annette de la Renta, the wife of fashion designer Oscar de la Renta, as her "personal-needs guardian", and he directed the JPMorgan Chase bank to handle her finances.

The judge also ordered the hiring of a new cook to make sure Astor has "a healthy, varied and tasty diet".

Astor's grandson claimed his grandmother was being forced to eat "oatmeal and pureed carrots, pureed oats and pureed liver, Monday through Friday, for months on end".

Hooray for Brooke.!

Hello Mr Alphonsin, and belated welcome!

May I recommend a perusal of this thread, and in particular point #2 in our esteemed admin's first post in the thread. It explains how to put links of articles etc. into posts, so you don't have to post entire really long articles.

:party:

It explains how to put links of articles etc. into posts, so you don't have to post entire really long articles.

Noted. Some of the things I've posted can't be accessed by normal internet channels, though, but yes I'll make a point of linking rather than pasting things like that Sunday Telegraph story in future. Sorry.

Noted. Some of the things I've posted can't be accessed by normal internet channels, though, but yes I'll make a point of linking rather than pasting things like that Sunday Telegraph story in future. Sorry.

No need to apologise, Mr A! The nice thing about the DL is that it's not just entertainment, it's also a lifestyle an education. :party:

it's not just entertainment, it's also a lifestyle

Not to be rude, but it is almost a known fact that those who are original in what they do, never admit that they are essential at it. Those who do so are looked down upon as being a fraud or usually someone who has jumped into being something much to quickly. This would be a partial example. Even nearly all of us have the urge to speak out of turn as relation to what were trying to present. I should never say this after some of the most mindless, nasty, cold, and honest words you have said to me in the past, but I find you real and with all the respect I got to give, your so f****n original ie. So don't go ever making a non - original post like this again. Your of a better class then that.

Not to be rude, but blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. I should never say this blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, but blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah your of a better class then that.

Banshees, if I ever want your opinion I'll...

no wait...

I can't actually think of a scenario in which I'd consider your opinion insightful, useful, or of any value at all, so I can't really complete this sentence.

You can mock and sarcasticly throw around what I say, but one of these days ie my forgiveness will overwhelm you just like a woman loves her first born, just like how a dream comes true right before your eyes, just how the suffering slowly heals, just how the stakes are high and one rises to the occation, just how friends become lovers, and how enemies become friends, just like a promise is never broken, no matter if it's through a barrier made of hate or if it's made of steel, sworn and true are my words, And I say this in blood, pledge your time of denial, one of these days, one of these days ie, one of these days, you will know my love.

You can mock and sarcasticly throw around what I say, but one of these days ie my forgiveness will overwhelm you just like a woman loves her first born, just like how a dream comes true right before your eyes, just how the suffering slowly heals, just how the stakes are high and one rises to the occation, just how friends become lovers, and how enemies become friends, just like a promise is never broken, no matter if it's through a barrier made of hate or if it's made of steel, sworn and true are my words, And I say this in blood, pledge your time of denial, one of these days, one of these days ie, one of these days, you will know my love.

Is that a promise or a threat BS?

Is that a promise or a threat BS?

I think it's a promising threat or a threatening promise.

Man, any serious illness is good news for us in the current bleak circumstances.

At her advanced age I'm amazed she had treatment for skin cancer,

I bet she only got that because she's rich, she would've had no chance on the NHS.

She's 104 four, I think the recommeded treatment at that age involves dropping the patient out of a first floor window and then sending a bloke out with a dustpan and brush to sweep up the malignant skin that simply flakes off when she hits the ground. If she went private I think they'd do it differently, by tying her to the side of a wind tunnel.

You have to give this woman credit. I mean everytime I click her biography I take it as a 50\50 chance she is dead, but at 104, more then middle aged when all of you were born, she is still alive. I thought she would be gone last year, but it looks like 2007 is about to welcome her. Of course skin cancer might take it's toll before then? No matter how rich you are, and at 104 years old, how much treatement could you possibly buy? :)

With her money you could still be buying treatment a 104 years past your death! I'm sure someone would take the money and give it a go, the question is more to do with the amount of good you'd get from the treatment.

I thought she didn't have much money left.

Still a huge amount, but less than you'd expect for a woman who has given away over $200m.